Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > wtd : free C++ compiler

wtd : free C++ compiler

Naveed

Hello,

I am at university studying computing and have a C++ project to do. I live
a very long distance from uni and don't want to waste time travelling to use
their computers. I haven't started my project yet but will be starting
soon. I would like to use a C++ compiler at home on my own computer as this
will definitely save me time and bus money. Can anyone please recommend a
free compiler I can download and use.

I would appreciate any help/advise.

Regards

Naveed

sugary.boy@gmail.com

In that case work on Linux operating system, which is free to & u will
get free compiler along with it called gcc. U can go for redHat Linux
9.0, u can download from readhat.com

Bugbear.1973

I got through my uni studies by using the Borland Free C++ compiler.
You are required to fill out a survey first before being allowed to
download the compiler.

NB it is a command line only compiler - no GUI !!!

Go to http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

Naveed

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> In that case work on Linux operating system, which is free to & u will
> get free compiler along with it called gcc. U can go for redHat Linux
> 9.0, u can download from readhat.com

Thanks for the reply. I dont want to change from XP to linux. I dont have
the time to learn how to use a different os yet but it is on my list of
things to do in the future.

thanks

Manfred

If you are using Windows you could try

http://www.mingw.org

this is the gcc/g++ compiler which originally comes from Linux ported to
Windows.

or http://www.cygwin.com

this is a complete Linux environment for Windows including gcc/g++ and a
lot more programs which could be helpful too.

And of course you could try Linux directly which comes along with gcc.

Manfred

Naveed

"Bugbear.1973" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I got through my uni studies by using the Borland Free C++ compiler.
> You are required to fill out a survey first before being allowed to
> download the compiler.
>
> NB it is a command line only compiler - no GUI !!!
>
> Go to http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

Hello Bugbear.1973

Thanks for the reply. Your link looks good but unfortunately my project
requires GUI capability.

Thanks anyway

Naveed

Torsten Mueller

"Naveed" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:

> Your link looks good but unfortunately my project requires GUI
> capability.

But what GUI do you mean? Windows?

Try gcc in the MinGW package. You can do all Windows programming you
want including creation of DLLs and more.

But notice, GUI programming needs sooner or later a GUI-IDE. You will
be able to create dialog resources, bitmaps, toolbars and more. I
don't know a free compiler supporting this really. So try to get a
student version of Visual C++.

T.M.

=?iso-8859-1?q?St=E9phane_Wirtel?=

You can download QT OpenSource Edition, or WxWidgets, or GtkMM.

there are many toolkit to make a GUI for your project.

Manfred

Naveed wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Your link looks good but unfortunately my project
> requires GUI capability.

I think you should try something like wxwidgets or similar, because
there is a gui-builder available and it is possible to run the program
on other Operating systems than windows.

Manfred

RAYYILDIZ

You can use g++ compiler on windows xp. You can downlaod the dev-c++
and you can use it freely. Dev-C++ use gcc / g++ compiler on windows
platform. Maybe you need a IDE for writing codes. You can use some
free c/c++ editor. Most of them helps you to colour the code. Also you
can download the eclipse IDE. It is develpoped for java. Hovewer it was
adapted to C/C++ like IDE.
if you want to change your OS, you will find so much help tools on the
linux. It is not matter what you select linux distrubtion.
Good luck.