Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Books for VB experience instead of cert prep.

Books for VB experience instead of cert prep.

vbguru

Hello Everyone,

I have seen many cert prep recommendations for Mike & Amit's books for
VB & C#.net respv. My question is, are these books also sufficient to
gain experience in those programming languages?

I have programmed in VB3,4,5,6 since 1996. Now, suppose I want to get
a VB.net certification. But my real goal is to gain experience in the
language, passing the exam is secondary. Do I need to first work
through the VB book by Mike, then perhaps Wrox Professional ADO.net.
Or is it better to get a book with .NET projects and work through a
few of them.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

David

Dear VBguru,

To make a long story short, check out MURACH.COM and scroll down until you
see the VB.NET books. I hope this helps and saves you some money.

Good luck.

"vbguru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have seen many cert prep recommendations for Mike & Amit's books for
> VB & C#.net respv. My question is, are these books also sufficient to
> gain experience in those programming languages?
>
> I have programmed in VB3,4,5,6 since 1996. Now, suppose I want to get
> a VB.net certification. But my real goal is to gain experience in the
> language, passing the exam is secondary. Do I need to first work
> through the VB book by Mike, then perhaps Wrox Professional ADO.net.
> Or is it better to get a book with .NET projects and work through a
> few of them.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

These are not books, but MSDN has several sample functional applications
that can be downloaded. There are also related documents describing the
architecture, etc. :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vsintro7/ht
ml/vxorivisualstudiosamples.asp

Specifically, there is a VB.NET and C# version of the Duwamish is an ASP.NET
application:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/dwamish7/ht
ml/vtoriDuwamish70Overview.asp

WKidd

"vbguru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have seen many cert prep recommendations for Mike & Amit's books for
> VB & C#.net respv. My question is, are these books also sufficient to
> gain experience in those programming languages?
>
> I have programmed in VB3,4,5,6 since 1996. Now, suppose I want to get
> a VB.net certification. But my real goal is to gain experience in the
> language, passing the exam is secondary. Do I need to first work
> through the VB book by Mike, then perhaps Wrox Professional ADO.net.
> Or is it better to get a book with .NET projects and work through a
> few of them.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Eric

David wrote:

> To make a long story short, check out MURACH.COM and scroll down
> until you see the VB.NET books. I hope this helps and saves you some
> money.

People either love Murach books, or hate them. I can understand the
reasons for both.

He tries to over-simplify sometimes without thouroughly explaining the
subject, but this can make it easier for newbies to get started.

His "theory on one page, and exercise on facing page" approach isn't
well suited for subjects that can't be explained on a single page. You
end up changing pages back and forth to try to understand the subject.

I don't know if the Murach books are a good way to study for
certification...

To be fair, some people love these books.

Eric

Eric

vbguru wrote:

> language, passing the exam is secondary. Do I need to first work
> through the VB book by Mike, then perhaps Wrox Professional ADO.net.
> Or is it better to get a book with .NET projects and work through a
> few of them.

Mike's book IS a book of small projects with step-by-step instructions
and lots of explanations. You can't do better than that for learning,
even without certification.

Eric