Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Free C++ compiler

Free C++ compiler

Praetorian

Hi,
I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
someone please suggest one to me?

Thanks,
Ashish

Praetorian

I forgot to mention this, I'm using Windows.

yangyuanzu@gmail.com

gcc

yangyuanzu@gmail.com

MinGW

Roshan Naik

Borland C++ Builder compiler:

http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

click on "Compiler". Its a free command line compiler.

Praetorian

> MinGW

I can't find any .exe install files on the MinGW website, everything is
in tarballs and gunzips. Doesn't that mean it is for Linux?

yangyuanzu@gmail.com

It's for Windows.
You can download the MinGW-5.0.2.exe

GB

Praetorian wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
> Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
> someone please suggest one to me?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

If it's for Windows, and you have a broadband connection, you might
consider downloading the free Visual C++ Express from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

It includes a complete IDE and a decent C++ compiler. You don't have to
use the IDE if you don't want.

If you would rather use GCC-based tools, you can choose either MINGW or
cygwin. If your focus is on being able to build software that originates
on Linux, I recommend cygwin (www.cygwin.com). Be sure to select the g++
compiler during setup (cygwin includes almost an entire set of Linux
user tools ported to Windows).

If you choose MINGW, good luck figuring out what do download from the
mingw site. It is a mess.

Gregg

Scott McPhillips [MVP]

Praetorian wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
> Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
> someone please suggest one to me?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is a free download:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

It will build "console" programs as is. Do that for learning C++. With
another free download (the Windows SDK) it can also build programs with
windows, buttons, mouse, etc.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Phlip

Scott McPhillips [MVP] wrote:

> Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is a free download:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/
>
> It will build "console" programs as is. Do that for learning C++. With
> another free download (the Windows SDK) it can also build programs with
> windows, buttons, mouse, etc.

http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe

That will install g++, along with zillions of free software goodies, from
ash to an X server (a kind of windows).

The bad news is (big surprise) it has no cute GUI. You must learn BASH
command lines to run it.

--
Phlip