Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > HELP: have to pass MCSD 70-315!!!!

Reply
Thread Tools

HELP: have to pass MCSD 70-315!!!!

 
 
P
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2005
Two weeks ago I had no experience in programming at all. To get a
particular jobcontract, I had to get two certifications in one month.
The first was the SCJP (Sun Certified Java2 Programmer) and the other is
MCSD 70-315. I studied about ten days for SCJP and passed it with a
score of 78%. But now I only have two weeks left for passing the MCSD
exam. At "my work", they gave me this book for studying:

MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with
Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual C#® .NET, Second Edition

http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6714.asp

They told me that should be enough to study for the exam. But after
about two days of studying, I started to panic a little bit. They keep
using code they don't explain. I understand the general story of the
book, but the details of the code is really Chinese for me. I mean: I
understand it, but I can never reproduce it myself. And if they will
ask questions like they did on the SCJP exam where it's important to see
why a certain code wouldn't compile or to see what the result would be,
I don't think I will be able to do that, just by studying this book.

So, my question is actually: knowing my background in programming and
stuff like that, do you people think the book I'm talking about is good
enough to prepare me for the 70-315 exam? Or would you recommend me an
other book? And is it important or not that I learn how to write the
code myself for the exam? Or that I really understand the code?

And one other thing: I'm using that book, but I don't have a copy of the
Visual Studio.NET program. They assured me it's not necessary to have
that program for passing the exam, is that true?


Thank you very much for helping me out!!

Kind regards,

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
P
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2005
Oh, I have one more question...

I can't find the details about the test. By Googling, I found the
passing score is 700. I suppose that means you have to answer 70% of
the questions correctly. Is that true? But what I didn't find: how
many questions will there be? And how much time will I get for it?

Thank you very very very much

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom Dacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2005
This is one of the finest trolls I've ever seen on this newsgroup. I'm just
slack-jawed in admiration. On the goofiest day I ever had, I couldn't have
come up with something like this.

Tom


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Meiresonne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2005
It's a fairly easy test. It contains 43 multiple choice questions.
Nevertheless, understanding the code in the book you use (I used the same
book) is necessary to pass comfortably.
But if it makes u feel better: I passed it with a 1000, in about an hour,
and of everybody I know, nobody has flunked the 315 EVER
Make sure you pass the questions in the book at the end of every chapter.

Groeten en succes!


"P" <"de_polle[geen_spam_gewenst]"@kotnet.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Oh, I have one more question...
>
> I can't find the details about the test. By Googling, I found the
> passing score is 700. I suppose that means you have to answer 70% of the
> questions correctly. Is that true? But what I didn't find: how many
> questions will there be? And how much time will I get for it?
>
> Thank you very very very much
>
> Paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
P
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2005
Tom Dacon wrote:
> This is one of the finest trolls I've ever seen on this newsgroup. I'm just
> slack-jawed in admiration. On the goofiest day I ever had, I couldn't have
> come up with something like this.


Euhm... Why is that? I have to pass the MCSD-exam, I am asking
questions about that exam, I'm asking it on the newsgroup
'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd', I'm asking question I couldn't find
answers for on the official pages...

So tell me: what was wrong with my original post? Maybe the questions
itselves sound stupid for you, but if you would know the reasons why I
have to pass this exam, you would understand...

Anyway: thanks to Kevin for answering my questions!

Greets,
Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Dacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2005
Sorry. I guess you're actually serious. No offense intended. I thought you
had made up an elaborate joke to infuriate some of the professional
developers who frequent this newsgroup. Posts from people like that are
called 'trolls', and are posted just to stir up the works and see if they
can get other people to fly off the handle. Then the posters, also called
trolls, just sit back and laugh and watch the fireworks.

Certified professional software developers consider their certification a
badge of recognition, that reflects deep knowledge and experience with the
software development platforms the certification exams test on. Developing
useful skills as a programmer takes a large, even huge, investment in time
and study, and professional developers naturally like to protect that
investment. There are few objective measures of programming skills, and
something like a MCSD certification is one of the most highly prized. What
it tells an employer is that you've come to the game ready to play, and
ready to play at a high level.

It seems to us, and here I'm taking the liberty of speaking for them too,
that someone who is completely clueless (as you admit yourself to be) yet
manages somehow to scramble through a certification test with a passing
score with no useful ability to apply what they claim to know, does nothing
but devalue and dilute the meaning of the certification. Suppose that
magically you manage to scrape by this test (I'll be astonished if that's
what happens). You apply for another job, proudly displaying your
certification. Pretty quick, say in less than a week, they discover that you
can't apply the knowledge that your certification claims you have, in fact
have no programming experience whatsoever, so they fire you, and rightfully
so. Now you've poisoned the well. The next guy who comes in their door with
a certification hasn't a chance with that company, even if he's got a
century of programming experience.

See what I mean?

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting


"P" <"de_polle[geen_spam_gewenst]"@kotnet.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Tom Dacon wrote:
>> This is one of the finest trolls I've ever seen on this newsgroup. I'm
>> just slack-jawed in admiration. On the goofiest day I ever had, I
>> couldn't have come up with something like this.

>
> Euhm... Why is that? I have to pass the MCSD-exam, I am asking questions
> about that exam, I'm asking it on the newsgroup
> 'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd', I'm asking question I couldn't find
> answers for on the official pages...
>
> So tell me: what was wrong with my original post? Maybe the questions
> itselves sound stupid for you, but if you would know the reasons why I
> have to pass this exam, you would understand...
>
> Anyway: thanks to Kevin for answering my questions!
>
> Greets,
> Paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005
The idea that you do not really need Visual Studio.NET or even past
experience programming to prepare for the MCSD exams leads me to believe
that your employer would not know their own a$$hole from a hole in the
ground. Have you ever considered just changing jobs? You are not going to
learn anything from these people.

"P" <"de_polle[geen_spam_gewenst]"@kotnet.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Two weeks ago I had no experience in programming at all. To get a
> particular jobcontract, I had to get two certifications in one month. The
> first was the SCJP (Sun Certified Java2 Programmer) and the other is MCSD
> 70-315. I studied about ten days for SCJP and passed it with a score of
> 78%. But now I only have two weeks left for passing the MCSD exam. At
> "my work", they gave me this book for studying:
>
> MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with
> Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual C#® .NET, Second
> Edition
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6714.asp
>
> They told me that should be enough to study for the exam. But after about
> two days of studying, I started to panic a little bit. They keep using
> code they don't explain. I understand the general story of the book, but
> the details of the code is really Chinese for me. I mean: I understand
> it, but I can never reproduce it myself. And if they will ask questions
> like they did on the SCJP exam where it's important to see why a certain
> code wouldn't compile or to see what the result would be, I don't think I
> will be able to do that, just by studying this book.
>
> So, my question is actually: knowing my background in programming and
> stuff like that, do you people think the book I'm talking about is good
> enough to prepare me for the 70-315 exam? Or would you recommend me an
> other book? And is it important or not that I learn how to write the code
> myself for the exam? Or that I really understand the code?
>
> And one other thing: I'm using that book, but I don't have a copy of the
> Visual Studio.NET program. They assured me it's not necessary to have
> that program for passing the exam, is that true?
>
>
> Thank you very much for helping me out!!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
Emma Burrows
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005
"P" <"de_polle[geen_spam_gewenst]"@kotnet.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> So, my question is actually: knowing my background in programming and
> stuff like that, do you people think the book I'm talking about is good
> enough to prepare me for the 70-315 exam?


Personally, I would say no. I had quite a lot of web programming experience,
but I didn't feel that book was going to get me through the exam at all. I
subsequently used the Que Training Guide for 70-315 by Amit Kalani (see
http://tinyurl.com/4rhh7), which made me far more confident, and indeed I
passed the exam first time. However, it's a hefty training guide, and I
can't really see anyone working through it in two weeks - the corresponding
Exam Cram book might be a better choice (search for "Kalani 70-315 exam
cram" in Amazon).

> other book? And is it important or not that I learn how to write the
> code myself for the exam? Or that I really understand the code?


You definitely need to understand how C# works in order to pass the exam, as
some questions can contain sample code (including SQL code, while we're on
the subject of languages you need to know).

> And one other thing: I'm using that book, but I don't have a copy of the
> Visual Studio.NET program. They assured me it's not necessary to have
> that program for passing the exam, is that true?


"They" don't sound as if they've looked at the name of the exam: "Developing
and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C# .NET and *Visual Studio
..NET*". However, you might be able to make do with just reading about how
Visual Studio .NET works. This looks like a good place to start:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/using/default.aspx. Concentrate on the C#
code and how the ASP.NET platform work, though.

Hmm. I hope I haven't depressed you too much with all this information.
Everyone is different, and another poster has already assured you that
everything you need to get 100% on the exam is in the Microsoft Self-Study
Guide. I just didn't find that to be the case.

Emma Burrows


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.854 / Virus Database: 582 - Release Date: 03/02/2005


 
Reply With Quote
 
Telmo Sampaio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005
Well put!

Telmo Sampaio
MCT

"Tom Dacon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry. I guess you're actually serious. No offense intended. I thought you
> had made up an elaborate joke to infuriate some of the professional
> developers who frequent this newsgroup. Posts from people like that are
> called 'trolls', and are posted just to stir up the works and see if they
> can get other people to fly off the handle. Then the posters, also called
> trolls, just sit back and laugh and watch the fireworks.
>
> Certified professional software developers consider their certification a
> badge of recognition, that reflects deep knowledge and experience with the
> software development platforms the certification exams test on. Developing
> useful skills as a programmer takes a large, even huge, investment in time
> and study, and professional developers naturally like to protect that
> investment. There are few objective measures of programming skills, and
> something like a MCSD certification is one of the most highly prized. What
> it tells an employer is that you've come to the game ready to play, and
> ready to play at a high level.
>
> It seems to us, and here I'm taking the liberty of speaking for them too,
> that someone who is completely clueless (as you admit yourself to be) yet
> manages somehow to scramble through a certification test with a passing
> score with no useful ability to apply what they claim to know, does
> nothing but devalue and dilute the meaning of the certification. Suppose
> that magically you manage to scrape by this test (I'll be astonished if
> that's what happens). You apply for another job, proudly displaying your
> certification. Pretty quick, say in less than a week, they discover that
> you can't apply the knowledge that your certification claims you have, in
> fact have no programming experience whatsoever, so they fire you, and
> rightfully so. Now you've poisoned the well. The next guy who comes in
> their door with a certification hasn't a chance with that company, even if
> he's got a century of programming experience.
>
> See what I mean?
>
> Tom Dacon
> Dacon Software Consulting
>
>
> "P" <"de_polle[geen_spam_gewenst]"@kotnet.org> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Tom Dacon wrote:
>>> This is one of the finest trolls I've ever seen on this newsgroup. I'm
>>> just slack-jawed in admiration. On the goofiest day I ever had, I
>>> couldn't have come up with something like this.

>>
>> Euhm... Why is that? I have to pass the MCSD-exam, I am asking
>> questions about that exam, I'm asking it on the newsgroup
>> 'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd', I'm asking question I couldn't find
>> answers for on the official pages...
>>
>> So tell me: what was wrong with my original post? Maybe the questions
>> itselves sound stupid for you, but if you would know the reasons why I
>> have to pass this exam, you would understand...
>>
>> Anyway: thanks to Kevin for answering my questions!
>>
>> Greets,
>> Paul

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
KMA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005
>>Now you've poisoned the well

Don't get me wrong, I take your point and I think it's a bit unrealistic to
sit the exams without practise at the IDE, let alone pointless because you
wouldn't be able to get anything practical done in a commercial
environment.....BUT

if HR departments are relying solely on certificates without checking that
the candidate can actually do the job then they're in for a rocky ride
anyhow.

>>There are few objective measures of programming skills


In a generic sense this is true, but if you're a VS.Net C# house and you're
looking for developers in this environment then give them a short test to
make sure they are familiar with the IDE. Something along the lines of a
Winforms app to convert Celsius to Farenheit. It doesn't have to be
involved. From my own experience, just telling potential candidates that
they face such a test as part of the interview scares off most of the paper
tigers. Of course, it means you reject candidates who were generically good
programmers but who weren't familiar with a particular IDE, which they
probably could have learnt fairly quickly. I remember one reply that was
given to an interviewee who claimed that it didn't matter that he had no
practical experience in a given language because he "could learn it in a
month". He was told "OK, see you next month for the test". He never turned
up.


"Tom Dacon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry. I guess you're actually serious. No offense intended. I thought you
> had made up an elaborate joke to infuriate some of the professional
> developers who frequent this newsgroup. Posts from people like that are
> called 'trolls', and are posted just to stir up the works and see if they
> can get other people to fly off the handle. Then the posters, also called
> trolls, just sit back and laugh and watch the fireworks.
>
> Certified professional software developers consider their certification a
> badge of recognition, that reflects deep knowledge and experience with the
> software development platforms the certification exams test on. Developing
> useful skills as a programmer takes a large, even huge, investment in time
> and study, and professional developers naturally like to protect that
> investment. There are few objective measures of programming skills, and
> something like a MCSD certification is one of the most highly prized. What
> it tells an employer is that you've come to the game ready to play, and
> ready to play at a high level.
>
> It seems to us, and here I'm taking the liberty of speaking for them too,
> that someone who is completely clueless (as you admit yourself to be) yet
> manages somehow to scramble through a certification test with a passing
> score with no useful ability to apply what they claim to know, does

nothing
> but devalue and dilute the meaning of the certification. Suppose that
> magically you manage to scrape by this test (I'll be astonished if that's
> what happens). You apply for another job, proudly displaying your
> certification. Pretty quick, say in less than a week, they discover that

you
> can't apply the knowledge that your certification claims you have, in fact
> have no programming experience whatsoever, so they fire you, and

rightfully
> so. Now you've poisoned the well. The next guy who comes in their door

with
> a certification hasn't a chance with that company, even if he's got a
> century of programming experience.
>
> See what I mean?
>
> Tom Dacon
> Dacon Software Consulting
>
>
> "P" <"de_polle[geen_spam_gewenst]"@kotnet.org> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Tom Dacon wrote:
> >> This is one of the finest trolls I've ever seen on this newsgroup. I'm
> >> just slack-jawed in admiration. On the goofiest day I ever had, I
> >> couldn't have come up with something like this.

> >
> > Euhm... Why is that? I have to pass the MCSD-exam, I am asking

questions
> > about that exam, I'm asking it on the newsgroup
> > 'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd', I'm asking question I couldn't find
> > answers for on the official pages...
> >
> > So tell me: what was wrong with my original post? Maybe the questions
> > itselves sound stupid for you, but if you would know the reasons why I
> > have to pass this exam, you would understand...
> >
> > Anyway: thanks to Kevin for answering my questions!
> >
> > Greets,
> > Paul

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCSD vs MCSD.net Maria MCSD 0 07-18-2003 09:26 PM
MCSD vs MCSD.net Georges MCSD 0 07-18-2003 06:19 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Davin MCSD 0 06-30-2003 03:26 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Cindy Winegarden MCSD 0 06-29-2003 07:42 PM
How to upgrade from MCSD to MCSD.Net? Deena MCSD 1 06-29-2003 10:53 AM



Advertisments