Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Problems with reading xml-files

Problems with reading xml-files

Meinert Schwartau

Hello!

My program reads xml files. If I start it on a computer with winXp with
SP2, the following error will arise: "... (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005:
Access Violation". If I start it on a computer with SP1 it will work
troublefree. I have no idea about the reason.

I have developed it with Visual Studio 6 (SP6). I have isolated the
error. The error occurs, if the method IXMLDOMDocumentPtr::load is
called.

Any idea?

Best regards
Meinert

Victor Bazarov

Meinert Schwartau wrote:
> My program reads xml files. If I start it on a computer with winXp with
> SP2, the following error will arise: "... (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005:
> Access Violation". If I start it on a computer with SP1 it will work
> troublefree. I have no idea about the reason.

Apparently, service pack 2 screws up your program. Or your program has
undefined behaviour. Pick the reason that sounds better to you.

> I have developed it with Visual Studio 6 (SP6). I have isolated the
> error. The error occurs, if the method IXMLDOMDocumentPtr::load is
> called.
>
> Any idea?

Sure. The bug is on line 42 of that function.

Peter Jansson

Meinert Schwartau wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My program reads xml files. If I start it on a computer with winXp with
> SP2, the following error will arise: "... (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005:
> Access Violation". If I start it on a computer with SP1 it will work
> troublefree. I have no idea about the reason.
>
> I have developed it with Visual Studio 6 (SP6). I have isolated the
> error. The error occurs, if the method IXMLDOMDocumentPtr::load is
> called.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Best regards
> Meinert

Hello!

(I assume that you have coded in the language we discuss in this news
group.) I suggest that you look at the code for the method you mention
and try to find the error in there, if that is where the error occurs as
you say. If you provide the code for that method here, you will probably
get a more informative answer.

Regards,
Peter Jansson

mlimber

Meinert Schwartau wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My program reads xml files. If I start it on a computer with winXp with
> SP2, the following error will arise: "... (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005:
> Access Violation". If I start it on a computer with SP1 it will work
> troublefree. I have no idea about the reason.
>
> I have developed it with Visual Studio 6 (SP6). I have isolated the
> error. The error occurs, if the method IXMLDOMDocumentPtr::load is
> called.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Best regards
> Meinert

This post is off-topic in this newsgroup since, as far as I can tell,
there's no standard C++ *language* question here. Rather your problem
seems to be with a Microsoft-specific class, and you will likely get
more help in a Microsoft-specific newsgroup. See the FAQ for what is
on-topic here and for some suggestions of better places to ask this
question:

Cheers! --M