Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Please tell me if it is worth the effort

Please tell me if it is worth the effort

Nick

I have worked as a developer for over twenty years, both
permanent and freelance and as my current contract is due
to end shortly I have been considering taking some time
out to do the MCSD.NET exams. My questions are:
1. How long will this take me if decide not to work?
2. Is this a well recognised qualification? There does
seem to be some confusion between MCSE and MCSD and from
my assessment there is no comparison between the two, with
MCSD being far more difficult.
3. Will it be worth the effort? Please tell me,
particularly if you work in the UK.

Many thanks

Marc M

Nick wrote:

> I have worked as a developer for over twenty years, both
> permanent and freelance and as my current contract is due
> to end shortly I have been considering taking some time
> out to do the MCSD.NET exams. My questions are:
> 1. How long will this take me if decide not to work?

It depends on how fast you can understand the .Net Framework

> 2. Is this a well recognised qualification? There does
> seem to be some confusion between MCSE and MCSD and from
> my assessment there is no comparison between the two, with
> MCSD being far more difficult.

Only if you plan to do something with it.
In my case MCSD help me learn the M$ technology.
For developers -- MCSD
For Window Admins & Network dudes -- MCSE

> 3. Will it be worth the effort? Please tell me,
> particularly if you work in the UK.
>
> Many thanks

It can help you get an interview or a job with MS partners if you are
lucky

MM

Nick

I was under the impression that MCSE was for cable monkeys and MCSD was for
code monkeys.
So long as you have worked for the alst 20 years in an OO field with similar
class libs to the .NET fx then you should have no problem studying for these
exams. Take your time and do one every 3 months, that seems to be what most
people tend to do.

Sorry for the irrevent reply

news:08aa01c51818$a29a9a90$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have worked as a developer for over twenty years, both
> permanent and freelance and as my current contract is due
> to end shortly I have been considering taking some time
> out to do the MCSD.NET exams. My questions are:
> 1. How long will this take me if decide not to work?
> 2. Is this a well recognised qualification? There does
> seem to be some confusion between MCSE and MCSD and from
> my assessment there is no comparison between the two, with
> MCSD being far more difficult.
> 3. Will it be worth the effort? Please tell me,
> particularly if you work in the UK.
>
> Many thanks

MM.

Thanks for reply. What do you mean by 'if you are lucky'.
I was under the impression that MCSD.Net was a passport to
top quality jobs (provding you have the necessary
experience). Am I wrong making this assumption. I would
ultimately like to do the MCT and work for a MS partner.
Are these jobs few and far between?

=?Utf-8?B?RGluZXJvTWlrZQ==?=

It is very hard to determine worth! Also I truly believe anyone can pass the
exams if you try, and if you use the cheat sheets you can surely pass. I look
at it like this, it does get me in front of some people who seem to think it
is worth it. I only have the MCAD, but I am about 1.5 months away from the
MSCD.. I do see job posting that prefer you have it. It is still up to me to
know .NET. I personally do like having it, but I found allot of the questions
didn't really show real world practices. for me it was just a way to
distinguish myself from the people who didn't bother to take the exams, its
just one more feather in your hat. I know people who have no degrees and no
certifications and they are some of the best programmers I have ever met. I
also know people who have all the credentials and their code is a mess.
relevent.

Roland

I Have been MCSD qualified since 1998.
I too am a contractor in UK

1. Difficult to say but if you have been doing the job and
are prepared to put the effort in you should be able to do
each exam in say 2 months (sequentially) making it about 10
months. You could cram it and do it in less but this
requires dedication. I first took the VB 5 track and this
took about a year. I worked with a bloke who did the whole
lot in sequential exam sittings (together with MCSE) and
got it in a week, but he was very bright !

2. I have not perceived any confusion. They are not
comparable and I would not say either is harder than the
other. MCSD is for Developers whereas MCSE is for System
Administrators.

3. It is worth it if you believe that you are good at what
you do and want some form of professional qualification to
help you stand out from the crowd. If you think that your
rate will suddenly jump by £15 / hour or employers will be
sending Taxis for you then forget it. Employers still want
the experiance on the CV and no qualification is going to
over ride that. Will it make you a better developer... I
think it will make you a more broadly knowledgeable one but
there will always be someone better out there who has never
taken exam in their lives !

In conclusion. Take the exams for your self esteem, your
knowledge and possibly to get a contract that might have
gone to another equal candidate. Consider any other
benefits a bonus.

I Hope this helps

Roland,

Many thanks for your reply. I appreciate all that you have
said. I have been a C/C++ developer for many years and
more recently Java. From what I have reviewed so far I
would aim to complete the C# route in the time scales you
suggest.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Mike [MCP VB]

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0a7e01c5183e$123e5100$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MM.
>
> Thanks for reply. What do you mean by 'if you are lucky'.
> I was under the impression that MCSD.Net was a passport to
> top quality jobs (provding you have the necessary

You are completely under the wrong impression.

It certifies that you understand the framework and have completed an
assessment to prove this. Only useful as part of the "complete package", I'm
afraid.

Otherwise EVERYONE would be doing it.

Saga

Very nicely said

Saga

news:057701c518ee$3b178f50$(E-Mail Removed)...