Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Service pack 2 - wireless adapter unable to connect DHCP

Service pack 2 - wireless adapter unable to connect DHCP

=?Utf-8?B?QXJ0aXR1cw==?=

Brian,

I'm all ears!

What steps would you like me to follow to start me down the track of sorting
this issue out?

Regards

Si.

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> a LAN network is connected and has an address is independent of the WLAN
> connection and it's address.
>
> There are fewer problems with SP2 and WLAN networks than in SP1. This I
> know for a fact. However, some problems need good diagnosis, collection of
> information and triage. To that end, I can specifically explain to you how
> to recover the logs from Wireless Networking, and I can offer you the help
> in triaging your problems.
>
> I am hoping that Tomi follows-up with my action list, and Artitus, if you
> can repost your problems, I can also to diagnose your specific problem as
> well.
> I am confident that we can resolve all the WiFi issues you both may be
> having.
>

> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Wehrle
> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> Microsoft Corp.
>

> "Artitus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tomi,
> >
> > Judging by the other posts on this newsgroup there is a problem with SP2
> > and
> > wireless networks. I have the same - do a search for Artitus and you will
> > see just a couple of them and my specific problem.
> >
> > The only short term fix is to temporarily connect the laptop in question
> > a hardwired ethernet cable as this seems to force windows to release the
> > IP
> > address. The wireless connection then sorts itself out, and the laptop
> > can
> > then be disconnected form the ethernet cable.
> >
> > I have not yet seen any other or permanent fixes for this.
> >

> > Simon.
> >
> > "Tomi" wrote:
> >
> >> I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2
> >> today.
> >>
> >> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless
> >> network
> >> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems
> >> prior
> >> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
> >> other
> >> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi
> >> access
> >> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> >> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >>
> >> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
> >> from
> >> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
> >>
> >> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> >> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.

=?Utf-8?B?UC4=?=

Hi Brian,

I have had IDNETICAL problems to these. In my case the problem appears to
be IP address based. After installing SP2 I have brief connectivity to my
WLAN and then nothing. Roll back to SP1 and everything is fine.

I know my network encryption settings etc and they are all correct. There
are definitely issues in SP2 with wireless networking. I have no problems
with Windows any version from 98 up, except Windows XP SP2 which has some
sort of problem/setting that is not obvious.

Can you suggest a series of steps as mentioned in your previous post ?

Ta !

P.

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> prior
> >> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
> >> other
> >> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi
> >> access
> >> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> >> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >>
> >> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
> >> from
> >> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
> >>
> >> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> >> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.

Chris Catt

Hi, strange you should have issues with SP2 and wireless as my home system
and my work setup works just fine. I've not changed any of the settings at
all.....
ChrisC
news:(E-Mail Removed)...