Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless hub - what's it called?

Wireless hub - what's it called?

Rob Nicholson

I'm familiar with a wireless access point which plugs into the LAN and allows wireless devices to connect to the network.

But what's the name of the device which operates like a hub/switch (say eight port) which sits on the desk, into which (legacy) wired Ethernet devices are plugged but then connects to the LAN via wireless to another access point?

Sort of like this:

PC #1 Ethernet ---------- S
IP telephone ------------ w
PC #2 Ethernet ---------- i Wireless ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Access Point ----- LAN
IP telephone ------------ t
PC #3 Ethernet ---------- c
IP telephone ------------ h

Thanks, Rob.

Jeff Durham

I think you are referring to a bridge. It allows you to "bridge" two wired networks together via wireless.

Jeff
"Rob Nicholson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I'm familiar with a wireless access point which plugs into the LAN and allows wireless devices to connect to the network.

But what's the name of the device which operates like a hub/switch (say eight port) which sits on the desk, into which (legacy) wired Ethernet devices are plugged but then connects to the LAN via wireless to another access point?

Sort of like this:

PC #1 Ethernet ---------- S
IP telephone ------------ w
PC #2 Ethernet ---------- i Wireless ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Access Point ----- LAN
IP telephone ------------ t
PC #3 Ethernet ---------- c
IP telephone ------------ h

Thanks, Rob.

Jack

Hi

This device is called Access Point configured in Bridge Mode.

Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Jeff Durham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I think you are referring to a bridge. It allows you to "bridge" two wired networks together via wireless.

Jeff
"Rob Nicholson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I'm familiar with a wireless access point which plugs into the LAN and allows wireless devices to connect to the network.

But what's the name of the device which operates like a hub/switch (say eight port) which sits on the desk, into which (legacy) wired Ethernet devices are plugged but then connects to the LAN via wireless to another access point?

Sort of like this:

PC #1 Ethernet ---------- S
IP telephone ------------ w
PC #2 Ethernet ---------- i Wireless ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Access Point ----- LAN
IP telephone ------------ t
PC #3 Ethernet ---------- c
IP telephone ------------ h

Thanks, Rob.

Rob Nicholson

>This device is called Access Point configured in Bridge Mode.

Thanks - I knew there would be the correct term. Didn't want to appear thick
when asking vendors about prices

Cheers, Rob.