Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > 70-305 question

70-305 question

valko

Hi guys,

In Microsoft's Training Kit MCAD/MCSD "Developing Web Applications" p.641 we
see:

OutputCache's Location attribute "Any" is equivalent to HttpCachePolicy's
SetCacheability member "HttpCacheability.Server"

and it is Default for asp.net

but in MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp
for member "HttpCacheability.Server" we see:

Server Specifies that the response is cached only at the origin
server. Similar to the NoCache option. Clients receive a Cache-Control:
no-cache directive but the document is cached on the origin server.

and also for Default we seerivate Default value. Sets Cache-Control:
private to specify that the response is cacheable only on the client and not
by shared (proxy server) caches.

and in some exam tests I have I see that "Any" = ""HttpCacheability.Public"
?!?

I will go to exam in Wednesday and will highly appreciate any suggestions
and help )

thank you

cheers
Valko

Daniel Joskovski

See answers in line

Regards,
Daniel

"valko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#zYPw#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> In Microsoft's Training Kit MCAD/MCSD "Developing Web Applications" p.641

we
> see:
>
> OutputCache's Location attribute "Any" is equivalent to HttpCachePolicy's
> SetCacheability member "HttpCacheability.Server"

Not correct default is Private

> and it is Default for asp.net
>
> but in MSDN

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp
> for member "HttpCacheability.Server" we see:
>
> Server Specifies that the response is cached only at the origin
> server. Similar to the NoCache option. Clients receive a Cache-Control:
> no-cache directive but the document is cached on the origin server.

Correct

> and also for Default we seerivate Default value. Sets Cache-Control:
> private to specify that the response is cacheable only on the client and

not
> by shared (proxy server) caches.

Correct
And can't be equal to Any

> and in some exam tests I have I see that "Any" =

""HttpCacheability.Public"
> ?!?

Correct
Framework 1.0 has only 4 enumerations, which is compatible with HTTP 1.1
No cache, Private, Public and Server
When you have 4 choices instead of 6 is easier to deduce that "Any" =
""HttpCacheability.Public"

> I will go to exam in Wednesday and will highly appreciate any suggestions
> and help )
>
> thank you
>
> cheers
> Valko

Daniel Joskovski

See answers in line

Regards,
Daniel

"valko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#zYPw#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> In Microsoft's Training Kit MCAD/MCSD "Developing Web Applications" p.641

we
> see:
>
> OutputCache's Location attribute "Any" is equivalent to HttpCachePolicy's
> SetCacheability member "HttpCacheability.Server"

Not correct default is Private

> and it is Default for asp.net
>
> but in MSDN

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp
> for member "HttpCacheability.Server" we see:
>
> Server Specifies that the response is cached only at the origin
> server. Similar to the NoCache option. Clients receive a Cache-Control:
> no-cache directive but the document is cached on the origin server.

Correct

> and also for Default we seerivate Default value. Sets Cache-Control:
> private to specify that the response is cacheable only on the client and

not
> by shared (proxy server) caches.

Correct
And can't be equal to Any

> and in some exam tests I have I see that "Any" =

""HttpCacheability.Public"
> ?!?

Correct
Framework 1.0 has only 4 enumerations, which is compatible with HTTP 1.1
No cache, Private, Public and Server
When you have 4 choices instead of 6 is easier to deduce that "Any" =
""HttpCacheability.Public"

> I will go to exam in Wednesday and will highly appreciate any suggestions
> and help )
>
> thank you
>
> cheers
> Valko

valko yotov

Hi Daniel,

thank you for your answer, but according to mentioned MSDN link:

Public Sets Cache-Control: public to specify that the response is
cacheable by clients and shared (proxy) caches.

which id equivalent to "Downstream" not to "Any" - we are talking here not
for version differences 1 to 1.1, but instead for different presentation on
same stuff:

1. You use OutputCache Location page directive declaratively
2. Or you use Response.Cache HttpCachePolicy's SetCacheability during
runtime

which still leaves me not answered what is "Any" = Response.Cache
HttpCachePolicy's SetCacheability?
because according to books I read "Any" means absolutly all - client, proxy
AND host server - I do not see host server option in MSDN article for
HttpCacheability?

cheers
Valko

"Daniel Joskovski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> See answers in line
>
> Regards,
> Daniel
>
> "valko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#zYPw#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > In Microsoft's Training Kit MCAD/MCSD "Developing Web Applications"

p.641
> we
> > see:
> >
> > OutputCache's Location attribute "Any" is equivalent to

HttpCachePolicy's
> > SetCacheability member "HttpCacheability.Server"
> >

> Not correct default is Private
>
> > and it is Default for asp.net
> >
> > but in MSDN

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp
> > for member "HttpCacheability.Server" we see:
> >
> > Server Specifies that the response is cached only at the origin
> > server. Similar to the NoCache option. Clients receive a Cache-Control:
> > no-cache directive but the document is cached on the origin server.
> >

> Correct
> >
> > and also for Default we seerivate Default value. Sets Cache-Control:
> > private to specify that the response is cacheable only on the client and

> not
> > by shared (proxy server) caches.
> >

> Correct
> And can't be equal to Any
>
> > and in some exam tests I have I see that "Any" =

> ""HttpCacheability.Public"
> > ?!?
> >

> Correct
> Framework 1.0 has only 4 enumerations, which is compatible with HTTP 1.1
> No cache, Private, Public and Server
> When you have 4 choices instead of 6 is easier to deduce that "Any" =
> ""HttpCacheability.Public"
>
> > I will go to exam in Wednesday and will highly appreciate any

suggestions
> > and help )
> >
> > thank you
> >
> > cheers
> > Valko

Daniel Joskovski

Hi Valko, I present you part off HTTP 1.1 standard wich explain my opinion
that
any == public

if you are interested you can look at
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/...html#sec14.9.1

but in short

14.9.1 What is Cacheable

By default, a response is cacheable if the requirements of the request
method, request header fields, and the response status indicate that it is
cacheable. Section 13.4 summarizes these defaults for cacheability. The
following Cache-Control response directives allow an origin server to
override the default cacheability of a response:

public
Indicates that the response MAY be cached by any cache, even if it would
normally be non-cacheable or cacheable only within a non- shared cache. (See
also Authorization, section 14.8, for additional details.)

private
Indicates that all or part of the response message is intended for a single
user and MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache. This allows an origin server
to state that the specified parts of the
response are intended for only one user and are not a valid response for
requests by other users. A private (non-shared) cache MAY cache the
response.
Note: This usage of the word private only controls where the response may be
cached, and cannot ensure the privacy of the message content.

no-cache
If the no-cache directive does not specify a field-name, then a cache MUST
NOT use the response to satisfy a subsequent request without successful
revalidation with the origin server. This allows an origin server to prevent
caching even by caches that have been configured to return stale responses
to client requests.
If the no-cache directive does specify one or more field-names, then a cache
MAY use the response to satisfy a subsequent request, subject to any other
restrictions on caching. However, the specified field-name(s) MUST NOT be
sent in the response to a subsequent request without successful revalidation
with the origin server. This allows an origin server to prevent the re-use
of certain header fields in a response, while still allowing caching of the
rest of the response.

Regards,
Daniel

"valko yotov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > > no-cache directive but the document is cached on the origin server.
> > >

> > Correct
> > >
> > > and also for Default we seerivate Default value. Sets Cache-Control:
> > > private to specify that the response is cacheable only on the client

and
> > not
> > > by shared (proxy server) caches.
> > >

> > Correct
> > And can't be equal to Any
> >
> > > and in some exam tests I have I see that "Any" =

> > ""HttpCacheability.Public"
> > > ?!?
> > >

> > Correct
> > Framework 1.0 has only 4 enumerations, which is compatible with HTTP 1.1
> > No cache, Private, Public and Server
> > When you have 4 choices instead of 6 is easier to deduce that "Any" =
> > ""HttpCacheability.Public"
> >
> > > I will go to exam in Wednesday and will highly appreciate any

valko yotov

Hi Daniel,

I agree completely with you, and franlky I do not care much where the cache
actually is (cold beer will be much better ,
but unfortunately for me, I will go tomorrow on exam and MSDN is Microsoft's
opinion on cache, and they have some .NET class called "HttpCacheability"
with member called "Public":

and MS's description of it is:

Sets Cache-Control: public to specify that the response is cacheable
by clients and shared (proxy) caches.

see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp

this is my problem - I do not see host server in MS definition there?

and on exam it counts what MS says, not what standard is

> [...]

> > > "valko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:#zYPw#(E-Mail Removed)...

> > p.641
> > > we

> > HttpCachePolicy's
> > > >
> > > Not correct default is Private

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp

origin

> Cache-Control:
> > > >

> > > Correct

Cache-Control:

> and
> > > not
> > > >

> > > Correct
> > > And can't be equal to Any

> > > ""HttpCacheability.Public"
> > > >

> > > Correct
> > > Framework 1.0 has only 4 enumerations, which is compatible with HTTP

1.1
> > > No cache, Private, Public and Server
> > > When you have 4 choices instead of 6 is easier to deduce that "Any" =

Daniel Joskovski

If you are interesting in such things, don't worry about the exam, I am sure
you will pass.
Good luck
Regards,
Daniel
news:eQJ6$$(E-Mail Removed)...

=

> > > suggestions

valko

thank you Daniel, I pass yesterday with 829 43 questions for 40 minutes, I
do not had nerves to do it slower

good luck

"Daniel Joskovski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OWAj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > > to client requests.
> > > If the no-cache directive does specify one or more field-names, then a

> > cache
> > > MAY use the response to satisfy a subsequent request, subject to any

> other
> > > restrictions on caching. However, the specified field-name(s) MUST NOT

> be
> > > sent in the response to a subsequent request without successful

> > revalidation
> > > with the origin server. This allows an origin server to prevent the

> re-use
> > > of certain header fields in a response, while still allowing caching

of
> > the
> > > rest of the response.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Daniel
> > >
> > > "valko yotov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Daniel Joskovski

Congratulations,
Like I said before, I am not surprised : )
Regards,
Daniel

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...