Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > NGen.exe

NGen.exe

Brian

The Ngen documentations says that it installs a native image on the "local"
computer.

Does this mean that NGen needs to be run on each computer an app is deployed
to or do you run NGen once on the build machine when creating the msi?

I believe the former but I have read conflicting information.

Thanks,

Brian

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:
> The Ngen documentations says that it installs a native image on the
> "local" computer.
>
> Does this mean that NGen needs to be run on each computer an app is
> deployed to or do you run NGen once on the build machine when creating the
> msi?

You will have to run "ngen" on every machine. This will install the native
image into a special section called Native Image Cache of the GAC.

BTW: I don't see how this question is related to the group
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

LM

> Does this mean that NGen needs to be run on each computer an app is

deployed

yes, you should run ngen on every pc because it will generate a different
exe file for any specific cpu
bye

---

>BTW: I don't see how this question is related to the group
>microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd.

Well apart from the fact the message was cross posted, I'd say this is
about as on topic a post you're likely to get without in some way
breaking the nda. Understanding the gac and installing dot net
applications is covered on the exams, at least it was when i did them,
so to me it's a perfectly acceptable question.

Anyway back on topic, anyone got any braindumps 54-321

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3