Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > .Net Basic Question

.Net Basic Question

Sugar

I have a very basic question in .Net.

In .Net we use /reference to let the csc.exe compiler know
that the following assemblies are referenced.

Why can't csc.exe use "the runtime assembly locating
rules" to locate the referenced asseblies? Why should we
specify explicitly ?

I guess javac.exe does "the runtime class locating rules"
of looking into the $CLASSPATH. Why .Net does not do this ?

Someone please clarify.

Thanks,
Sugar.

Daniel Joskovski

Because CSC must to know the names of assemblies in which you put your code
to mix all together.

Regards,
Daniel

"Sugar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:009d01c48acf$c5ac18f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a very basic question in .Net.
>
> In .Net we use /reference to let the csc.exe compiler know
> that the following assemblies are referenced.
>
> Why can't csc.exe use "the runtime assembly locating
> rules" to locate the referenced asseblies? Why should we
> specify explicitly ?
>
> I guess javac.exe does "the runtime class locating rules"
> of looking into the $CLASSPATH. Why .Net does not do this ?
>
> Someone please clarify.
>
> Thanks,
> Sugar.

Hermit Dave

Imagine this.
a person who's been dedicatedly developing projects day after day... hell
lot of assemblies right ? yeah now consider the java scenario you mentioned.
would the complier go nuts trying to load and browse all assembiles plus you
could have same object names with even same namespaces.. (no body's stopping
you) so the complier would get confused on which one you are trying to refer
to.

plus in .net we have to concept of side by side assembilies. ie you can have
multiple versions of the same assembly... so unless the program (your
compiled) knows which one of the many its using it will go bonkers.

thirdly what most people appreciate is a good IDE. the dev evnironment.
every time i use and object or a class with '.' i expect intellisense to
pick the details of that object. imagine that scenarios with dynamic
assembly scan.

maybe that is why java ide's are so good (pun un-intended)

hope this answers the question
--

Regards,

Hermit Dave