Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Resolve shared libraries location at runtime ?

Resolve shared libraries location at runtime ?

Apprentice

Hi there,
Is there a way in which I can specify at runtime to an application
the locations of shared dynamic libraries on which it depends? I do
not want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other LD constructs.
My Shared libraries can be placed any place on the system by the end
user and I would like to use shared libraries from that location as
specified by user in a config file or as command line arguments .
I needed this, since I want my applications to be very portable
across platforms and install locations. Can I implement such a
functionality from outside my application i.e. do I need to add code
within my application to support such a scenario or does UNIX provide
me some means ?

My question is two-fold:
1. Can something that achieves this be built into my make build system?
2. How portable would such a solution be across the various UNIX
platforms ?

I would really appreciate all the help I can get on this. Thanks your
time..

Dhanvi

Victor Bazarov

Apprentice wrote:
> Is there a way in which I can specify at runtime to an application
> the locations of shared dynamic libraries on which it depends? I do
> not want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other LD constructs.
> [..]

There is no such mechanism in C++ language. There is no even such
thing as "shared dynamic library" in C++. It's all specific to your
platform.

Larry I Smith

Apprentice wrote:
> Hi there,
> Is there a way in which I can specify at runtime to an application
> the locations of shared dynamic libraries on which it depends? I do
> not want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other LD constructs.
> My Shared libraries can be placed any place on the system by the end
> user and I would like to use shared libraries from that location as
> specified by user in a config file or as command line arguments .
> I needed this, since I want my applications to be very portable
> across platforms and install locations. Can I implement such a
> functionality from outside my application i.e. do I need to add code
> within my application to support such a scenario or does UNIX provide
> me some means ?
>
> My question is two-fold:
> 1. Can something that achieves this be built into my make build system?

No

> 2. How portable would such a solution be across the various UNIX
> platforms ?

Not portable; Unix/Linux expect SO's to be in well known locations
(much like Windows).

> I would really appreciate all the help I can get on this. Thanks your
> time..
>
> Dhanvi

Try posting to:

comp.os.linux.development.apps