Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Can C++ do it for me?

Can C++ do it for me?

Silas Justiniano

Hello all!

I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
Tcl/Tk.

So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
- it's fast.
- I don't need any interpreter or VM.
- I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
- I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.

I need a language:
- which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
platforms.
- which have web-integration
- which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
- which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)

I was thinking about:
- Tcl/Tk
- Mono
- Java
- C
- C++

What C++ can do?

I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

mlimber

Silas Justiniano wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
> only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
> I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
> is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
> Tcl/Tk.
>
> So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
> - it's fast.
> - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
> - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
> - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
>
> I need a language:
> - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
> platforms.
> - which have web-integration
> - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
> - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
>
> I was thinking about:
> - Tcl/Tk
> - Mono
> - Java
> - C
> - C++
>
> What C++ can do?
>
> I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

C++ can do just about anything. However, you'll have to use third-party
libraries to do the sort of things you're talking about, and that is
generally beyond the scope of this newsgroup.

Cheers! --M

Victor Bazarov

Silas Justiniano wrote:
> I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
> only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
> I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
> is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
> Tcl/Tk.
>
> So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
> - it's fast.
> - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
> - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
> - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
>
> I need a language:
> - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
> platforms.

You're probably going to face many platform-specific issues.

> - which have web-integration

C++ doesn't have that. Platform-specific libraries will help you.

> - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.

Again, that's not part provided by the language, it's usually served by
some kind of second- or third-party OS-specific library.

> - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
>
> I was thinking about:
> - Tcl/Tk
> - Mono
> - Java
> - C
> - C++
>
> What C++ can do?

Whatever you can do, C++ can do. _You_ are the programmer. Just like
a bus doesn't take you anywhere, it needs a driver. Just like skis do
not go by themselves, they need a skier. Just like planes do not fly
themselves, they need pilots.

Silas Justiniano

Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
these features, and it is cross-platform.

Bob Hairgrove

On 24 Jan 2006 08:06:11 -0800, "Silas Justiniano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
>only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
>I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
>is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
>Tcl/Tk.
>
>So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
> - it's fast.
> - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
> - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
> - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.

OK...

>I need a language:
> - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
>platforms.

OK...

> - which have web-integration

??? There is nothing in the C++ language *itself* that does
networking, let alone "web-integration" (whatever you might think that
is...) You will always need some kind of third-party library for that
kind of support. And whether or not that is platform-independent,
depends on the library implementation, not on the language C++.

> - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.

Again, 3rd-party libraries...

> - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)

Any compiled language can "hide the [source] code". However, most
likely you will have to recompile the source code once for each
platform you intend to support.

I can't tell whether or not that is an issue because I don't yet know
what you really want to do. But from what I have read so far, I think
you would be happier with Java than with C++. Again, I cannot say for
sure whether or not Java would be better for the task you have to do
because you haven't told us what it is. But you would definitely be
happier with it (...and I think we would be happier if you did...)

>I was thinking about:
> - Tcl/Tk
> - Mono
> - Java
> - C
> - C++
>
>What C++ can do?

It depends on:
(a) what you really need to do, and
(b) whether a 3rd-party library with a C++ interface exists which
does (a).

>I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

Please come back when you have a question about the ANSI/ISO C++
*language* -- that's what we discuss here.

--
Bob Hairgrove

osmium

"Silas Justiniano" writes:

> Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
> these features, and it is cross-platform.

From what little I know of Java, if I were you I would rephrase the
question: to "Why not use java?".

Pete Becker

Silas Justiniano wrote:
> Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
> these features, and it is cross-platform.

It's cross-platform for the platforms that it's been ported to. It's not
magic.

--

Pete Becker

Victor Bazarov

Silas Justiniano wrote:
> Are those third party libraries platform-specific? Java seems have
> these features, and it is cross-platform.

Java's not cross-platform, it _is_ the platform. Now that we got that
out of our way, yes, those third-party libraries _are_ platform-specific
but that doesn't necessarily mean that your code using those APIs is
going to be different for every platform. There are plenty of cross-
platform third-party libraries out there.

Cy Edmunds

"Silas Justiniano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all!
>
> I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
> only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
> I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
> is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
> Tcl/Tk.
>
> So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
> - it's fast.
> - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
> - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
> - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
>
> I need a language:
> - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
> platforms.
> - which have web-integration
> - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
> - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
>
> I was thinking about:
> - Tcl/Tk
> - Mono
> - Java
> - C
> - C++
>
> What C++ can do?
>
> I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

C++ can do what you need, but if I had your kind of project I would almost
certainly use Python:

www.python.org

DK

In article <JjABf.103438$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Cy Edmunds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Silas Justiniano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
> > only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
> > I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
> > is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
> > Tcl/Tk.
> >
> > So I'm here to ask you about C++. I know C++ has many cool features:
> > - it's fast.
> > - I don't need any interpreter or VM.
> > - I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
> > - I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.
> >
> > I need a language:
> > - which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
> > platforms.
> > - which have web-integration
> > - which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
> > - which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)
> >
> > I was thinking about:
> > - Tcl/Tk
> > - Mono
> > - Java
> > - C
> > - C++
> >
> > What C++ can do?
> >
> > I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.
> >

> C++ can do what you need, but if I had your kind of project I would almost
> certainly use Python:
>
> www.python.org

I agree. Python would be a good choice. Java would be also be, but
would be more involved than Python. Maybe Perl would be another
appropriate choice, but I prefer Python to Perl.

Chip Jarred
IODevelop, Inc.