Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Urgently required

Urgently required

businessjoint

Hai,
We are now recruiting some candidates to fill some vacancies
immediately. To apply, please visit our website www.businessjoint.net
and click on 'opportunities' page.
Good Luck
K. Fiaz Ahmed
President & CEO
FN Associates
Dammam, Saudi Arabia

Mik0b0

Is there spam moderation on this forum?

Richard Bos

"Mik0b0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there spam moderation on this forum?

What "forum"? Perhaps a bit of reading up on the way Usenet (yes, you
are posting to Usenet, not to Google(TM) Forums(TM)) works is in order.

Richard

Christopher Benson-Manica

Mik0b0 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there spam moderation on this forum?

To elaborate on Richard's answer: No. If you want moderation, you
want comp.lang.c.moderated or a better newsreader.

Keith Thompson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) writes:
> "Mik0b0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there spam moderation on this forum?

> What "forum"? Perhaps a bit of reading up on the way Usenet (yes, you
> are posting to Usenet, not to Google(TM) Forums(TM)) works is in order.

The term "forum" is generic term for a place for discussion; this
newsgroup certainly qualifies. The term "newsgroup" is more precise,
but not particularly more accurate. (And it's called Google Groups,
not Google Forums.)

The answer to the original question is basically no. This is an
unmoderated newsgroup. There is no central authority. Multiple
servers all over the world share articles, and automatically forward
them to each other. Some individual servers may do some spam
filtering (so many readers may not have seen the original spam), but
there's no central filtering -- and no central anything else.

If you see spam in this newsgroup, it's best to simply ignore it. You
can report the spammer to his/her ISP if you like, but most likely
someone else has already done so -- and headers are often forged, so
it can be difficult to tell who the ISP is. Posting a followup to a
spam is not useful; the spammer will never see your followup, and it
merely reduces the signal/noise ratio.

Richard Bos

Christopher Benson-Manica <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mik0b0 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Is there spam moderation on this forum?

> To elaborate on Richard's answer: No. If you want moderation, you
> want comp.lang.c.moderated or a better newsreader.

s/better//. Google Groups is not a newsreader. It's a half-hearted web
forum interface tacked onto a news _server_.

Richard

Richard Bos

> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) writes:
> > "Mik0b0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Is there spam moderation on this forum?

> > What "forum"? Perhaps a bit of reading up on the way Usenet (yes, you
> > are posting to Usenet, not to Google(TM) Forums(TM)) works is in order.

> The term "forum" is generic term for a place for discussion; this
> newsgroup certainly qualifies.

True in the dictionary sense, but when a newbie talks of a forum, the
odds are greatly in favour of that newbie mistaking a newsgroup for a
web forum, rather than that newbie being aware of the name of an ancient
Roman marketplace. Especially if said newbie comes from Google Groups.
Therefore...

> The term "newsgroup" is more precise, but not particularly more accurate.

....it is, because in this context "forum" is an abbreviated term for a
web forum, not for the general kind. IME, anyway.

> (And it's called Google Groups, not Google Forums.)

It's also not generally written with two (TM) signs. I know.

Richard