Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Lib? information about the header files.

Lib? information about the header files.

Bert

Hello,

Where can I find good information about who to interpret information from
headers of liberaries?

Thanks a lot.

Chris Johnson

Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where can I find good information about who to interpret information from
> headers of liberaries?

I don't usually find reading header files to be terribly profitable. At
least not if there is better/more complete documentation to be found.
Usually the distributors of libraries provide documentation, which is
almost always readily accessible via a Google search.

If you're using Unix, some come with man pages or info docs.

Bert

But is it not essential that you know you to get information from there?
>> Where can I find good information about who to interpret information from
>> headers of liberaries?

> I don't usually find reading header files to be terribly profitable. At
> least not if there is better/more complete documentation to be found.
> Usually the distributors of libraries provide documentation, which is
> almost always readily accessible via a Google search.
>
> If you're using Unix, some come with man pages or info docs.

"Chris Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

Bert wrote:
> But is it not essential that you know you to get information from there?

While self-knowledge is certainly something to aspire to, I suspect
Google works just as well for those that have not acheived it as for
those that have. (Also, please don't top post.)

Al Balmer

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:04:57 +0200, "Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But is it not essential that you know you to get information from there?

From where? What are you talking about?
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Bert

"Al Balmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:04:57 +0200, "Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>But is it not essential that you know you to get information from there?

> From where? What are you talking about?
> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Thanks for your information but I just new.

Now the problem is that I started programming with modula2 and their you
read the header (they call defenition files) and then with some knowledge of
the language then you write very quickly program's.
But know I will like to study c/c++ I can't get out information from the
headers.

Thanks.

> --
> Al Balmer
> Sun City, AZ

Al Balmer

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:07:29 +0200, "Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Al Balmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:04:57 +0200, "Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>But is it not essential that you know you to get information from there?

>> From where? What are you talking about?
>> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

>Thanks for your information but I just new.
>
>Now the problem is that I started programming with modula2 and their you
>read the header (they call defenition files) and then with some knowledge of
>the language then you write very quickly program's.
>But know I will like to study c/c++ I can't get out information from the
>headers.

That depends on who wrote the headers, and what their intended use is.
If you're referring to the header files that come with a typical C
implementation, Chris is probably right - they aren't very useful.
They are usually complex, concentrate entirely on getting the job done
rather than explaining how it's done, and the implementation's
documentation should be much more useful.

However, when you are writing your own library code, many people
(including me) look on the header files as the place to document the
usage of the library functions. Ideally, the user shouldn't have to
worry about the actual implementation of your library functions. He
only needs the prototypes and sufficient information to use them.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

CBFalconer

Bert wrote:

.... snip ...

> Now the problem is that I started programming with modula2 and
> their you read the header (they call defenition files) and then
> with some knowledge of the language then you write very quickly
> program's. But know I will like to study c/c++ I can't get out
> information from the headers.

If the headers are well written you can. They should describe the
purpose and action of the routines they declare.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Bert

"CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bert wrote:
>>

> ... snip ...
>>
>> Now the problem is that I started programming with modula2 and
>> their you read the header (they call defenition files) and then
>> with some knowledge of the language then you write very quickly
>> program's. But know I will like to study c/c++ I can't get out
>> information from the headers.

> If the headers are well written you can. They should describe the
> purpose and action of the routines they declare.

> Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Oké thanks for helping.