Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > BootCamps?

BootCamps?

MattWoberts

Hi,

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on MCSD bootcamps?
Are they a useful route to certification, and are they
worth the cost?

ANy opinions appreciated

Gerry O'Brien [MVP]

Hmmm, a double edged sword this one.

Personally, I don't agree with BootCamps. Well, at least the certification
ones, I already did the military one, those are brutal.

Here's my rationale behind not likeing them.

They are designed to take from where you are to the stage at which you can
pass the exams. A nobel goal. However, the problem is that you learn only
what you need to know to pass the exams.

When you get your MCSD you are expected to know how to develop software
applications with the .NET framework and Microsoft languages. Will you be
able to do that? Not with just the knowledge gained from the BootCamp.

Microsoft recommends programming in .NET for about 2 years before attempting
the exams. This is based mostly on the success and failure of test takers
and the answers provided in the surveys.

I have been using .NET since I was a beta tester of Visual Studio 2002. I
am just now getting around to finishing up my MCSD. Why? Because I want to
be able to write the exams knowing how to program .NET, not knowing what to
expect on an exam and how to answer the questions.

If you go to a BootCamp, it is my belief that you will come out of there
knowing the answers to the exam questions and being able to pass the exams,
they guarantee it, but you will still not know how to program in .NET.

When someone asks you about activating a serviced component on a computer so
your client can access the COM built component, you will be able to say,
"Yeah, I remember that on the exam". But will you be able to actually code
it?

My 2 cents worth.

--
Gerry O'Brien
Visual Basic .NET MVP

"MattWoberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a36d01c4d6ff$37caab10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on MCSD bootcamps?
> Are they a useful route to certification, and are they
> worth the cost?
>
> ANy opinions appreciated

Joe

I attended a bootcamp. I won't say which one. Doing the
exercises was very helpful. But the instruction wasn't.
The answer to most questions was, "There's an advanced
class for that."

Bootcamps are a good shotgun solution. They cover a lot
but not with much detail. If you really want to develop
solutions, you still need to pound the keyboard as well
as read a lot.

My opinion,
Joe