Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > [vc6]problem with resource editor

[vc6]problem with resource editor

Ufit

Is there any free resource editor with full visual support
for creating dialogs and controlls? I came across a particular problem
when creating menu - it is impossible to assign IDs to popup items
and popup menus. Also some options are not available for all controlls
like ownerdraw or customdraw. Thanks for advices.

Ufit

Jacek Dziedzic

Ufit wrote:
> Is there any free resource editor with full visual support
> for creating dialogs and controlls? I came across a particular problem
> when creating menu - it is impossible to assign IDs to popup items
> and popup menus. Also some options are not available for all controlls
> like ownerdraw or customdraw. Thanks for advices.

HTH,
- J.

John Carson

"Ufit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dmam9m$ie$(E-Mail Removed)
> Is there any free resource editor with full visual support
> for creating dialogs and controlls? I came across a particular problem
> when creating menu - it is impossible to assign IDs to popup items
> and popup menus. Also some options are not available for all controlls
> like ownerdraw or customdraw. Thanks for advices.
>
> Ufit

This is Windows specific and off-topic here. A better place would be

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

For questions on VC++, you can also try:

microsoft.public.vc.ide_general
microsoft.public.vc.language

Also

microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui

for user interface stuff.

Since you are here, I will say that you won't get a resource editor that is
free and better than the one that comes with VC++. Further, you can't assign
IDs to popup items and popup menus because you are meant to use menu handles
instead (and, in some cases, to refer to menu items by index rather than by
ID). As for ownerdraw and customdraw, not all controls can be ownerdrawn,
and customdraw is never a property that you set. Instead, customdraw is a
feature that is intrinsically part of some controls whether you want it or
not, and is implemented through a series of messages sent to a control's
owner that you can process or not process as you see fit.

--
John Carson