Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > 3rd Edition vs Special Edition

3rd Edition vs Special Edition

barcaroller

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition and the
Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language"?

Victor Bazarov

barcaroller wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition and
> the Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language"?

From the [..ahem..] horse's mouth:

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

Ron House

Victor Bazarov wrote:
> barcaroller wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition and
>>the Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language"?

> From the [..ahem..] horse's mouth:
>
> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
"3rd edition").

--
Ron House http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house

John Carson

"Ron House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>> barcaroller wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition
>>> and the Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming
>>> Language"?

>> From the [..ahem..] horse's mouth:
>>
>> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

> This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
> different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
> "3rd edition").

It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the third
edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition which has a
predominantly white background. They look very different.

--
John Carson

red floyd

John Carson wrote:
> "Ron House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
>> different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
>> "3rd edition").

> It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the
> third edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition
> which has a predominantly white background. They look very different.

I think Ron's referring to the "corrected" Third Edition (softcover).

Ron House

John Carson wrote:
> "Ron House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)

>> This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
>> different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
>> "3rd edition").

> It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the
> third edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition
> which has a predominantly white background. They look very different.

I didn't mention the special edition, I mentioned the "3rd edition",
which, in different printings, has different contents and identical
covers, including the words "3rd edition".

This is a seriously silly (and incomprehensible) thing for a publisher
to do, because we can't write the edition description on a book list and
be sure students will get the right version; we have to add a big verbal
description on how to tell the two apart, which can be trying when you
have computerised book forms and so on that were designed on the
assumption that some short phrase would be sufficient to identify a
specific version of a book.

--
Ron House (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house

John Carson

"Ron House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> John Carson wrote:
>> "Ron House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)

>>> This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
>>> different content and the exact same cover out there (early and
>>> newer "3rd edition").

>> It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the
>> third edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition
>> which has a predominantly white background. They look very different.

> I didn't mention the special edition, I mentioned the "3rd edition",
> which, in different printings, has different contents and identical
> covers, including the words "3rd edition".
>
> This is a seriously silly (and incomprehensible) thing for a publisher
> to do, because we can't write the edition description on a book list
> and be sure students will get the right version; we have to add a big
> verbal description on how to tell the two apart, which can be trying
> when you have computerised book forms and so on that were designed on
> the assumption that some short phrase would be sufficient to identify
> a specific version of a book.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there are now 20
printings of the 3rd edition, with changes each time. To fully identify the
book, you just need to specify both the edition and the printing. The
changes are basically errata, but these errata go beyond typos (there are
some re-wordings for clarity, changed examples etc.).

Assuming I am correct, I don't think you can blame the publisher. Most
publishers would draw the line at an average of 2-3 new editions each year.
Basically Stroustrup didn't get it exactly right the first time and kept on
tinkering.

--
John Carson

Christopher Dearlove

"John Carson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dfrqhq$2pbl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Basically Stroustrup didn't get it exactly right the first time and kept
> on
> tinkering.

Nobody ever gets it exactly right the first time. Most stop there however.

John Carson

"Christopher Dearlove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "John Carson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dfrqhq$2pbl$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Basically Stroustrup didn't get it exactly right the first time and
>> kept on tinkering.

> Nobody ever gets it exactly right the first time. Most stop there
> however.

I agree.

--
John Carson

Ron House

John Carson wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there are now 20
> printings of the 3rd edition, with changes each time. To fully identify the
> book, you just need to specify both the edition and the printing. The
> changes are basically errata, but these errata go beyond typos (there are
> some re-wordings for clarity, changed examples etc.).

Okay, you're wrong.

The later printings are identical inside to the "Special edition", but
have a soft cover. That is, they include new (long) appendices.

As teachers are quite likely to require that students have those
appendices, it goes way beyond fixing typos and rewording some examples.
And if teachers are supposed to specify edition _and_ printing, it is
quite a job to find out, short of seeing every printing, which ones
contain what.

--
Ron House (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house