Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Memory Speed Problem

Memory Speed Problem

Peter Olcott

I am accessing a dynamic array in windows and through the command prompt. I can search the entire array through the command prompt
in about 3 milliseconds, running the exact same code in MS Windows XP it takes 140 Milliseconds. What is up with this? What can I do
to improve the performance in Windows?

Ian

Peter Olcott wrote:
> I am accessing a dynamic array in windows and through the command prompt. I can search the entire array through the command prompt
> in about 3 milliseconds, running the exact same code in MS Windows XP it takes 140 Milliseconds. What is up with this? What can I do
> to improve the performance in Windows?

Buy a faster machine? Or ask on a more appropriate NG.

Ian

Peter Olcott

Never Mind, optimization was set to disable.

"Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>> I am accessing a dynamic array in windows and through the command prompt. I can search the entire array through the command
>> prompt in about 3 milliseconds, running the exact same code in MS Windows XP it takes 140 Milliseconds. What is up with this?
>> What can I do to improve the performance in Windows?
>>

> Buy a faster machine? Or ask on a more appropriate NG.
>
> Ian

It was a hundred-fold slower than it was supposed to be.
Merely a compiler switch had set optimize to none, changed
it to optimize for speed, all fixed!

Ian

Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Peter Olcott wrote:
>>
>>>I am accessing a dynamic array in windows and through the command prompt. I can search the entire array through the command
>>>prompt in about 3 milliseconds, running the exact same code in MS Windows XP it takes 140 Milliseconds. What is up with this?
>>>What can I do to improve the performance in Windows?
>>>

>>Buy a faster machine? Or ask on a more appropriate NG.
>>
>>Ian
>>

> It was a hundred-fold slower than it was supposed to be.
> Merely a compiler switch had set optimize to none, changed
> it to optimize for speed, all fixed!

The bitter the problem, the smaller the cause

When things go horribly wrong, look for a simple fix.

Ian

divya_rathore_@gmail.com

Peter Olcott wrote:
> It was a hundred-fold slower than it was supposed to be.
> Merely a compiler switch had set optimize to none, changed
> it to optimize for speed, all fixed!

As defaults, Debug version of MFC Apps in vc6.0 are set for No
optimization and Release versions are set for 'Maximize speed'.

regards,
- D. Rathore
*remove all underscores for email ID*