Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Looking for an Algorithms and Data Structures Book

Looking for an Algorithms and Data Structures Book

mlimber

John McCabe wrote:
> John McCabe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I spotted something about (I think) directed graphs that I'd like to
> >read more on.

> Actually, that might be skip lists I was talking about!
>
> Does anyone have experience of:
>
> Data Structures and Algorithms in C++
>
> by either...
>
> Goodrich, Tamassia and Mount (http://cpp.datastructures.net/)
>
> or
>
> Drozdek

Nope, but you can at least peer inside Drozdek's book at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/053...books&v=glance

All the reviews are positive (which can be deceptive), and it covers
AVL and splay trees and hashing.

Neil Cerutti

On 2005-10-26, John McCabe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Manfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I know of 'Algorithms in C++' by Robert Sedgewick.
>>There is a hardcover edition and a Paperback
>>edition which includes:
>>"Parts 1-5: Fundamentals, Data Structures,
>>Sorting, Searching, and Graph Algorithms"
>>You'll find it on amazon if you search for the title.

> I found that one on Amazon. Do you have an opinion on it? From
> what I've seen there appears to be significant differences in
> the Amazon reviews which worry me a bit, especially as the book
> is going on 60.00 on amazon.co.uk.

I haven't read much of it, but it is very densely written, dry,
and dull. It might be exactly what you're looking for. I wrote a
toy red-black tree container based on one chapter of the book.
I'd prefer writing that's a bit easier to decode, but it was good
enough for what I needed.

--
Neil Cerutti

mlimber

John McCabe wrote:
> "mlimber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The book I previously mentioned (_Data Structures, Algorithms, and
> >Object-oriented Programming_ by Heileman) has chapters on lists, stacks
> >& queues, binary search trees, hashing, priority queues, balanced
> >search trees (namely, AVL, red-black, and splay trees), heaps, etc.

> Thanks for that. I've emailed Greg Heileman to ask if he can give me
> more details on the table of contents as I can't find much on the net.
> He has replied to my initial message, but not my follow-up, and not
> with the details I need (yet)
>
> From what you've said, and what I *have* found on the net about it, it
> sounds like it could be as close a match as it may be possible to get
> to what I'm looking for.

Each item in my list is a chapter. Add to that four chapters of
introductory material, efficiency analysis, sets, and graphs, and
bada-bing, you have the table of contents.

Cheers! --M

John McCabe

"mlimber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John McCabe wrote:

>> From what you've said, and what I *have* found on the net about it, it
>> sounds like it could be as close a match as it may be possible to get
>> to what I'm looking for.

>Each item in my list is a chapter. Add to that four chapters of
>introductory material, efficiency analysis, sets, and graphs, and
>bada-bing, you have the table of contents.

Aha - thanks a lot for that. It looks like it's got what I want then.

One thing, do you remember if it mentions "skip lists"?

Ninan

I have read this book, Graph theory is in part 5. I have not read the
other books , so comparison will be a difficult thing. In general it
is a good book. C++ code is short and easy to follow. I would consider
it more C/C++ code. The explanation of the theory while straightforward
and easy to follow, some times gets a little long winded and can loose
track. But overall I would recommend this book

mlimber

John McCabe wrote:
> "mlimber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >John McCabe wrote:

> >> From what you've said, and what I *have* found on the net about it, it
> >> sounds like it could be as close a match as it may be possible to get
> >> to what I'm looking for.

> >Each item in my list is a chapter. Add to that four chapters of
> >introductory material, efficiency analysis, sets, and graphs, and
> >bada-bing, you have the table of contents.

> Aha - thanks a lot for that. It looks like it's got what I want then.
>
> One thing, do you remember if it mentions "skip lists"?

It does have a section on them.

Cheers! --M

mlimber

Ninan wrote:
> I have read this book, Graph theory is in part 5. I have not read the
> other books , so comparison will be a difficult thing. In general it
> is a good book. C++ code is short and easy to follow. I would consider
> it more C/C++ code. The explanation of the theory while straightforward
> and easy to follow, some times gets a little long winded and can loose
> track. But overall I would recommend this book

Which book are you talking about exactly? Please quote at least a
little context.

Cheers! --M

Ninan

i am talking about the Sedgewick book.
> Algorithms in C++: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching
> Pts. 1-4 by Robert Sedgewick

Yellow Dog

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:52:00 +0100, John McCabe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[SNIP]

>Does anyone know anything about this book:
>
>Algorithms in C++: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching
>Pts. 1-4 by Robert Sedgewick

I have a copy of this book. I keep it at work. It has a number of
useful explanations about a number of algorithms. IIRC, it does cover
Red-Black trees, splay trees and graph theory. I also have the
following book:

Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ by Adam Drozdek, second edition.
ISBN 0 534-37597-9

This book covers binary trees in excruciating detail as well as
hashing theory and data compression.

It was published inn 2001, but I purchased my copy in a local
bookstore. The web site for the publisher is:
http://brookscole.com

You may be able to find out if there is a newer version.

Good luck,

ken
If it ain't broke....fix it anyway!