Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > ORM resources necessary for 70-300

ORM resources necessary for 70-300

TomTom

I am preparing for the exam 70-300 and looking for a good book/web sites
that explains ORM. I read Professional UML with Visual Studio .NET from
Wrox, but this does not cover ORM much.

If you know resources, can you let me know?

UAError

"TomTom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am preparing for the exam 70-300 and looking for a good book/web sites
>that explains ORM. I read Professional UML with Visual Studio .NET from
>Wrox, but this does not cover ORM much.
>
>If you know resources, can you let me know?

The only "proper" ORM (book) resource is

Information Modeling and Relational Databases
by Terry Halpin
Paperback: 792 pages
Morgan Kaufmann; (April 6, 2001)
ISBN: 1558606726
http://books.elsevier.com/us//mk/us/...=&community=mk

It has plenty of exercises (half of which you can get the
answers to) - but in general it is much more in depth than
what is required on 70-300. It also has the unfortunate
habit of using terms before they are defined in detail (and
leaving them out of the glossary entirely).

http://books.elsevier.com/companions...answersodd.pdf

You can find a chapter of the book
http://books.elsevier.com/us/booksca...1558606726.pdf
which covers the first three of seven steps of the
Conceptual Schema Design Procedure (CSDP).

There is also the introductory paper from Terry Halpin on
the MSDN. Unfortunately is reads like it was written by
someone who is way too familiar with the topic and is making
way to many assumptions (Terry Halpin should have left the
job of writing that paper to one of his graduate students
who just "got it").

Object Role Modeling: An Overview
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rmoverview.asp

If you are "swift" enough, the overview plus the sample
chapter may be enough to get you by with the toy examples on
70-300 - if you intend to use it, read the entire book (at
least the first 10 chapters).

Don't forget the offical site
www.orm.net

You may also be interested in the (outdated) VisioModeler
which is available for download (and could be used for
practice):

Visio 2000 Tool: VisioModeler (Unsupported Product Edition)
MSVM31.EXE

The ORM Chapter in the Cornish ExamCram is a real weak spot
of the guide. I was left with the impression that the author
of that chapter was trying to make sense of ORM in terms of
Entity Relationship Modeling - if you do that you are
missing the point of ORM and that is certainly not the way
to arrive at a sound conceptual design.

Also ORM may have certain advantages to UML but it still is
highly data-oriented and as such not the be-all and end-all
when it comes to Object Oriented Design. (The inclusion of
the word Object in ORM is a bit of a conceit IMO).

This would probably be more appropriate:

Domain-Driven Design
by Eric Evans
Hardcover: 576 pages
Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (August 22, 2003)
ISBN: 0321125215
http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321125215

Unfortunately this has very little to do with 70-300...

>I am preparing for the exam 70-300 and looking for a good book/web sites
>that explains ORM. I read Professional UML with Visual Studio .NET from
>Wrox, but this does not cover ORM much.
>
>If you know resources, can you let me know?

strange as it may seem, a great starting point is: -

www.orm.net
www.objectrolemodeling.com
etc,etc,etc

the book the orm site promotes 'database modeling with microsoft visio
for architects' is quite good btw.

For the exam, you don't need a great deal of understanding. However we
began to adopt orm in the mid 90's, and I for one highly recommend
it's inclusion within any object oriented process model.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

>The only "proper" ORM (book) resource is
>
>Information Modeling and Relational Databases

strange.

I guess this why the industry still seems to be stuck in the batch
oriented processing world of the 70's and 80's. I just can't
understand why so many companies fail to grasp the concepts of oo when
in reality their business' are built with 'objects' and interacts with
'objects' every second - oo is just so natural and easy to
understand....

>Unfortunately this has very little to do with 70-300...

agreed.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

TomTom

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll start with the free one (orm.net)

"UAError" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> of that chapter was trying to make sense of ORM in terms of
> Entity Relationship Modeling - if you do that you are
> missing the point of ORM and that is certainly not the way
> to arrive at a sound conceptual design.
>
> Also ORM may have certain advantages to UML but it still is
> highly data-oriented and as such not the be-all and end-all
> when it comes to Object Oriented Design. (The inclusion of
> the word Object in ORM is a bit of a conceit IMO).
>
> This would probably be more appropriate:
>
> Domain-Driven Design
> by Eric Evans
> Hardcover: 576 pages
> Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (August 22, 2003)
> ISBN: 0321125215
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321125215
> http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321125215
>
> Unfortunately this has very little to do with 70-300...

Why is Information Modeling and Relational Databases not good? Amazon
reviewer seem to like it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >The only "proper" ORM (book) resource is
> >
> >Information Modeling and Relational Databases

> strange.
>
> I guess this why the industry still seems to be stuck in the batch
> oriented processing world of the 70's and 80's. I just can't
> understand why so many companies fail to grasp the concepts of oo when
> in reality their business' are built with 'objects' and interacts with
> 'objects' every second - oo is just so natural and easy to
> understand....
>
> >Unfortunately this has very little to do with 70-300...

> agreed.
>
> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

I would also strongly recommend looking at the other resources that
UAError recommended.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:20:42 -0700, "TomTom"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>> missing the point of ORM and that is certainly not the way
>> to arrive at a sound conceptual design.
>>
>> Also ORM may have certain advantages to UML but it still is
>> highly data-oriented and as such not the be-all and end-all
>> when it comes to Object Oriented Design. (The inclusion of
>> the word Object in ORM is a bit of a conceit IMO).
>>
>> This would probably be more appropriate:
>>
>> Domain-Driven Design
>> by Eric Evans
>> Hardcover: 576 pages
>> Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (August 22, 2003)
>> ISBN: 0321125215
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321125215
>> http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321125215
>>
>> Unfortunately this has very little to do with 70-300...

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

>Why is Information Modeling and Relational Databases not good? Amazon

never said it was 'not good'.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

py2app question: Resources/Python -> Resources/lib/python2.4 Russell E. Owen Python 0 09-08-2006 08:08 PM
modeling--DAO vs ORM Tom Java 1 01-14-2006 07:41 AM
ORM Chris Kennedy MCSD 0 09-06-2005 03:09 AM
Dejavu 1.3, a Python ORM Robert Brewer Python 0 01-21-2005 07:08 AM
Dejavu 1.2.6, a Python ORM Robert Brewer Python 0 12-16-2004 12:09 AM

Advertisments