Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Please don't flame - real question!!

Please don't flame - real question!!

Alice Ciccu \(MS\)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >There are only two Practice Test Providers that Microsoft officially
> >recognizes, MeasureUp and SelfTest Software. These two companies are part

of
> >our Practice Test Provider program and agree to follow certain standards
> >when developing their content.

> any chance of taking test king to court?
>
> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Kline Sphere,

Great question. I wish I was able to answer it.
--
Alice Ciccu
Assessments and Certification Exams

"This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights."

>One other point here. I have noticed that some responders
>on this group have a real elitist opinion about being able
>to qualify for a certification on anything other that
>experience.

In the real world, experience is all that count's; anyone stupid
enough to believe anything else deserves what they get - nothing.

Having said that, in order get into this profession, people need to be
able to demonstrate they have the aptitude required to start a career
in IT. The way business see's this is through a good education, at
least a Bs/Ba normally.

> This attitude is really quite selfish as many
>of us can work at large or small corporations for many
>years and never gain the experience needed so need and
>rely on training and books to get it.

Well, that's up the company in question. If such companies see you
(the employee) as anything other than an asset, well those companies
should not expect anything in return. However, the door swings both
ways, i.e. give and take.

>Many even large
>corporations are very slow to invest in new technology and
>when they do they seek to keep the expenses down to the
>point of very low quality work.

IT provides a service to the business, period. IT investment should
NOT be centered around the latest buzz worlds which IT grunts want to
get on their resume's.

Because a company does not bow to the marketing blurb of the software
houses, does not mean the 'quality of work' is poor. in fact it is
those companies that take risks with new and unproven technologies,
using inexperienced people, are the ones with the most to lose.

>Case in point is the company I worked at here that laid of
>over 800 IT people at one time. They still have not
>implemented .NET

So what? I know many people who support systems implemented in Cobol,
Fortran, blah, blah. They earn far more then me, and their respective
companies stock looks good too.

> - are struggling to do so but very
>poorly. They are mostly leaving it up to the employees to
>learn this. In fact they were requiring the IT people to
>build ASP.NET WEB pages using Notepad or Homesite. I
>suppose they could really learn the in and outs of the
>technology but outch.

The biggest problem in IT is down to many idiots involved at all
levels. Unskilled or poorly trained people have know place in IT. If a
company chooses to pursue such a strategy, they really are just
throwing money away.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZGFj?=

Alice,
I am using SelfTest Software.
How close are they to the real test question?
Do you recomend them?

Thanks.

Sam.

"Alice Ciccu (MS)" wrote:

> "CloseToDotNETSD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > okay
> >
> > I know Braindump is pure cheat.
> > I know that MS provides practice exams for their courses in .NET.
> > I know they approve the practice exams by MeasureUP and Transcender and

> one
> > other I have seen lately.
> >
> > So what makes one practice exam okay and another like say (don't flame me
> > here) testking not okay.
> >
> > It is very disturbing that there are no clear cut guidelines, just a lot

> of
> > emotion over this issue.
> >
> > I have been studying for over a year now for MCSD and have only used
> > MeasureUP simply because it is supplied by the outfit I am using for the
> > training.
> >
> > What disturbs me even more is some of my classmates who have not studied

> at
> > all have taken exams and passed with flying colors - like 900+. Even worse
> > one case I know never took any other exams and only studied for the 70-300
> > for 2 weeks and took the exam and got 900+ and he told me he would cheat.
> >
> > So I am upset about this because I won't cheat but my question on testking
> > still stands. Is it a full out cheat like braindump?
> >
> > What is the difference????

> There are only two Practice Test Providers that Microsoft officially
> recognizes, MeasureUp and SelfTest Software. These two companies are part of
> our Practice Test Provider program and agree to follow certain standards
> when developing their content.
>
> --
> Alice Ciccu
> Assessments and Certification Exams
> Microsoft Learning
>
> "This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights."

valko

> The biggest problem in IT is down to many idiots involved at all
> levels.

Exactly! I like very much my MCSD.NET logo, but real truth is that there is
no other way to be good developer then working that many years
for real companies doing real business from it (using COBOL, PERL, C#
whatever).

Please do not expect after passing few funny exams to became good
developer - it takes time and work.

As I read somewhere about all new hot, modern etc. technologies: "There is
too many book reading going on, and too less working."

cheers
Valko

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >One other point here. I have noticed that some responders
> >on this group have a real elitist opinion about being able
> >to qualify for a certification on anything other that
> >experience.

> In the real world, experience is all that count's; anyone stupid
> enough to believe anything else deserves what they get - nothing.
>
> Having said that, in order get into this profession, people need to be
> able to demonstrate they have the aptitude required to start a career
> in IT. The way business see's this is through a good education, at
> least a Bs/Ba normally.
>
> > This attitude is really quite selfish as many
> >of us can work at large or small corporations for many
> >years and never gain the experience needed so need and
> >rely on training and books to get it.

> Well, that's up the company in question. If such companies see you
> (the employee) as anything other than an asset, well those companies
> should not expect anything in return. However, the door swings both
> ways, i.e. give and take.
>
> >Many even large
> >corporations are very slow to invest in new technology and
> >when they do they seek to keep the expenses down to the
> >point of very low quality work.

> IT provides a service to the business, period. IT investment should
> NOT be centered around the latest buzz worlds which IT grunts want to
> get on their resume's.
>
> Because a company does not bow to the marketing blurb of the software
> houses, does not mean the 'quality of work' is poor. in fact it is
> those companies that take risks with new and unproven technologies,
> using inexperienced people, are the ones with the most to lose.
>
> >Case in point is the company I worked at here that laid of
> >over 800 IT people at one time. They still have not
> >implemented .NET

> So what? I know many people who support systems implemented in Cobol,
> Fortran, blah, blah. They earn far more then me, and their respective
> companies stock looks good too.
>
> > - are struggling to do so but very
> >poorly. They are mostly leaving it up to the employees to
> >learn this. In fact they were requiring the IT people to
> >build ASP.NET WEB pages using Notepad or Homesite. I
> >suppose they could really learn the in and outs of the
> >technology but outch.

> The biggest problem in IT is down to many idiots involved at all
> levels. Unskilled or poorly trained people have know place in IT. If a
> company chooses to pursue such a strategy, they really are just
> throwing money away.
>
> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

UAError

"valko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>As I read somewhere about all new hot, modern etc. technologies: "There is
>too many book reading going on, and too less working."
>
>cheers
>Valko

LOL

So you READ that there's too much READING going on ... looks
like you already joined them.

Actually I think I it was Scott Ambler that wrote somewhere
that the "average" IT worker reads less than 1 technical
book per year - he was making a case that really you should
be aiming for 1 technical book a month (i.e. 12 every year);
that is while you are attending to a full-time job - lets
face it, its part of our job.

We could ask all the vendors to stop developing technology
at this speed so we all could do some actual work rather
than having to constantly update ourselves.

Maybe whats really going on is that there are too many
people working on creating "new" technologies - rather than
doing something "productive" with the technology that
already exits - this continuous learning curve must defeat
most of the promised savings...

Meanwhile everybody is so focused on technology when they
should be focusing on refining their craft.