Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > New to It and 15 years old

New to It and 15 years old

NumLock

Hey, I am currently only a high school sophomore (15
years old) and my whole life I have been very interested
with windows and programming. I plan on working at my
dads job as a tech guy, system admin or something like
that, im currently taking visual basic and going into
java, but don't plan on being a software programmer; or
really using those skills mainly in any career. My older
friend said I should take a Microsoft test and get
certified once im old enough... (If there are any age or
experience requirements)
It's hard to explain my experience since everyone has
lower expectations since im so young. But I have
experience with windows server 2000 and 2003 and
networked 5 of my computers with 1 file server; I use
remote networking over LAN and the net. And Im beginning
work as a computer tech in a computer LAN cafe. I can
format any version of windows and I have used them all
for as long as I can remember.

I think if I start young it would be better. Are there
any qualifications that I need to take this test? And
what is the minimum age to take a test? Im currently
reading the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit: Deploying
Network Services online book and I plan on getting more,
what does everybody recommend for studying?
I obviously have a lot of time to prepare for the test...
But I want to get as much info as possible so I can be
the best in my field

1) You can information about certifications here:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp
2) Even if you know more than everyine else around you, without a 4 year
university degree in CS or CIS, it will be difficult to progress upward in
an IT department. You are probably still in high school, so you have plenty
of time to prepare for that.
3) I know you spend a lot of time studying, but remember to take time for
girls, sports and travel or else you will get burned out on computers before
your career even starts.

WKidd

"NumLock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47cb01c4c5e0$9cad3640$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, I am currently only a high school sophomore (15
> years old) and my whole life I have been very interested
> with windows and programming. I plan on working at my
> dads job as a tech guy, system admin or something like
> that, im currently taking visual basic and going into
> java, but don't plan on being a software programmer; or
> really using those skills mainly in any career. My older
> friend said I should take a Microsoft test and get
> certified once im old enough... (If there are any age or
> experience requirements)
> It's hard to explain my experience since everyone has
> lower expectations since im so young. But I have
> experience with windows server 2000 and 2003 and
> networked 5 of my computers with 1 file server; I use
> remote networking over LAN and the net. And Im beginning
> work as a computer tech in a computer LAN cafe. I can
> format any version of windows and I have used them all
> for as long as I can remember.
>
> I think if I start young it would be better. Are there
> any qualifications that I need to take this test? And
> what is the minimum age to take a test? Im currently
> reading the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit: Deploying
> Network Services online book and I plan on getting more,
> what does everybody recommend for studying?
> I obviously have a lot of time to prepare for the test...
> But I want to get as much info as possible so I can be
> the best in my field

Cindy Winegarden

Hi NumLock,

As far as I know there aren't any age or experience requirements for MCP
exams, although there are recommendations. By your experience though you
might find studying for MCDST or MCSE exams.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com

"NumLock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47cb01c4c5e0$9cad3640$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, I am currently only a high school sophomore (15
> years old) and my whole life I have been very interested
> with windows and programming. I plan on working at my
> dads job as a tech guy, system admin or something like
> that, im currently taking visual basic and going into
> java, but don't plan on being a software programmer; or
> really using those skills mainly in any career. ....

> reading the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit: Deploying
> Network Services online book and I plan on getting more,
> what does everybody recommend for studying?
> I obviously have a lot of time to prepare for the test...
> But I want to get as much info as possible so I can be
> the best in my field

=?Utf-8?B?UGlldGVyIGRlIEJydWlu?=

Dear Numlock,

Enjoy life while you still have the time!

After that just make sure you keep up with Microsoft technologies WHILE
YOU'RE GOING THROUGH COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY.

After that, check out Microsoft Business Solutions. My guess is that this is
going to be big.

HTH,

Pieter de Bruin
Avanade Netherlands
MCSD.NET

Enjo

"Cindy Winegarden" wrote:

> Hi NumLock,
>
> As far as I know there aren't any age or experience requirements for MCP
> exams, although there are recommendations. By your experience though you
> might find studying for MCDST or MCSE exams.
>
> --
> Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
> (E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com
>

> "NumLock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:47cb01c4c5e0$9cad3640$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey, I am currently only a high school sophomore (15
> > years old) and my whole life I have been very interested
> > with windows and programming. I plan on working at my
> > dads job as a tech guy, system admin or something like
> > that, im currently taking visual basic and going into
> > java, but don't plan on being a software programmer; or
> > really using those skills mainly in any career. ....

> > reading the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit: Deploying
> > Network Services online book and I plan on getting more,
> > what does everybody recommend for studying?
> > I obviously have a lot of time to prepare for the test...
> > But I want to get as much info as possible so I can be
> > the best in my field

Brian Knudsen

"NumLock" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:47cb01c4c5e0$9cad3640$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, I am currently only a high school sophomore (15
> years old) and my whole life I have been very interested
> with windows and programming. I plan on working at my
> dads job as a tech guy, system admin or something like
> that, im currently taking visual basic and going into
> java, but don't plan on being a software programmer; or
> really using those skills mainly in any career. My older
> friend said I should take a Microsoft test and get
> certified once im old enough... (If there are any age or
> experience requirements)
> It's hard to explain my experience since everyone has
> lower expectations since im so young. But I have
> experience with windows server 2000 and 2003 and
> networked 5 of my computers with 1 file server; I use
> remote networking over LAN and the net. And Im beginning
> work as a computer tech in a computer LAN cafe. I can
> format any version of windows and I have used them all
> for as long as I can remember.
>
> I think if I start young it would be better. Are there
> any qualifications that I need to take this test? And
> what is the minimum age to take a test? Im currently
> reading the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit: Deploying
> Network Services online book and I plan on getting more,
> what does everybody recommend for studying?
> I obviously have a lot of time to prepare for the test...
> But I want to get as much info as possible so I can be
> the best in my field

Well i was at your age when i started out being freelancer, it took some
time before the companies was conviced that i could manage most their IT
administration. Well i used most of my sparetime after school to earn money
on my interrest for the IT, but i stayed in school and so should you. The
school gives you some opportunities for the future, which can help you in
the progress of creating new products, and live your life side by side with
the IT as the future income for you.. And please try too keep your time at
work under 60 hours per week otherwise you wont bee there for long and your
future family will not live with it.. And the last thing, trust on your own
instincts, it will help in the long run..

regards
/Brian Knudsen
Denmark

Cindy Winegarden

Just to add, IT staff and managers often have to prepare budgets, write
proposals, write documentation, etc. So, "all that other stuff" you learn in
school is very valuable. I agree with Brian - finishing High School as well
as getting a college degree is important even though it may not look that
way in the short term.

(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...