Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > In a timeline pinch (Suspense: 25Jul05) pleading for assistance - Q1

In a timeline pinch (Suspense: 25Jul05) pleading for assistance - Q1

Daniel Antonson

Fellow programmers,

As one of you pointed out, I've been taking 3 online courses (2 are done)
and have run into a time crunch. I started these courses in Oct04, but
between work (US Army in DC), caring for my wife (stroke in Dec03 due to
lupus complications) & daughter (4), and preparing for transfer/deployment
(my stepson,- 23, says he'll care for them during my absence). I've had
little time for anything else.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Granted, it isn't the proper
approach, but the time
remaining demands urgent solutions.

very respectfully,
Daniel

1. Which of the following usually indicates that there is no more input to
be read by a program?

a. '\n'
b. '\0'
c. END
d. EOF

2. What is the effect of the following code?
char Ch;
Ch = '7';
printf("%d\n", Ch);

a. It will cause an error
b. It will print out the computer's internal code for the character '7'
c. It will print out the character '7'
d. It will print out the character whose internal code is 7

3. What is the effect of the following code?
char Ch;
while ((Ch=getchar() ) != ';')
putchar (Ch);

a. It will read and write characters until something other than a ; is read.
b. It will read characters up to and including the first semicolon, and
write characters up to but not including the first semicolon.
c. It will read and write characters up to but not including the first
semicolon.
d. It will skip characters up to the first semicolon, then write the next
character.

4. It is necessary to use an int instead of a char for processing a
character:

a. whenever a computation is performed on the character.
b. whenever a test for EOF is made.
c. whenever the character is passed as a parameter to a function.
d. It is never necessary to use an int for character processing.

5. What characters are output by the following code:

char Ch='/';
while (Ch != 'd')
{
putchar(Ch);
Ch = getchar();
}

given the following input? abcdefghi

a. abc
b. d
c. /abc
d. /efghi

6. What is the effect of the following code?

char Ch;
while ((Ch = getchar()) != '\n')
putchar(' ');

a. It reads and writes exactly one line with a blank after each character.
b. It reads one line but outputs only blanks.
c. It reads a line and then outputs one blank.
d. It reads and writes one line with all blanks replaced by newlines.

7. In general, when an int is combined with a long in an expression, the
result is:

a. int
b. long
c. double
d. A syntax error

8. Given the following declarations:

int N;
char C;
float X;

what is the type of the expression C+N*X?

a. char
b. int
c. float
d. The expression contains a syntax error

9. Given the following declarations and initialization:

int i = 1;
int x = 2.0;

What is the value and type of the expression i/x?

a. .5 double
b. .5 int
c. 0.0 float
d. 0 int

10. Given the following declarations and initializations:

int n = 8;
int z = 2.0;

What is the value and type of the expression z=n?

a. 8 int
b. 8 float
c. 8 double
d. 8 unsigned

11. Which of the following statements is true?
a. int expressions are always computed exactly; but float expressions can
suffer round-off error
b. float expressions are always computed exactly; but int expressions can
suffer round-off error
c. Both int and float expressions can suffer round-off error
d. Both int and float expressions will always be computed exactly

12. Given the following declarations:

int N;
float X;

what is the type of the expression X%N?

a. int
b. float
c. double
d. can't use float with %

13. Choose the C statement which defines an enumeration type fuzzy
consisting of values false, maybe, and true. Defined so that maybe is
greater in value than false but less than true.

a. enum fuzzy {false, maybe, true};
b. enum fuzzy {true, false, maybe};
c. enum fuzzy {false, maybe, true}
d. enum fuzzy {true, maybe, false};

14. Given the type definition below:

enum color {red, yellow, green, blue};

what is the value of the expression (int) blue?

a. 2
b. 3
c. 4
d. blue

15. Which of the following statements allocates space for a variable of the
defined enum type?

a. enum color {red, yellow, blue} paint;
b. enum color {red, yellow, blue};
c. enum {red, yellow, blue} paint;
d. a and c

Answer questions 16 and 17 given the following values for the int variables
X and Y

X=1100110000110011
Y=0000111100001010

16. What is the binary representation of X<<5?

a. 1000011001100000
b. 1000011001111111
c. 0000110011000000
d. 0000110011111111

17. What is the two's complement of -Y (negative Y)?

a. 0000111100001010
b. 1111000011110101
c. 1111000011110110
d. 1100000000110001

18. If X is an int variable, what do we know about the value of X&X?

a. It is always equal to X.
b. It is always greater than 1.
c. It is always equal to zero.
d. It is always equal to 1.

19. A pointer variable contains:

a. an integer.
b. the address of another variable.
c. any data type.
d. a character string.

20. The term "dereferencing" means:

a. taking the address of another variable.
b. deleting a variable.
c. retrieving the value of a variable given its address.
d. making an assignment to a pointer variable.

21. Which of the statements below is true of the following declaration:

int n=5, *p=&n;

a. p is a pointer initialized to point to n.
b. p is a pointer initialized to the value 5.
c. n and p are both pointer variables.
d. The declaration contains a syntax error

22. Call-by-reference is:

a. not available in C.
b. accomplished by declaring a formal parameter to be a pointer.
c. accomplished be using a de-referenced pointer as a parameter.
d. accomplished by putting an ampersand (&) in the formal parameter.

23. If you want a variable declared inside a function to retain its previous
value when the block is re-entered, what type of storage class should you
use?

a. auto
b. static
c. register
d. extern

24. The address operator & cannot be applied to which of the following?

a. constants
b. expressions
c. variables of class register
d. All of the above

25. Write the output produced by the following code:

int x=5, y=6, *p=&x, *q=&y;
x=*q;
*p = *q + 2;
*q=x;
printf("%d %d %d %d\n", x, y, *p, *q);

a. 8 8 8 8
b. 5 6 5 6
c. 6 8 5 6
d. 6 8 6 8

"Daniel Antonson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the effect of the following code?
>
> char Ch;
>
> while ((Ch=getchar() ) != ';')
>
> putchar (Ch);
>
> a. It will read and write characters until something other than a ; is
> read.
>
> b. It will read characters up to and including the first semicolon,
>
> and write characters up to but not including the first semicolon.
>
> c. It will read and write characters up to but not including the first
> semicolon.
>
> d. It will skip characters up to the first semicolon, then write the
>
> next character.

John Smith

Daniel:

Just off the top of my head, without checking any of my answers, here
is what I have to offer (the ????? means I DEFINENTLY do not
know--double check the answers I did give against others,some of those
questions are a bit tricky--hope this helps):
1) d.
2) b.
3) a.
4) d.
5) c.
6) b.
7) b.
c.
9) d.
10) a.
11) a.
12) ????????????????
13) a.
14) b.
15) b.
16) a.
17) ????????????
1 a.
19) b.
20) c.
21) a.
22) ??????????
23) b.
24) d.
25) b.

John

> [...]
>
> a. 8 8 8 8
> b. 5 6 5 6
> c. 6 8 5 6
> d. 6 8 6 8
>

> "Daniel Antonson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is the effect of the following code?
>>
>> char Ch;
>>
>> while ((Ch=getchar() ) != ';')
>>
>> putchar (Ch);
>>
>> a. It will read and write characters until something other than a ;
>> is
>> read.
>>
>> b. It will read characters up to and including the first semicolon,
>>
>> and write characters up to but not including the first semicolon.
>>
>> c. It will read and write characters up to but not including the
>> first
>> semicolon.
>>
>> d. It will skip characters up to the first semicolon, then write

Howard

"Daniel Antonson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fellow programmers,
>
> As one of you pointed out, I've been taking 3 online courses (2 are done)
> and have run into a time crunch. I started these courses in Oct04, but
> between work (US Army in DC), caring for my wife (stroke in Dec03 due to
> lupus complications) & daughter (4), and preparing for transfer/deployment
> (my stepson,- 23, says he'll care for them during my absence). I've had
> little time for anything else.
>
> I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Granted, it isn't the proper
> approach, but the time
> remaining demands urgent solutions.
>
> very respectfully,
> Daniel

Yeah, I'd agree. This isn't the proper approach.

No amount of hardship justifies us simply giving you the answers to your
homework. Plus, it won't help you, and it won't help anyone else, if you
pass a course simply by having the answers fed to you.

Please, folks, don't give him the answers!

-Howard

John Smith

Daniel:

After thinking about it a bit, my best guesses on the questions I
didn't answer at first are:
12) d.
17) b.
22) b.

John

> [...]
>
> a. 8 8 8 8
> b. 5 6 5 6
> c. 6 8 5 6
> d. 6 8 6 8
>

> "Daniel Antonson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is the effect of the following code?
>>
>> char Ch;
>>
>> while ((Ch=getchar() ) != ';')
>>
>> putchar (Ch);
>>
>> a. It will read and write characters until something other than a ;
>> is
>> read.
>>
>> b. It will read characters up to and including the first semicolon,
>>
>> and write characters up to but not including the first semicolon.
>>
>> c. It will read and write characters up to but not including the
>> first
>> semicolon.
>>
>> d. It will skip characters up to the first semicolon, then write

John Smith

Daniel:

If you use all my answers, at the very least you will get a passing
grade...

John

> [...]
>
> a. 8 8 8 8
> b. 5 6 5 6
> c. 6 8 5 6
> d. 6 8 6 8
>

> "Daniel Antonson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is the effect of the following code?
>>
>> char Ch;
>>
>> while ((Ch=getchar() ) != ';')
>>
>> putchar (Ch);
>>
>> a. It will read and write characters until something other than a ;
>> is
>> read.
>>
>> b. It will read characters up to and including the first semicolon,
>>
>> and write characters up to but not including the first semicolon.
>>
>> c. It will read and write characters up to but not including the
>> first
>> semicolon.
>>
>> d. It will skip characters up to the first semicolon, then write

Alan Johnson

Daniel Antonson wrote:

> 2. What is the effect of the following code?
> char Ch;
> Ch = '7';
> printf("%d\n", Ch);
>
> a. It will cause an error
> b. It will print out the computer's internal code for the character '7'
> c. It will print out the character '7'
> d. It will print out the character whose internal code is 7

I don't have a copy of the C standard handy to check, but I think that
none of these is actually correct, as the program fragment exhibits
undefined behavior.

John Smith

Alan:

The code obviously prints out the ascii value (55) of the character
'7'.

%d instructs the printf statement to print an integer representation

John

"Alan Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)_edu> wrote in message
news:dahplv$4mm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Daniel Antonson wrote:
>
>> 2. What is the effect of the following code?
>> char Ch;
>> Ch = '7';
>> printf("%d\n", Ch);
>>
>> a. It will cause an error
>> b. It will print out the computer's internal code for the character
>> '7'
>> c. It will print out the character '7'
>> d. It will print out the character whose internal code is 7

> I don't have a copy of the C standard handy to check, but I think
> that none of these is actually correct, as the program fragment
> exhibits undefined behavior.

David White

John Smith wrote:
> Daniel:
>
> If you use all my answers, at the very least you will get a passing
> grade...

And he won't have learned a thing. Perhaps you can explain to us what you
think the purpose of a course is?

DW

John Smith

David:

I obviously do not need to explain anything at all to you, your are
rude and quite egotistical in even suggesting I should. What foreign
country have you been spawned in.

Put simply, "NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!"

Besides, that is a very simplistic test, anyone with a text book on c
could get to that speed in hours... just been decades since I was in
college and I am a bit old, rusty and slow
--or--
I would have answered more quickly!

John

"David White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news6_ye.23398$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> John Smith wrote:
>> Daniel:
>>
>> If you use all my answers, at the very least you will get a passing
>> grade...

> And he won't have learned a thing. Perhaps you can explain to us
> what you
> think the purpose of a course is?
>
> DW

red floyd

John Smith wrote:
> Alan:
>
> The code obviously prints out the ascii value (55) of the character
> '7'.
>
> %d instructs the printf statement to print an integer representation
>
> John
>
> "Alan Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)_edu> wrote in message
> news:dahplv$4mm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Daniel Antonson wrote:
>>

>>>2. What is the effect of the following code?
>>>char Ch;
>>>Ch = '7';
>>>printf("%d\n", Ch);
>>>
>>>a. It will cause an error
>>>b. It will print out the computer's internal code for the character
>>>'7'
>>>c. It will print out the character '7'
>>>d. It will print out the character whose internal code is 7

>>I don't have a copy of the C standard handy to check, but I think
>>that none of these is actually correct, as the program fragment
>>exhibits undefined behavior.

But Ch isn't cast to an int, and since printf() is variadic, there is no
guarantee as to what is actually passed as a parameter. I also do not
have my copy of the Standard available, but I'd be willing to bet it's UB.

Just A Pinch Between The Cheek And Gum!! Rita Berkowitz Digital Photography 13 01-14-2008 08:36 PM
55mm 'pinch' type len caps? T i m Digital Photography 14 08-09-2006 08:52 PM
JWSU with Pinch Glove folding Java 0 05-05-2006 02:17 PM
In a timeline pinch (Suspense: 25Jul05) pleading for assistance - Q1 Daniel Antonson C Programming 8 07-07-2005 05:00 AM
MCSD Timeline Sean MCSD 2 10-14-2003 08:35 PM

Advertisments