Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Need to choose a free compiler

Need to choose a free compiler

CBFalconer

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You don't need an IDE. Just use ALT-tab to switch between a
>> command window (to compile, run etc) and an editor.

> Alt tab doesn't do anything especially useful on my compiler box,
> other than switch away from the ssh session I'm using to look at
> it....
>
>> Mount 4dos to make the command window responsive, and use aliases.

> [mark@thelinux ~]# mount 4dos
> mount: can't find 4dos in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
> [mark@thelinux ~]#
>
> (I reckon we should try to avoid answering offtopic questions, no?)

The OP clearly stated he was using DJGPP, where that advice
applies. Regardless, the advice to avoid an IDE applies. You can
use whatever switches between terminals on your box.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Neil

Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
> santosh wrote:
> > Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
> > > Hi,,
> > >
> > > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

> > It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
> > as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

> Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great
>
> I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

if you like, try "PROGRAMMERS NOTEPAD". It's easy to setup with any
compiler or language. With C and C++ , it outlines all your blocks with
a tree view in your program. It's great for learning too, cause it will
teach where the braces are suppose to go, or if you missed one in a
nested for loop or while etc...

It's the one IDE I would reccommend to anyone using a free compiler.

Neil.

Nirjhar Oberoi

Neil wrote:
> Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
> > santosh wrote:

> > > It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
> > > as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

> > Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great
> >
> > I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

> if you like, try "PROGRAMMERS NOTEPAD". It's easy to setup with any
> compiler or language. With C and C++ , it outlines all your blocks with
> a tree view in your program. It's great for learning too, cause it will
> teach where the braces are suppose to go, or if you missed one in a
> nested for loop or while etc...
>
> It's the one IDE I would reccommend to anyone using a free compiler.
>
> Neil.

Thank to all you great guyz....

You been a great help...

d3x0xr

There are several viable compilers to choose from

Digital Mars has a C compiler, couldn't get it to compile right...

LCC Win32 is a good solid lightweight compiler that is quick to generate
code, it's got an IDE with it.

Open watcom (www.openwatcom.org) is the watcom compiler released into
public domain, supposed to support compiling (corss compiling) for linux
also. Also has an IDE with it.

Borland has a free version of it's 5.5 compiler available no IDE,
command line only.

And of course, GCC. but for windows, GCC is not really an option,
cygwin is the most robust environment, but without special tweaks your
programs will be 1/4 the speed they should be.

Nirjhar Oberoi:
> Hi,,
>
> Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...
>
> Thankyou!

santosh

d3x0xr wrote:
> Nirjhar Oberoi:
> > Hi,,
> >
> > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

<snip>
> There are several viable compilers to choose from

<snip>
> And of course, GCC. but for windows, GCC is not really an option, [...]

This is why off-topic answers to off-topic questions are not such a
bright idea.

What makes you say that gcc "is not really an option" for Windows?
AFAICT, MinGW is an excellent port of gcc and associated infrastructure
to Windows. In my experience, it emits better code than some of the
other compilers you've mentioned.

> cygwin is the most robust environment, but without special tweaks your
> programs will be 1/4 the speed they should be.

The "special tweak" is to shelve Cygwin and use MinGW, unless you need
a full UNIX like environment, (even here, mSYS of MinGW distribution
comes close).

<OT>
The poor speed of Cygwin is due to POSIX emulation done by cygwin.dll
to support programs targeted for UNIX. MinGW, however, uses the native
Windows API and hence programs compiled with it are faster.
</OT>

Tom St Denis

d3x0xr wrote:
> LCC Win32 is a good solid lightweight compiler that is quick to generate
> code, it's got an IDE with it.

LCC Win32 is decent but the optimizer sucks and his language extensions
are a bit goofy.

> Open watcom (www.openwatcom.org) is the watcom compiler released into
> public domain, supposed to support compiling (corss compiling) for linux
> also. Also has an IDE with it.

Unless they added a lot to it I doubt it can out optimize GCC. Watcom
was the compiler of choice for x86 back in the day, mostly because the
competition was Turbo C. But GCC has a come a long way since then. It
was ousted even with heavyweights like ID Software who moved from
Watcom to DJGPP for Quake1.

> Borland has a free version of it's 5.5 compiler available no IDE,
> command line only.

Borland IDE suck bad. Visual Studio is a lot better and if I had to
get stuck between the two I'd side with MSFT. Both compilers though
suck fairly bad. (well newer msvc's are better but they're still far
from C99)

> And of course, GCC. but for windows, GCC is not really an option,
> cygwin is the most robust environment, but without special tweaks your
> programs will be 1/4 the speed they should be.

use the -mno-cygwin option, boom faster. As another poster pointed out
Cygwin is meant for UNIX emulation on windows. If you are writing a
windows application just toss -mno-cygwin in your CFLAGS and be done
with.

GCC can often out optimize most professional compilers, it's closer to
C99 then Borland, MSVC, LCC, actively maintained and best of all it's
free software.

Tom

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Tom
St Denis <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>GCC can often out optimize most professional compilers, i

Completely un-true. It is not too bad on 32 bit systems but not so good
on 16bit and way out of 8 bit.

>t's closer to
>C99 then Borland, MSVC, LCC,

Gcc is no more C99 than most other compilers.

For PC use there are always the free MS Visual * Express compilers.
Though it pains me to say so they are probably the best bet for PC
development. It depends what you are targeting.

/\/\/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\