Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > time lapse on still or video cameras?

time lapse on still or video cameras?

JXStern

I'm in the market for a new digital camera, would like to have the
"time lapse" feature that shoots one frame every couple of seconds, or
thereabouts. I've seen it on some still cameras with a rather short
time limit - hour or so. Are there any still cameras that do it
better?

Is it available on video cameras with a longer duration? I'd like to
use it for some semi-surveillance kinds of apps (birds and bugs,
actually). A video camera with a few gig of flash memory and this
capability might be ideal.

If it could be triggered with a motion-sensor, even better!

Getting hard to tell the still cameras from the videos, some of the
little hybrids look cute, new Canon TX1 looks hot, thanks for any
advice.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022203canontx1.asp

J.

Paul Rubin

JXStern <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Is it available on video cameras with a longer duration? I'd like to
> use it for some semi-surveillance kinds of apps (birds and bugs,
> actually). A video camera with a few gig of flash memory and this
> capability might be ideal.

Try a web cam.

JXStern

On 03 Mar 2007 19:18:04 -0800, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>JXStern <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Is it available on video cameras with a longer duration? I'd like to
>> use it for some semi-surveillance kinds of apps (birds and bugs,
>> actually). A video camera with a few gig of flash memory and this
>> capability might be ideal.

>Try a web cam.

good idea, especially the wireless variety, but it doesn't give me an
excuse to go buy a new toy! well, I guess it is a new toy itself for
me, and I'm overdue for that, too, but I prefer the more portable.

J.

MarkČ

JXStern wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new digital camera, would like to have the
> "time lapse" feature that shoots one frame every couple of seconds, or
> thereabouts. I've seen it on some still cameras with a rather short
> time limit - hour or so. Are there any still cameras that do it
> better?
>
> Is it available on video cameras with a longer duration? I'd like to
> use it for some semi-surveillance kinds of apps (birds and bugs,
> actually). A video camera with a few gig of flash memory and this
> capability might be ideal.
>
> If it could be triggered with a motion-sensor, even better!
>
> Getting hard to tell the still cameras from the videos, some of the
> little hybrids look cute, new Canon TX1 looks hot, thanks for any
> advice.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022203canontx1.asp
>
> J.

Just abut all Canon digitals come with software that allows you to do this
while tethered to a computer. I've played around with stop-motion animation
using various Canon DSLRs, but it can be done manually with just about any
digital.

www.pbase.com/markuson

ray

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 03:12:52 +0000, JXStern wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new digital camera, would like to have the
> "time lapse" feature that shoots one frame every couple of seconds, or
> thereabouts. I've seen it on some still cameras with a rather short
> time limit - hour or so. Are there any still cameras that do it
> better?
>
> Is it available on video cameras with a longer duration? I'd like to
> use it for some semi-surveillance kinds of apps (birds and bugs,
> actually). A video camera with a few gig of flash memory and this
> capability might be ideal.
>
> If it could be triggered with a motion-sensor, even better!
>
> Getting hard to tell the still cameras from the videos, some of the
> little hybrids look cute, new Canon TX1 looks hot, thanks for any
> advice.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022203canontx1.asp
>
> J.

Kodak P850 does up to 99 shots at intervals from 10 seconds to 24 hours.