Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > passing structures among functions

Reply
Thread Tools

passing structures among functions

 
 
sofeng
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2007
The following link shows a chart I created about passing structures
among functions. Would you review it and tell me if it requires any
corrections?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_lZhqNsiakm4/...00-h/gif_1.gif

Thank you.
sofeng

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2007

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, sofeng wrote:
>
> The following link shows a chart I created about passing structures
> among functions. Would you review it and tell me if it requires any
> corrections?
>
> http://bp2.blogger.com/_lZhqNsiakm4/...00-h/gif_1.gif


FYI, many readers of Usenet *will not* go to a Web page just because
a pseudonymous poster asks them to, especially when the page has such
an obviously machine-generated URL. (And perhaps doubly so when the
URL is actually the URL of an HTML page, despite the ".gif" ending.
That's just unnecessary.)

Note to prospective Web-goers: I used 'wget' to grab the GIF, so if
there's any malicious code on that Web page, I didn't encounter it.
Don't think I'm endorsing the page.

Okay, now on to your question. Mistakes ordered from most significant
to least significant:

* All your ".h" files are missing the include guards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Include_guard
* "get_data.h" refers to DATA, so it needs to #include "defs.h".
* "get_data.c" refers to get_data(), so it needs to #include "get_data.h".
* "DATA", in all caps, looks like a preprocessor macro. It is better to
use something non-macro-ish, such as "Data" or "data_t". Except...
* The use of "typedef" is superfluous, and most comp.lang.c regulars
will counsel you not to use it. Give the struct a tag, such as "struct
data", and use that instead.
* You spelled "definitions" as "definitons" in one place.
* "float" is rarely used; "double" would be more newbie-friendly, if your
goal is to show what real code looks like.
* "Header files should only contain declarations." should read
"Header files should contain only declarations." (And macro definitions,
and comments.)
* Burn your GIFs and use PNG instead; it's cooler.

HTH,
-Arthur
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ian Collins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2007
Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

> Note to prospective Web-goers: I used 'wget' to grab the GIF, so if
> there's any malicious code on that Web page, I didn't encounter it.
> Don't think I'm endorsing the page.
>

Better to just avoid the windows/IE combination

--
Ian Collins.
 
Reply With Quote
 
sofeng
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2007
On Mar 2, 5:16 pm, "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, sofeng wrote:
>
> > The following link shows a chart I created about passing structures
> > among functions. Would you review it and tell me if it requires any
> > corrections?

>
> >http://bp2.blogger.com/_lZhqNsiakm4/...AAAk/wvyV3Yx8g...

>
> FYI, many readers of Usenet *will not* go to a Web page just because
> a pseudonymous poster asks them to, especially when the page has such
> an obviously machine-generated URL. (And perhaps doubly so when the
> URL is actually the URL of an HTML page, despite the ".gif" ending.
> That's just unnecessary.)
>
> Note to prospective Web-goers: I used 'wget' to grab the GIF, so if
> there's any malicious code on that Web page, I didn't encounter it.
> Don't think I'm endorsing the page.
>
> Okay, now on to your question. Mistakes ordered from most significant
> to least significant:
>
> * All your ".h" files are missing the include guards.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Include_guard
> * "get_data.h" refers to DATA, so it needs to #include "defs.h".
> * "get_data.c" refers to get_data(), so it needs to #include "get_data.h".
> * "DATA", in all caps, looks like a preprocessor macro. It is better to
> use something non-macro-ish, such as "Data" or "data_t". Except...
> * The use of "typedef" is superfluous, and most comp.lang.c regulars
> will counsel you not to use it. Give the struct a tag, such as "struct
> data", and use that instead.
> * You spelled "definitions" as "definitons" in one place.
> * "float" is rarely used; "double" would be more newbie-friendly, if your
> goal is to show what real code looks like.
> * "Header files should only contain declarations." should read
> "Header files should contain only declarations." (And macro definitions,
> and comments.)
> * Burn your GIFs and use PNG instead; it's cooler.
>
> HTH,
> -Arthur


Thank you much for the feedback. I have made the changes suggested.
How does it look now? Here is the link for the png file:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_lZhqNsiakm4/...00-h/png_1.png
The text contained in the diagram is below:

main.c:
- main.c contains the main function which calls the other functions
that operate on the data structure.
- It also defines (allocates memory) for the data structure at the
file level.
- The data structure is declared using the static keyword so that it
will have static duration (i.e. it will exist from program start to
finish), but it will have internal linkage (i.e. it won't be global).
- The address operator, &, is used to create a pointer to the data
structure which is passed to the other functions.

#include "defs.h"
#include "get_data.h"
#include "modify_data.h"

static struct data the_data;

int main()
{
get_data(&the_data);
modify_data(&the_data);

return 0;
}

get_data.c:
- get_data() fills the data structure
- it is passed a pointer to the data structure defined in main.c

#include "defs.h"
#include "get_data.h"

int get_data(struct data *data_ptr)
{
data_ptr->item1 = 1;
data_ptr->item2 = 2;
data_ptr->item3 = 3.0;
data_ptr->item4 = 4.0;

return 0;
}

modify_data.c:
- modify_data() modifies the data structure
- It is similar to get_data()

#include "defs.h"
#include "modify_data.h"

int modify_data(struct data *data_ptr)
{
data_ptr->item2 += 1;
data_ptr->item4 += 1.0;

return 0;
}

defs.h:
- contains the structure data type declaration

#ifndef DEFS_H_
#define DEFS_H_

struct data
{
int item1;
int item2;
double item3;
double item4;
};

#endif /*DEFS_H_*/

get_data.h:
- contains the get_data() function declaration

#ifndef GET_DATA_H_
#define GET_DATA_H_

#include "defs.h"

int get_data(struct data *data_ptr);

#endif /*GET_DATA_H_*/

modify_data.h:
- contains the modify_data() function declaration

#ifndef MODIFY_DATA_H_
#define MODIFY_DATA_H_

#include "defs.h"

int modify_data(struct data *data_ptr);

#endif /*MODIFY_DATA_H_*/

NOTE: Header files should contain only declarations, macro
definitions, and comments. They should not contain variable
definitions because if the header file is included in multiple
locations, there would be multiple definitions of the same variable.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Flash Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2007
sofeng wrote, On 06/03/07 02:07:

<snip>

> Thank you much for the feedback. I have made the changes suggested.
> How does it look now? Here is the link for the png file:
> http://bp1.blogger.com/_lZhqNsiakm4/...00-h/png_1.png
> The text contained in the diagram is below:


I'm still not following the link (too lazy) but since you've included
the code it does not matter

> main.c:
> - main.c contains the main function which calls the other functions
> that operate on the data structure.
> - It also defines (allocates memory) for the data structure at the
> file level.
> - The data structure is declared using the static keyword so that it
> will have static duration (i.e. it will exist from program start to
> finish), but it will have internal linkage (i.e. it won't be global).
> - The address operator, &, is used to create a pointer to the data
> structure which is passed to the other functions.
>
> #include "defs.h"
> #include "get_data.h"
> #include "modify_data.h"
>
> static struct data the_data;


There is no need for this to be a file scope variable. Better would be
to declare it inside main and not static. This will also "hide" it from
any other functions you (or someone else) later write in the source file
containing it.

> int main()


As you are not using command line parameters better to be explicit
int main(void)

> {

struct data the_data;
Or, if you want it to be initialised
struct data the_data = {0};

> get_data(&the_data);
> modify_data(&the_data);
>
> return 0;
> }
>
> get_data.c:
> - get_data() fills the data structure
> - it is passed a pointer to the data structure defined in main.c
>
> #include "defs.h"
> #include "get_data.h"
>
> int get_data(struct data *data_ptr)


Since this only ever returns the one value why have it return anything
at all? Better would be
void get_data(struct data *data_ptr)
Then loose the return at the bottom.

> {
> data_ptr->item1 = 1;
> data_ptr->item2 = 2;
> data_ptr->item3 = 3.0;
> data_ptr->item4 = 4.0;
>
> return 0;
> }
>
> modify_data.c:
> - modify_data() modifies the data structure
> - It is similar to get_data()
>
> #include "defs.h"
> #include "modify_data.h"
>
> int modify_data(struct data *data_ptr)


Same comment as last one. Better
void modify_data(struct data *data_ptr)

<snip stuff that looked OK at a glance>

> NOTE: Header files should contain only declarations, macro
> definitions, and comments. They should not contain variable
> definitions because if the header file is included in multiple
> locations, there would be multiple definitions of the same variable.


typedefs are also OK in headers when it makes sense to use them, which
it does sometimes.
--
Flash Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
structures, structures and more structures (questions about nestedstructures) Alfonso Morra C Programming 11 09-24-2005 07:42 PM
Passing member functions to C functions? Steven T. Hatton C++ 7 10-07-2004 02:12 AM
please help me in distinguish redefining functions, overloading functions and overriding functions. Xiangliang Meng C++ 1 06-21-2004 03:11 AM
Type Casting IPv4 and IPv6 structures to Generic Structures tweak C Programming 14 06-11-2004 02:43 PM
Help! Passing Templates functions to template functions ILLOGIC C++ 1 06-01-2004 10:51 PM



Advertisments