Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Need help choosing a C++ development tool set - TIA for responses :)

Need help choosing a C++ development tool set - TIA for responses :)

Jed

Hello to all!

I have a couple of projects I intend starting on, and was wondering if
someone here could make a suggestion for a good compiler and development
environment.

My goals are as follows:

1. Develop the project code on XP.
2. Develop the project to run on Linux, XP, and 98SE/WinME.
(Later for porting to MacOS)
3. Develop the project to have a "common look and feel" between
platforms.

My requirements are as follows:
1. I need a compiler and development environment that is free and
unrestrictive with respect to liscensing and royalties.

2. I need graphics tool kit that is cross platform, and also free.

3. I also want to be able to target multiple OSes for the same processor
type.

Any advice is welcome. Primarily, I don't have the income to purchase
tools. And I want a development tool set that isn't tied to Microsoft's
OS, or their frameworks. I don't understand their liscensing and am
pretty sure their software comes with a bunch of restrictions I don't
want to have to deal with.

I've been doing some research, and currently have downloaded Mars,
Watcom, and am trying to figure out what I need to download MinGW.

I would like to use the Gnome toolkit, but haven't been able to figure
out if it works with windows. My primary development platform is
Windows, but I am going to set up a Linux Box specifically for
simultaneous development and testing.

The projects I want to develop I will be placing (another thing I will
need advice on) in the open source community. At least I hope to. The
projects will be "beg-ware" in the hopes of turning a buck. They will
also serve to provide me with tools that I can use.

I don't plan on doing DOTNET. I know it's the hot thing, but I have
recently developed mis-givings about it.

Thanks for any help.

Peace,

Jed

Victor Bazarov

Jed wrote:
> I have a couple of projects I intend starting on, and was wondering if
> someone here could make a suggestion for a good compiler and
> development environment.
>
> My goals are as follows:
>
> 1. Develop the project code on XP.

Visual C++ Professional.

> 2. Develop the project to run on Linux, XP, and 98SE/WinME.
> (Later for porting to MacOS)

Well, on Linux, with some porting, you can use g++ to compile. At
this point in time both compilers are quite decent (and on par as
to standard compliance, I'd say).

> 3. Develop the project to have a "common look and feel" between
> platforms.

I would recommend against it. It is better to have the look and
feel common between applications on the same platform than between
platforms. Or do you foresee users working in your application on
more than one platform within a couple of days? Even then, it is
easier to look at something on Windows that looks like Windows, and
not like Aqua or Motif (and vice versa).

> My requirements are as follows:
> 1. I need a compiler and development environment that is free and
> unrestrictive with respect to liscensing and royalties.

Microsoft isn't free, but it's not very expensive. You can also use
MinGW, and use Dev-C++, but it pales in comparison (or maybe I am
just too used to VC++).

> 2. I need graphics tool kit that is cross platform, and also free.

Qt is free for non-commercial use. If you intend to sell your stuff,
though, you need to get a commercial license from them. But it is
worth every penny.

> 3. I also want to be able to target multiple OSes for the same
> processor type.

How would that matter? Are you going to program in Assembly?

> Any advice is welcome. Primarily, I don't have the income to purchase
> tools. And I want a development tool set that isn't tied to
> Microsoft's OS, or their frameworks. I don't understand their
> liscensing and am pretty sure their software comes with a bunch of
> restrictions I don't want to have to deal with.

There is nothing overly restrictive there. And if you don't have
any money now, borrow. A good set of tools is important.

> I've been doing some research, and currently have downloaded Mars,
> Watcom, and am trying to figure out what I need to download MinGW.
>
> I would like to use the Gnome toolkit, but haven't been able to figure
> out if it works with windows. My primary development platform is
> Windows, but I am going to set up a Linux Box specifically for
> simultaneous development and testing.

Get Qt. You're not going to regret it.

> The projects I want to develop I will be placing (another thing I will
> need advice on) in the open source community. At least I hope to.

Well, take a look at SourceForge (is that what it's called?), talk to
them, see how (and with what) they program.

> The projects will be "beg-ware" in the hopes of turning a buck. They
> will also serve to provide me with tools that I can use.

Well, think of it. You cannot start delivering pizzas on a bicycle,
hoping to earn some day enough money to buy a car. Your pizzas will
get so cold you'll have to pay your customers to eat them. You just
need to buy a car to get around and deliver on time.

> I don't plan on doing DOTNET. I know it's the hot thing, but I have
> recently developed mis-givings about it.

You don't have to do anything DOTNET, but you can still use MS tools,
they are among the best in the biz when it comes to development in C++
on Windows.

Dave Rahardja

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:21:06 -0400, "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Microsoft isn't free, but it's not very expensive. You can also use
>MinGW, and use Dev-C++, but it pales in comparison (or maybe I am
>just too used to VC++).

Lookie here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

You don't get a debugger though.

-dr

Bob Hairgrove

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 05:35:35 GMT, Dave Rahardja <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:21:06 -0400, "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Microsoft isn't free, but it's not very expensive. You can also use
>>MinGW, and use Dev-C++, but it pales in comparison (or maybe I am
>>just too used to VC++).

>Lookie here:
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
>
>You don't get a debugger though.

And the only CRT libs (C runtime library) are static. You have to buy
Visual Studio for the DLL import libraries for the CRT. It's not
important for small projects, academic work, etc., but for large
projects, it's a real show-stopper.

--
Bob Hairgrove

EventHelix.com

One option would be to use VC++ for development.

A good cross platform GUI solution is wxWindows:

http://www.wxwindows.org/

--
EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
Sequence Diagram Based System Design and Object Modeling Tool

Jed

"Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Jed wrote:

> Visual C++ Professional.
>
> Well, on Linux, with some porting, you can use g++ to compile. At
> this point in time both compilers are quite decent (and on par as
> to standard compliance, I'd say).

I was wondering if g++ was a C++ compiler. Hummm... I won't rule VC++
out. But, it has some quirks (at least when I was attempting to learn to
use it a few years ago [VC++ 6 educational version].

> I would recommend against it. It is better to have the look and
> feel common between applications on the same platform than between
> platforms. Or do you foresee users working in your application on
> more than one platform within a couple of days? Even then, it is
> easier to look at something on Windows that looks like Windows, and
> not like Aqua or Motif (and vice versa).

Good point. Thank you!

Ultimately, I want to develop using a common graphics tool kit so I can
minimize the issues when porting from Win to Linux, and ultimately beyond.

> Microsoft isn't free, but it's not very expensive. You can also use
> MinGW, and use Dev-C++, but it pales in comparison (or maybe I am
> just too used to VC++).
>
>> 2. I need graphics tool kit that is cross platform, and also free.

> Qt is free for non-commercial use. If you intend to sell your stuff,
> though, you need to get a commercial license from them. But it is
> worth every penny.

Thanks I'll look into it. Its been a while since I've looked at these
things, and I forgot about Trolltech.

>> 3. I also want to be able to target multiple OSes for the same
>> processor type.

> How would that matter? Are you going to program in Assembly?

I may do some "optimization" as I can figure it out, but that's not the
primary reason. I figure the multiple target approach is better to selling
an app than writing for one os. So I want to develop a useful app that
someone who runs Windows, Linux and Mac in the same shop will want. If the
app is useful (performs some commonly needed function) and works the same
way over several systems, then I have wider potential revenue streams.

> There is nothing overly restrictive there. And if you don't have
> any money now, borrow. A good set of tools is important.

I agree with you that good set of tools is important, ergo the question.
Thank you for the advice, and I am considering it. But let me ask you a
couple of questions: You recommend VC++. Are you talking the the version
6 edition, or the .NET addition? And why not Borland C++ Builder? And
what about g++? Have you used it? You prefer Qt. Have you used Gnome
Tool Kit? (and is that available for windows?)

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am trying to make the most economical
and informed choices I can. And I figure you guys in here have the
experience.

> Well, take a look at SourceForge (is that what it's called?), talk to
> them, see how (and with what) they program.

Good Idea!

>> The projects will be "beg-ware" in the hopes of turning a buck. They
>> will also serve to provide me with tools that I can use.

> Well, think of it. You cannot start delivering pizzas on a bicycle,
> hoping to earn some day enough money to buy a car. Your pizzas will
> get so cold you'll have to pay your customers to eat them. You just
> need to buy a car to get around and deliver on time.

hehe... I used to deliver pizza. Of course I did it in a $50.00 car. So I
made my money back. hehehe...

>> I don't plan on doing DOTNET. I know it's the hot thing, but I have
>> recently developed mis-givings about it.

> You don't have to do anything DOTNET, but you can still use MS tools,
> they are among the best in the biz when it comes to development in C++
> on Windows.

And can I develop on them cross-platform?

Thanks for taking the time to respond Victor. I will definitely consider
the options you've mentioned.

Peace,

Jed

Jed

Dave Rahardja <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:21:06 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft isn't free, but it's not very expensive. You can also use
>>MinGW, and use Dev-C++, but it pales in comparison (or maybe I am
>>just too used to VC++).

> Lookie here:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
>
> You don't get a debugger though.
>
> -dr

Wow!

Thanks dude!

Peace,

Jed

Jed

Bob Hairgrove <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 05:35:35 GMT, Dave Rahardja <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>You don't get a debugger though.

> And the only CRT libs (C runtime library) are static. You have to buy
> Visual Studio for the DLL import libraries for the CRT. It's not
> important for small projects, academic work, etc., but for large
> projects, it's a real show-stopper.
>
> --
> Bob Hairgrove
> (E-Mail Removed)

To clarify: I intend to develop the bulk of my application processing
code in standard C++. I want a cross-platform graphics toolkit that I
can develop the application's output in. Some of the apps will not need
printing capability.

Can I do this with VC++ (the version mentioned above)?

Peace,

Jed

Jed

"EventHelix.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> One option would be to use VC++ for development.
>
> A good cross platform GUI solution is wxWindows:
>
> http://www.wxwindows.org/
>
> --
> EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
> Sequence Diagram Based System Design and Object Modeling Tool

Wow... thanks man!

Just went to the link and looked at it. Very cool...

I take it that it is not free? Not seeing anything about that anywhere on
their site..

Thanks!

Peace,

Jed

Duane Hebert

"Jed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96E26735D87ADXns96DB93B27837jedik@207.217. 125.201...

> I take it that it is not free? Not seeing anything about that anywhere on
> their site..

With Qt4 Trolltech has released an open source version for
Windows, as well as Linux. I think the windows version only
runs with Cygwin though. It's a good product, although a bit
expensive for the commercial version if you're a single
developer.