Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Network Programming... Ugh!

Network Programming... Ugh!

Poly-poly man

First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
this message, direct me to it.

My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.

I thought of two ways of doing this:

1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
writing a bridging program in the process, or

2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.

This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
were to begin even.

Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?

thanks,
poly-p man

Andrew R

Poly-poly man wrote:
> First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
> this message, direct me to it.
>
> My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.
>
> I thought of two ways of doing this:
>
> 1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
> writing a bridging program in the process, or
>
> 2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.
>
> This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
> were to begin even.
>

> Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?
>
> thanks,
> poly-p man

Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?

Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...mp11-linux.htm

Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
seems very 1994

Poly-poly man

Andrew R wrote:

> Poly-poly man wrote:
>
>>First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
>>this message, direct me to it.
>>
>>My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.
>>
>>I thought of two ways of doing this:
>>
>>1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
>>writing a bridging program in the process, or
>>
>>2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.
>>
>>This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
>>were to begin even.
>>

>>Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?
>>
>>thanks,
>>poly-p man

> Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?
>
> Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
> http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...mp11-linux.htm
>

> Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
> seems very 1994

Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
and I need to write it.
Either that or a bridging program,
poly-p man

Josh Mcfarlane

Poly-poly man wrote:
> Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
> Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
> computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
> and I need to write it.
> Either that or a bridging program,

Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?

Josh McFarlane

Poly-poly man

Josh Mcfarlane wrote:
> Poly-poly man wrote:
>
>>Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
>>Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
>>computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
>>and I need to write it.
>>Either that or a bridging program,

> Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?
>
> Josh McFarlane

I've given that question to comp.os.linux.networking, with not much
info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?

poly-p man

Josh Mcfarlane

Poly-poly man wrote:
> I've given that question to comp.os.linux.networking, with not much
> info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?

This groups deals with the C++ language only. It cannot help you with
OS / Hardware specific questions.

Al-Burak

No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
to communicate with the wireless network.

Have a good one.

deane_gavin@hotmail.com

Al-Burak wrote:
> No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
> go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
> to communicate with the wireless network.

Since standard C++ knows nothing about driving specific bits of
hardware or wireless networks, such a question would be outside the
topic of comp.lang.c++. The first paragraph of this explains
topicality.

C++ language questions that come up while writing such a program are,
of course, relevant here (assuming they aren't answered already in the
FAQ).

Gavin Deane