Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > MS Press MCAD/MCSD sample web apps configuration error

MS Press MCAD/MCSD sample web apps configuration error

Tom Dacon

From the MS Press MCAD/MCSD .Net core requirements self-paced training kit,
I've installed the web apps (2nd edition) samples using the CD setup.

The default.aspx page in the root of the virtual directory works OK, but if
I go one or more directories and try to run a page, I get an error I can't
figure out how to handle. The error description is supplied at the end of
this message.

I'm running Windows XP with service pack 2, IE6 SP1, VS 2003, and .Net
Framework 1.1 with service pack 1. I have a feeling this has something to do
with XP service pack 2, but I don't know how to interpret the error message.

Has anyone else seen this, and know the solution?

TIA,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

Here's the entire contents of the error page:

Server Error in '/MCSDWebApps' Application.

Configuration Error

in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 41: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile
services for member sites.
Line 42: -->
Line 43: <authentication mode="None">
Line 44: </authentication>
Line 45: <!-- AUTHORIZATION

Source File: C:\Microsoft Press\MCSDWebApps2\MCSDWebAppsCS\web.config
Line: 43

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

Tom Dacon

OK, I figured this out since posting it:

The root virtual directory MCSDWebApps2 has an application in it, and the
MCSDWebAppsCS subdirectory of that directory also has an application in it,
but MCSDWebAppsCS itself was not defined by the setup program as a virtual
directory in its own right. After some monkey motion, moving files away to a
temporary location, creating a virtual directory under MCSDWebApps2, and
moving the subdirectories back in, everything's working OK.

Hope you didn't waste much time thinking about my previous post.

Regards,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...