Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > PCI Slot/Card Question

PCI Slot/Card Question

stwebmail@gmail.com

If you are dealing with one PCI card, is there a way (from within a
dll) to find out which PCI slot that card is inhabiting (1 or 2 or 6,
etc.)? It doesn't matter if the solution is MFC, or straight C++/C,
just has to be on a Windows machine.

Ben Pope

> If you are dealing with one PCI card, is there a way (from within a
> dll) to find out which PCI slot that card is inhabiting (1 or 2 or 6,
> etc.)? It doesn't matter if the solution is MFC, or straight C++/C,
> just has to be on a Windows machine.

Not without Windows specific calls, and that's off topic here.

Ben Pope

stwebmail@gmail.com

I don't suppose you happen to know what those are do you?

Victor Bazarov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I don't suppose you happen to know what those are do you?

What part of "off-topic" is unclear to you?

stwebmail@gmail.com

How does your post pertain to this topic at all? Victor, Did you have
a suggestion on how to do this in C++? If not, why post? My original
post states it doesn't matter if it is an MFC solution.

This is a C++ question which is on-topic. I did post this in a Windows
forum as well looking for the Windows call. Since Ben knows there are
windows call to accomplish this task, I thought he could save me a lot
of time by just telling me what they are. This way I could tear the
Windows calls apart since I would actually prefer a C++ solution.

This is a C++ forum and I have a C++ question, so stop saying its
Off-Topic. An MFC solution may be, but again, I do not require one.

So does anyone else have any C++ related suggestions? If not, please
don't post and waste mine or your time.

Ben Pope

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How does your post pertain to this topic at all? Victor, Did you have
> a suggestion on how to do this in C++? If not, why post? My original
> post states it doesn't matter if it is an MFC solution.

I said it cannot be done without Windows specific extensions. This
group is about C++ language only.

> This is a C++ question which is on-topic.

It is not on topic, it cannot be done with C++ alone.

> I did post this in a Windows
> forum as well looking for the Windows call.

multiposting rather than cross-posting is generally considered rude on
usenet. It wastes time in duplicated effort.

> Since Ben knows there are
> windows call to accomplish this task, I thought he could save me a lot
> of time by just telling me what they are.

I do not know that there *are* Windows calls, I can only speculate that
there may be, and that they would be Windows specific. This is only one
problem of posting to the wrong group - simply that we do not and cannot
know the extent of every possible external library.

> This way I could tear the
> Windows calls apart since I would actually prefer a C++ solution.

There is no C++ solution. It is specific to the operating system, be
that Windows, Linux, DOS, or something else. C++ does not have access
to this information directly.

> This is a C++ forum and I have a C++ question,

This is a C++ _language_ group, you do not have a C++ _language_
question, as I said in my first reply.

> so stop saying its Off-Topic.

It is off topic.

> An MFC solution may be, but again, I do not require one.

You require an OS specific solution, as I said in my first reply.

> So does anyone else have any C++ related suggestions?

I think I've already mentioned that this cannot be done in C++, without
additional, OS specific libraries.

> If not, please
> don't post and waste mine or your time.

You do not have a C++ question, so stop posting and wasting *our* time.
I have already told you that your question is off topic. What part of
off topic do you not understand?

Ben Pope

Alex Buell

On 9 Mar 2006 08:41:56 -0800 (E-Mail Removed) waved a wand and this
message magically appeared:

> So does anyone else have any C++ related suggestions? If not, please
> don't post and waste mine or your time.

*PLONK*

I suggest others do the same.

--
http://www.munted.org.uk

"Honestly, what can I possibly say to get you into my bed?" - Anon.

Victor Bazarov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How does your post pertain to this topic at all?

My post pertain to this topic and to any other topic because it is related
to the _topicality_ of this newsgroup. Post on topicality are _always_
on topic.

> Victor, Did you have
> a suggestion on how to do this in C++? If not, why post?

Because you seem to have a misunderstanding on where to post.

> My original
> post states it doesn't matter if it is an MFC solution.

MFC is off-topic here _as_well_.

> This is a C++ question which is on-topic.

You've received one answer from Ben, you've also received one answer from
me to your duplicate post. There is *no* solution for your problem in the
C++ _language_. Can you get *that* into your head? C++ _language_ does
*not* have any means to manipulate or control or query *hardware*. None.
Whatsoever. Any solution is platform- or OS-specific. And insisting on
discussing those _here_ is bad manner. OS- and platform-specific things
are _off-topic_ in comp.lang.c++.

> I did post this in a Windows
> forum as well looking for the Windows call. Since Ben knows there are
> windows call to accomplish this task, I thought he could save me a lot
> of time by just telling me what they are.

Sure he could. Only *not here*. Windows API is off-topic here.

> This way I could tear the
> Windows calls apart since I would actually prefer a C++ solution.

There is *no* C++ solution. There _cannot_ be a C++ solution.

> This is a C++ forum and I have a C++ question, so stop saying its
> Off-Topic.

You *don't* have a C++ question. You have a PCI question. If you do not
understand the difference, I am sorry, but it's not my problem, is it?

> An MFC solution may be, but again, I do not require one.
>
> So does anyone else have any C++ related suggestions? If not, please
> don't post and waste mine or your time.

Read the Welcome message, read the FAQ, _before_ posting. Understand the
topicality of the newsgroup and try to contain your attitude.

stwebmail@gmail.com

This forum should be called "comp.lang.c++ just as long as you don't
ask any questions about anything in specific".

Ben - Thanks for trying to help.
Victor - If you don't have any suggestions or ideas pertaining
*directly* to the original post or a comment, don't waste everyone's
time by posting garbage trying to make other people look dumb. It is a
complete waste of time and should never be done.

With that said, I am never going to look at this post again.

Default User

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This forum should be called "comp.lang.c++ just as long as you don't
> ask any questions about anything in specific".
>
> Ben - Thanks for trying to help.
> Victor - If you don't have any suggestions or ideas pertaining
> *directly* to the original post or a comment, don't waste everyone's
> time by posting garbage trying to make other people look dumb. It is
> a complete waste of time and should never be done.

Well, that's good, because I won't ever see any of yours.

*plonk*

Brian