Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > FTP client C source code

FTP client C source code

EBG

Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
library implemented in C, complete with source code? I've looked on the
web and as expected are 1000's of offerings, however couldn't find
anything with sources in C and is free. Target platform is Windows (CE
4.2) however will be ported to other proprietary platforms at later
stage.

Cheers,
EBG

Christopher Benson-Manica

EBG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
> library implemented in C

(No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)

(For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
counts.)

Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

http://c-faq.com

Richard Heathfield

Christopher Benson-Manica said:

> EBG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
>> library implemented in C

> (No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
> FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)
>
> (For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
> C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
> counts.)

You could write about 99.5% of it in standard C.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Random832

2006-12-15 <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Christopher Benson-Manica said:
>
>> EBG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
>>> library implemented in C

>> (No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
>> FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)
>>
>> (For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
>> C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
>> counts.)

> You could write about 99.5% of it in standard C.

99.9 - you'd really only need one non-standard-implementable function
for passive ftp.

FILE *tcpopen(const char *host, unsigned short port, const char *mode);

Roland Pibinger

On 14 Dec 2006 18:07:32 -0800, "EBG" wrote:
>Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
>library implemented in C, complete with source code? I've looked on the
>web and as expected are 1000's of offerings, however couldn't find
>anything with sources in C and is free.

Have you looked here http://www.koders.com/ or here
http://www.krugle.com/ ?

Roberto Waltman

"EBG" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>...t does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
>library implemented in C, complete with source code? I've looked on the
>web and as expected are 1000's of offerings, however couldn't find
>anything with sources in C and is free. Target platform is Windows (CE
>4.2) however will be ported to other proprietary platforms at later
>stage.

ftplib: http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/ftplib/

Dave Thompson

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:08:08 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Benson-Manica
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> EBG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
> > library implemented in C

> (No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
> FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)

Well, there's no _guaranteed_ way to get at TCP/IP comms, but they
could be accessible through stdio. In fact, they often are for
_servers_ run from inetd or similar. It would be rather constraining
for a library to rely on this however.

It is certainly possible to build commands and parse responses, and do
a reasonable command-line-type UI, in standard C. For a client you
don't strictly need nonblocking or async I/O or multithreading or even
timeouts, none of which are standard, although you can do a rather
better job if you have (some of?) them.

> (For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
> C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
> counts.)

I don't think it works either, unless you use a FTP-scheme URL.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net