Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Porting C++ application on 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX - ld : 0711-317 ERROR : Undefined symbol

Porting C++ application on 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX - ld : 0711-317 ERROR : Undefined symbol

r.nikhilk@gmail.com

Hi,

We are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX platform.
(The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0). We are able
to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in xlC
compiler. But, when we link all these libraries to one of the main
applications, we are getting the following errors:

ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::good() const
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::error() const
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .operator<<(ostream&,const
DateTime&)
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .DateTime::~DateTime()
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class
"FxCharFile": first non-inline virtual function in "FxCharFile" is not
defined.
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class "Record":
first non-inline virtual function in "Record" is not defined.
gmake: *** [CustDelta] Error 8

Thanks,
-Nikhil

Puppet_Sock

> We are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX platform.
> (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0). We are able
> to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in xlC
> compiler. But, when we link all these libraries to one of the main
> applications, we are getting the following errors:
>
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::good() const
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::error() const
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .operator<<(ostream&,const
> DateTime&)
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .DateTime::~DateTime()
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class
> "FxCharFile": first non-inline virtual function in "FxCharFile" is not
> defined.
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class "Record":
> first non-inline virtual function in "Record" is not defined.
> gmake: *** [CustDelta] Error 8

What you've got there is not a language problem. You've missed a
header file or a library or connected to the wrong library or not set
a link-time flag or not recompiled one source file or some such.

Anyway, you need to try this in a news group that talks about your
platform, library, and compiler. Here we don't know from FxCharFile,
as that is not part of the standard C++ language. Since you mention
AIX, I presume you need a news group talking about programming
for AIX.
Socks

r.nikhilk@gmail.com

Hi,
Here, FxCharFile() is my own function which I wrote for my application.
This FxCharFile() is the part of my own library. This is the libray to
which Iam linking my main application.

Thanks,
-Nikhil

Jonathan Mcdougall

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,

Please quote the message you are answering to.

> Here, FxCharFile() is my own function which I wrote for my application.
> This FxCharFile() is the part of my own library. This is the libray to
> which Iam linking my main application.

Still, these are linker errors and linkers are not standard C++. Please
ask in a newsgroup supporting your system.

Jonathan

Jim Langston

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> We are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX platform.
> (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0). We are able
> to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in xlC
> compiler. But, when we link all these libraries to one of the main
> applications, we are getting the following errors:
>
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::good() const

Okay, can you show us your definition of FxCharFile's good() function and
how you use it? Maybe it's something not too difficult to figure out.