Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Free MS Compiler

Free MS Compiler

John Carson

Given that there are occasionally discussions in this group about the
various compilers available, I trust that this is not off-topic and is of
some interest.

Microsoft has just released its new compiler (VC++ 8.0) and the low-end
version, known as Visual C++ Express, is available for free download for the
next year.

Visual C++ Express includes:
1. The latest MS C++ compiler and standard library.
2. An IDE with integrated debugger.
3. Other Microsoft specific-stuff I shouldn't mention.

It is missing the MFC and ATL libraries (which I also shouldn't mention) and
some other stuff.

FAQ:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...port/faq/#vcpp

Download and other information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

--
John Carson

John Carson

"John Carson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dkqhkc$25o6$(E-Mail Removed)

> FAQ:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...port/faq/#vcpp
>

> Download and other information:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

This link is also useful

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/hs24szh9

--
John Carson

brengarne

You can easilly download and install the PSDK which allows you to build
MFC applications.

Quite simple to set up and seems to work fine.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...k/default.aspx

John Carson

"brengarne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> You can easilly download and install the PSDK which allows you to
> build MFC applications.
>
> Quite simple to set up and seems to work fine.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...k/default.aspx

The Platform SDK does not and, to the best of my knowledge, never has
included the MFC library. It allows you to build Win32 applications but that
is not the same thing. MFC is basically a C++ wrapper around the Win32 API,
which is largely C-based. If you want that wrapper, you have to pay for it.

--
John Carson