Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > A pattern emerging for wireless and SP2

A pattern emerging for wireless and SP2

Jonathan Eales

I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP2 recently,
both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However all those who
had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked with WZC. I've had
to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each case and stop WZC
managing the wireless connection. In all cases this has worked.

Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com, Belkin,
Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All could see the
wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.

Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecured WLAN?

What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?

All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
programs.

Jonathan

Jeff Durham

Here would be something interesting to try. Delete/uninstall the wireless
adapter including removal of the device prior to installing SP2. Install
SP2, re-add the wireless adapter and driver. It would be interesting to see
if this makes any difference.

Jeff

"Jonathan Eales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:66f4d.54$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP2
> recently, both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However all
> those who had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked with
> WZC. I've had to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each case and
> stop WZC managing the wireless connection. In all cases this has worked.
>
> Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com, Belkin,
> Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All could see
> the wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.
>
> Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecured WLAN?
>
> What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?
>
> All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
> programs.
>
> Jonathan

Txl

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:28:34 GMT, Jonathan Eales <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP2
> recently,
> both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However all those
> who
> had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked with WZC. I've
> had
> to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each case and stop WZC
> managing the wireless connection. In all cases this has worked.
>
> Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com, Belkin,
> Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All could see
> the
> wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.
>
> Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecured WLAN?
>
> What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?
>
> All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
> programs.
>
> Jonathan

Hello

By playing on 3 computyer only I have made it working this way :

1) remove WZC
2) Use card's config tools to make it running unsecured
3) Add WEP

Don't forget to reboot between each step and make sure upon each reboot
that the WZC is not running, yoiu can run netstumbler because it also
shuts down the WZC.

Bottom line is DON'T USE THE WZC !!!

Good luck and good hunting

--
Email contact

http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

TW

I have an HP 2600+ with Dlink G520 using WZC, connecting to a Dlink G624
router. It all works fine. Before I installed SP2 I upgraded the firmware
for the card and updated the drivers from their website. Before SP2, WZC
wouldn't work very well and I used the Dlink utility.

Strange but I helped a friend with a similar setup with a new HP one year
newer than mine and the same card. I updated his to SP2 and his mouse would
freeze when using WZC. When I turn this off and used the Dlink utility the
mouse is works fine. On this setup I didn't updated the firmware or drivers
yet, but I will do this in the next couple of days. I will post back with my
finding after the updates.
TW

"Txl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:28:34 GMT, Jonathan Eales <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP2
>> recently,
>> both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However all those
>> who
>> had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked with WZC. I've
>> had
>> to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each case and stop WZC
>> managing the wireless connection. In all cases this has worked.
>>
>> Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com, Belkin,
>> Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All could see
>> the
>> wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.
>>
>> Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecured WLAN?
>>
>> What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
>> programs.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

> Hello
>
> By playing on 3 computyer only I have made it working this way :
>
> 1) remove WZC
> 2) Use card's config tools to make it running unsecured
> 3) Add WEP
>
> Don't forget to reboot between each step and make sure upon each reboot
> that the WZC is not running, yoiu can run netstumbler because it also
> shuts down the WZC.
>
> Bottom line is DON'T USE THE WZC !!!
>
> Good luck and good hunting
>
> --
> Email contact
>
> http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Jonathan Eales

I tried this, even adding a different make of wireless card, and it didn't
work. Loaded the WLAN card Utility, turn off WZC, and bingo I get full
connectivity immediately. I've done this in so many systems now that I'm
convinced that there is something seriously broken with Wireless in Windows
XP SP2.

When you install the card and just load the driver from the CD, it installs
well but WZC doesn't manage the connection completely. It fails on
'acquiring network address'. Running the CD's Setup program and disabling
WZC works every time.

Jonathan

"Jeff Durham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here would be something interesting to try. Delete/uninstall the wireless
> adapter including removal of the device prior to installing SP2. Install
> SP2, re-add the wireless adapter and driver. It would be interesting to
> see if this makes any difference.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Jonathan Eales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:66f4d.54$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP2
>> recently, both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However
>> all those who had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked
>> with WZC. I've had to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each
>> case and stop WZC managing the wireless connection. In all cases this
>> has worked.
>>
>> Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com, Belkin,
>> Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All could see
>> the wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.
>>
>> Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecured WLAN?
>>
>> What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
>> programs.
>>
>> Jonathan

Pavel A.

Well, if you're serious about investigating it -
the checked build of WZCSVC provides debug log where it is supposed to
trace all it's actions. How to get checked build of SP2 and enable this trace, you can find
in the KB.

Regards
--PA

"Jonathan Eales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4r75d.25$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I tried this, even adding a different make of wireless card, and it didn't
> work. Loaded the WLAN card Utility, turn off WZC, and bingo I get full
> connectivity immediately. I've done this in so many systems now that I'm
> convinced that there is something seriously broken with Wireless in Windows
> XP SP2.
>
> When you install the card and just load the driver from the CD, it installs
> well but WZC doesn't manage the connection completely. It fails on
> 'acquiring network address'. Running the CD's Setup program and disabling
> WZC works every time.
>
> Jonathan
>

> "Jeff Durham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Here would be something interesting to try. Delete/uninstall the wireless
> > adapter including removal of the device prior to installing SP2. Install
> > SP2, re-add the wireless adapter and driver. It would be interesting to
> > see if this makes any difference.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > "Jonathan Eales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:66f4d.54$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP2
> >> recently, both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However
> >> all those who had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked
> >> with WZC. I've had to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each
> >> case and stop WZC managing the wireless connection. In all cases this
> >> has worked.
> >>
> >> Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com, Belkin,
> >> Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All could see
> >> the wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.
> >>
> >> Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecured WLAN?
> >>
> >> What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?
> >>
> >> All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
> >> programs.
> >>
> >> Jonathan

?fooguy?

Let me throw my hat into the ring:

ABIT NF7-2 MB with VIA chipset and an Athon CPU. Reinstalled XP from
scratch, updated to SP2, installed the D-Link drivers for my DWL-G520
and the system reboots constantly. I removed the G520 and switched to
a regular 520 and the system reboots, but not nearly as often. This is
connecting to a DI-624 AP. This whole setup replaces my D-Link 802.11a
setup that I had previously and didn't have these kinds of problems
with. I suspect a problem with the drivers but I have no way to
confirm it (other than, if I plug my DWL-810+ into the ethernet jack
the system never reboots). I should mention that I reinstalled a
couple times and saw this behavior without an SP, SP1, and SP2.

There does not seem to be a firmware update for my rev of the card
(V.B1). I am using 128bit WEP, perhaps I should try turning WEP off to
see if that's the cause?

"TW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I have an HP 2600+ with Dlink G520 using WZC, connecting to a Dlink G624
> router. It all works fine. Before I installed SP2 I upgraded the firmware
> for the card and updated the drivers from their website. Before SP2, WZC
> wouldn't work very well and I used the Dlink utility.
>
> Strange but I helped a friend with a similar setup with a new HP one year
> newer than mine and the same card. I updated his to SP2 and his mouse would
> freeze when using WZC. When I turn this off and used the Dlink utility the
> mouse is works fine. On this setup I didn't updated the firmware or drivers
> yet, but I will do this in the next couple of days. I will post back with my
> finding after the updates.
> TW
>
> "Txl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:28:34 GMT, Jonathan Eales <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP2
> >> recently,
> >> both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However all those
> >> who
> >> had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked with WZC. I've
> >> had
> >> to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each case and stop WZC
> >> managing the wireless connection. In all cases this has worked.
> >>
> >> Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com, Belkin,
> >> Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All could see
> >> the
> >> wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.
> >>
> >> Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecured WLAN?
> >>
> >> What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?
> >>
> >> All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
> >> programs.
> >>
> >> Jonathan
> >>

> > Hello
> >
> > By playing on 3 computyer only I have made it working this way :
> >
> > 1) remove WZC
> > 2) Use card's config tools to make it running unsecured
> > 3) Add WEP
> >
> > Don't forget to reboot between each step and make sure upon each reboot
> > that the WZC is not running, yoiu can run netstumbler because it also
> > shuts down the WZC.
> >
> > Bottom line is DON'T USE THE WZC !!!
> >
> > Good luck and good hunting
> >
> > --
> > Email contact
> >
> > http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

DrBol

I have had the same problem, after installing SP2 using a Belkin 11
wireless network. After a while the client gets stuck "acquiring
network address". The Repair-option solves the problem, but only for
while. The solution to the problem is a fix for SP2 provided b
Microsoft. For details look a
http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml. Using WP
works fine now.

Jonathan Eales wrote:
> *I've upgraded a number of my client's systems with Windows XP SP
> recently,
> both desktops and laptops usually without problems. However al
> those who
> had existing secured (WEP 64-bit) WLANs have not worked with WZC.
> I've had
> to fall back to the wireless cards utility in each case and stop WZC
> managing the wireless connection. In all cases this has worked.
>
> Different cards, PCI and PCMCIA from different vendors (3com
> Belkin,
> Linksys, Safecom, etc.) all had the same effect with WZC. All coul
> see the
> wireless network but could not acquire network address through DHCP.
>
> Disable security and WZC works fine. But who wants an unsecure
> WLAN?
>
> What gives with wireless and SP2 or am I doing something wrong?
>
> All systems are periodically checked with anti-virus and spy/adware
> programs.
>
> Jonathan

-
DrBo