Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Whats going on??

Whats going on??

SirReadAlot

Hi guys,
I become mcsd.net certified in July 04. Before that I
have spent 3 years at a London University studying
Business Information Systems.

I have been applying for work since July but all the
Agencys and Job Adverts seem to ask for is if I know any
ASP, COM, VB6, as well as the .net versions. Is this some
joke that after becoming .net certified, I now have to
learn Old programming codes??.

Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
these companies need to be moving on with new tech.

Anyway I will like to thank everyone for all there help
while I was studying for the .net exams and to all new
comers, just work hard and remain focused.

Thanks

SirReadAlot

Hermit Dave

look you in the market the number of new projects is limited. for that most
people are going .net.
there is some code from DNA era which was VB6 and C++/ATL COM and even ASP.
so what they are trying is to find
a person who can manage the old code.
if possible and need to migrate it to .net equivalent.
and ofcourse be able to do a brand new project in .net

--

Regards,

Hermit Dave
(http://hdave.blogspot.com)
"SirReadAlot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ad801c48fa0$c4caf070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I become mcsd.net certified in July 04. Before that I
> have spent 3 years at a London University studying
> Business Information Systems.
>
> I have been applying for work since July but all the
> Agencys and Job Adverts seem to ask for is if I know any
> ASP, COM, VB6, as well as the .net versions. Is this some
> joke that after becoming .net certified, I now have to
> learn Old programming codes??.
>
> Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
> about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
> these companies need to be moving on with new tech.
>
> Anyway I will like to thank everyone for all there help
> while I was studying for the .net exams and to all new
> comers, just work hard and remain focused.
>
> Thanks
>
> SirReadAlot

Hermit Dave

pardon my half sentences at places knackered right now... and got a
seminar to attend in the morning.
but there are jobs.. so dont worry... keep looking.. www.jobserve.co.uk

--

Regards,

Hermit Dave
(http://hdave.blogspot.com)
"Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> look you in the market the number of new projects is limited. for that

most
> people are going .net.
> there is some code from DNA era which was VB6 and C++/ATL COM and even

ASP.
> so what they are trying is to find
> a person who can manage the old code.
> if possible and need to migrate it to .net equivalent.
> and ofcourse be able to do a brand new project in .net
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Hermit Dave
> (http://hdave.blogspot.com)
> "SirReadAlot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3ad801c48fa0$c4caf070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys,
> > I become mcsd.net certified in July 04. Before that I
> > have spent 3 years at a London University studying
> > Business Information Systems.
> >
> > I have been applying for work since July but all the
> > Agencys and Job Adverts seem to ask for is if I know any
> > ASP, COM, VB6, as well as the .net versions. Is this some
> > joke that after becoming .net certified, I now have to
> > learn Old programming codes??.
> >
> > Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
> > about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
> > these companies need to be moving on with new tech.
> >
> > Anyway I will like to thank everyone for all there help
> > while I was studying for the .net exams and to all new
> > comers, just work hard and remain focused.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > SirReadAlot

..NET is passť.

(just kidding)

The fact is that it takes companies longer to re-tool their development
departments than it does for individual developers to re-tool their skills.
Another thing to keep in mind is that a developers who know both VS 6.0 and
VS.NET can contribute the most when it comes time to upgrade the existing
system.

WKidd

"SirReadAlot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ad801c48fa0$c4caf070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I become mcsd.net certified in July 04. Before that I
> have spent 3 years at a London University studying
> Business Information Systems.
>
> I have been applying for work since July but all the
> Agencys and Job Adverts seem to ask for is if I know any
> ASP, COM, VB6, as well as the .net versions. Is this some
> joke that after becoming .net certified, I now have to
> learn Old programming codes??.
>
> Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
> about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
> these companies need to be moving on with new tech.
>
> Anyway I will like to thank everyone for all there help
> while I was studying for the .net exams and to all new
> comers, just work hard and remain focused.
>
> Thanks
>
> SirReadAlot

Schfooge

"SirReadAlot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ad801c48fa0$c4caf070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I become mcsd.net certified in July 04. Before that I
> have spent 3 years at a London University studying
> Business Information Systems.
>
> I have been applying for work since July but all the
> Agencys and Job Adverts seem to ask for is if I know any
> ASP, COM, VB6, as well as the .net versions. Is this some
> joke that after becoming .net certified, I now have to
> learn Old programming codes??.
>
> Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
> about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
> these companies need to be moving on with new tech.

Many many many companies don't like moving to new technologies for various
reasons:

1) What they have works. It does what they need it to, so why worry about
getting something newer?

2) They would have to learn how to use the new technology. Why switch to
something new if it means sending your employees to classed to learn how to
use it?

3) New stuff costs money. The old stuff is already paid for.

Ususally, these companies only move to something newer when they have to
because of lack of support, or because the software won't run on newer
machines. A company I did some work for recently was still using ACCPAC
for DOS on Windows 95 boxes. They were having trouble because they bought a
couple new computers that came with Windows XP, and they couldn't get ACCPAC
for DOS working correctly on them.

It was no use telling them that it was probably time to think of moving to a
newer Windows-based ACCPAC. It was what the accounting dept. had been using
for years, and they knew it inside out.

Many technical recruiters play this game where they try to convince you that
your skills are lacking in some area and need improvement. They use this a
bargaining chip hoping a job seeker will then settle for a lowball offer.
The thing you need to keep in mind is that the recruiter is ultimately
promoting their client (the company); not you. This may not be your case,
but it's something to consider.

"SirReadAlot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ad801c48fa0$c4caf070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I become mcsd.net certified in July 04. Before that I
> have spent 3 years at a London University studying
> Business Information Systems.
>
> I have been applying for work since July but all the
> Agencys and Job Adverts seem to ask for is if I know any
> ASP, COM, VB6, as well as the .net versions. Is this some
> joke that after becoming .net certified, I now have to
> learn Old programming codes??.
>
> Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
> about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
> these companies need to be moving on with new tech.
>
> Anyway I will like to thank everyone for all there help
> while I was studying for the .net exams and to all new
> comers, just work hard and remain focused.
>
> Thanks
>
> SirReadAlot

The technologies used within the IT industry change rapidly, always
have done, always will do.

Any company worth their salt would not place such a high importance on
'buzzwords'. Such companies require real world experience within their
own business sector. Gaining such experience is far harder than
learning dot net, vs98, j2ee, etc,etc, for which learning such
frameworks, tools etc is part and parcel of the profession.

Software development involves much more than just coding, in fact any
in house software development project which expends more than fifteen
percent of resources on implementation, is wasting effort.

>Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
>about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
>these companies need to be moving on with new tech.

Any company which falls for the latest buzzword spurge deserves what
they get. While it is indeed true that 'most' new IT related
technologies can help business, it is by no means certain any short or
medium term gains will be made by using such 'bleeding edge'
technologies. In any case why should a company whose core business is
NOT creating software waste money by also dancing to the tune played
by some software companies marketing machine, when there is no
tangible gain to be seen?

As an example, given dot net, their is no business problems which
cannot be solved with dot net which could not be solve with pre dot
net tools.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:23:33 -0700, "SirReadAlot"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>I become mcsd.net certified in July 04. Before that I
>have spent 3 years at a London University studying
>Business Information Systems.
>
>I have been applying for work since July but all the
>Agencys and Job Adverts seem to ask for is if I know any
>ASP, COM, VB6, as well as the .net versions. Is this some
>joke that after becoming .net certified, I now have to
>learn Old programming codes??.
>
>Went for an interview today and the boss kept talking
>about com, vb6, are these trick questions?. I thought all
>these companies need to be moving on with new tech.
>
>Anyway I will like to thank everyone for all there help
>while I was studying for the .net exams and to all new
>comers, just work hard and remain focused.
>
>Thanks
>
>SirReadAlot

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3