Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Free C++ compiler

Free C++ compiler

BobR

GB wrote in message ...

>If you choose MINGW, good luck figuring out what do download from the
>mingw site. It is a mess.
>Gregg

Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/
Easy way!

Add 'Msys' and you are close to Cygwin.
www.gnu.org

--
Bob R
POVrookie

pcnate@gmail.com

I would recommend dev c++ from bloodshed.net. Its free, come with great
IDE and is very easy to use making it easier to concenrate on the code.
Try it out. Based on gcc

Neil Cerutti

On 2006-03-09, BobR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> GB wrote in message ...
>>
>>If you choose MINGW, good luck figuring out what do download from the
>>mingw site. It is a mess.
>>Gregg

> Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/
> Easy way!
>
> Add 'Msys' and you are close to Cygwin.
> www.gnu.org

Msys stinks out of the box, IMO, due to the lack of info.exe and
man.exe, and any of the documents those programs might usefully be
used on.

You can correct these problems yourself, but it's a pain. If you're
already very familiar with all the GNU tools, then perhaps it is OK
out of the box.

--
Neil Cerutti

Noah Roberts

Praetorian wrote:
> > MinGW

> I can't find any .exe install files on the MinGW website, everything is
> in tarballs and gunzips. Doesn't that mean it is for Linux?

It just means you can't find it. I used the exe install for mingw only
a couple weeks ago.

BobR

Neil Cerutti wrote in message ...
>On 2006-03-09, BobR wrote:
>> Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/
>> Easy way!
>>
>> Add 'Msys' and you are close to Cygwin.
>> www.gnu.org

>Msys stinks out of the box, IMO, due to the lack of info.exe and
>man.exe, and any of the documents those programs might usefully be
>used on.
>You can correct these problems yourself, but it's a pain. If you're
>already very familiar with all the GNU tools, then perhaps it is OK
>out of the box.
>--
>Neil Cerutti

Msys does not stink! The rest of your statement, I can not argue with. <G>

I have a ton of GNU docs in my 'Library' directory on the win98 partition. I
also use wxWidgets, which has 'tex2html' to convert to/from several formats.
Some pain, but, not that bad.
Could be a nightmare for a newbie though. Better documentation is obviously
needed.

I seem to remember mention of 'info' and 'man' tools on the GNU site. I'll
check if I get some free time.
Hmmm. " man2html.c " URL: http://www.delorie.com/server/man2html.c
(if that link is still alive)
--
Bob R
POVrookie

mahurshi@gmail.com

Praetorian wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
> Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
> someone please suggest one to me?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

Get Borland C++ Compiler
http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

I have used it for a while now and it compiles like a charm.

Mahurshi Akilla

Sgt. York

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Praetorian wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
>> Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
>> someone please suggest one to me?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ashish

> Get Borland C++ Compiler
> http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
>
> I have used it for a while now and it compiles like a charm.
>

> Mahurshi Akilla

And yet another nice package to throw into the mix:

http://www.codeblocks.org/

-York

ian

lcc is another choice.