Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > threaded system design advice?

threaded system design advice?

Paul Miller

I'm looking for an appropriate newsgroup to ask for input about
designing and implementing a good multi-threading system for a
consumer/producer-type user interface. Does such a specialized group
exist, or should I just ask here?

I'm also looking for recommendations on books about designing
multi-threaded applications.

Victor Bazarov

Paul Miller wrote:
> I'm looking for an appropriate newsgroup to ask for input about
> designing and implementing a good multi-threading system for a
> consumer/producer-type user interface. Does such a specialized group
> exist, or should I just ask here?

Ask here _only_ the questions related to C++ _language_. Since no
threading is defined in C++, it's rather hard to answer threading
questions without veering off topic.

> I'm also looking for recommendations on books about designing
> multi-threaded applications.

Ask in comp.programming.threads, I am sure they know.

Phlip

Paul Miller wrote:

> I'm looking for an appropriate newsgroup to ask for input about
> designing and implementing a good multi-threading system for a
> consumer/producer-type user interface.

Never use threads as a substitute for a good design.

If you start with a clean design, it will be easier to optimize,
concurrent-ize, or distribute. If you start with an ugly design, and
prematurely make it concurrent, it will become very hard to make clean.

And never use threads "because it's a GUI". Event-driven object models are
always superior to routines with nested loops.

> Does such a specialized group
> exist, or should I just ask here?

Google for a newsgroup that covers your threading library.

--
Phlip

Paul Miller

Victor Bazarov wrote:
> Paul Miller wrote:
>> I'm looking for an appropriate newsgroup to ask for input about
>> designing and implementing a good multi-threading system for a
>> consumer/producer-type user interface. Does such a specialized group
>> exist, or should I just ask here?

> Ask here _only_ the questions related to C++ _language_. Since no
> threading is defined in C++, it's rather hard to answer threading
> questions without veering off topic.
>
>> I'm also looking for recommendations on books about designing
>> multi-threaded applications.

> Ask in comp.programming.threads, I am sure they know.

Thanks - this is what I was looking for. I didn't see that in my initial
search for a newsgroup.