Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Help with a decompiler

Help with a decompiler

Abacus

Hello,

I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.

I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
please ?

Thanks

John

Sumit Rajan

"Abacus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dn3tpe$6cs$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the
> .exe
> file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does
> this
> please ?

Regards,
Sumit.
--
Sumit Rajan <(E-Mail Removed)>

Niklas Norrthon

"Abacus" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.

I have a hamburger, that was once a cow...

> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
> file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
> please ?

I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the food processor and change the
hamburger back to a cow - can anyone suggest a magic spell that does this
please?

> Thanks
>
> John

Thanks

Niklas Norrthon

EventHelix.com

> I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change the .exe
> file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that does this
> please ?

It is difficult if not impossible to do so. Modern compilers implement
so many optimization techniques that it would be difficult to
reconstruct C and C++ statements by looking at patterns of assembly
instructions.

--
EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
Sequence Diagram Based System Design and Object Modeling Tool

Ben Pope

Gernot Frisch wrote:
> "Abacus" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:dn3tpe$6cs$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.
>>
>> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change
>> the .exe file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a
>> package that does this please ?

> That's like turning a hamburger into a cow...

Nice analogy!

Ben Pope

Gernot Frisch

"Abacus" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dn3tpe$6cs$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a program that was written in C++ and has been compiled.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change
> the .exe
> file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a package that
> does this
> please ?

That's like turning a hamburger into a cow...

Arne Schmitz

Ben Pope wrote:

>>> I was wondering if it is possible to reverse the process and change
>>> the .exe file back to the original code - can anyone suggest a
>>> package that does this please ?

>> That's like turning a hamburger into a cow...

> Nice analogy!

So, decompilation works, if you feed the hamburger to a cow, get it to mate
with a bull, wait some months, and then in the end you have a cow similar
to, but completely different from, the one the hamburger was made of.

Now what is the software counterpart of the cow and the bull?

Arne

--
[--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]

Gernot Frisch

> So, decompilation works, if you feed the hamburger to a cow, get it
> to mate
> with a bull, wait some months, and then in the end you have a cow
> similar
> to, but completely different from, the one the hamburger was made
> of.
>
> Now what is the software counterpart of the cow and the bull?

If you feed hamburger to a cow, you get mad-cow disease.
hamburger = executable
cow = source code
mad-cow disease = asm { ... };