Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Wide Characters

Wide Characters

Tomás

Is the numerical value for a wide character the same as it is for a
normal character, by which I mean:

'a' == static_cast< char > ( L'a' );

'7' == static_cast< char > ( L'7' );

'k' == static_cast< char > ( L'k' );

'w' == static_cast< char > ( L'w' );

't' == static_cast< char > ( L't' );

I know that it is on MS Windows, but what about Standard C++?

-Tomás

peter koch

Tomás wrote:
> Is the numerical value for a wide character the same as it is for a
> normal character, by which I mean:
>
> 'a' == static_cast< char > ( L'a' );
>
> '7' == static_cast< char > ( L'7' );
>
> 'k' == static_cast< char > ( L'k' );
>
> 'w' == static_cast< char > ( L'w' );
>
> 't' == static_cast< char > ( L't' );
>

> I know that it is on MS Windows, but what about Standard C++?

I doubt that this has been specified. One could imagine e.g. a system
using EBCDIC for char and some unicode-format for wchar_t.

/Peter