Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > MCFD and Mainframes

MCFD and Mainframes

Dinosaur Eric

Hi Everyone,

I am a mainframe programmer (yes, we do exist!) that
needs to upgrade my skills to keep current with the ever
changing world. I thought the best route would be is to
get certified and get my MCSD.

The problem I am having is that I don't know where to
really start. I've tinkered with VB.net a bit by reading
through one of those Learn VB.net in 24 hours books and
have a very basic understanding of VB.net.

Question to anyone out there is...given my scenario, what
books or courses would you suggest is the best place to
start in terms of what to learn first before diving into
the MCSD program? Any good recommendations for books or
online courses or CBTs?

Thanks for any recommendations you may be able to give me.
Eric

Dinosaur Eric

I have heard that it is best to get my MCAD first and
that MCSD is only two exams away from that?

You can download 180 trail versions of Visual Studio.NET and SQL Server to
cut your teeth on. There are a lot of tutorials on the web; just search on
yahoo.com for "tutorial and asp.net". Also, browse the *.dotnet.*
newsgroups.

"Dinosaur Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:67ff01c4757b$b31ebda0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am a mainframe programmer (yes, we do exist!) that
> needs to upgrade my skills to keep current with the ever
> changing world. I thought the best route would be is to
> get certified and get my MCSD.
>
> The problem I am having is that I don't know where to
> really start. I've tinkered with VB.net a bit by reading
> through one of those Learn VB.net in 24 hours books and
> have a very basic understanding of VB.net.
>
> Question to anyone out there is...given my scenario, what
> books or courses would you suggest is the best place to
> start in terms of what to learn first before diving into
> the MCSD program? Any good recommendations for books or
> online courses or CBTs?
>
> Thanks for any recommendations you may be able to give me.
> Eric

Eric

Dinosaur Eric wrote:

> I am a mainframe programmer (yes, we do exist!) that
> needs to upgrade my skills to keep current with the ever
> changing world. I thought the best route would be is to
> get certified and get my MCSD.

Hi Eric. I used to be a "dinosaur Eric", too! I did COBOL on both
mainframes and PC's, then Unix and C, then Delphi, and now .NET.

Depnding on how many years of experience you have, it might be wise to
shoot for C# first. Most of the senior positions seem to prefer C# over
VB.NET.

I'm not against VB.NET - my son does that. But I like to target my
skills for the particular jobs I'm interested in.

The demo version of Visual Studio 2003 is a great place to start.
You'll also need SQL Server 2000 (it has a demo, too).

Don't try the beta for VS2005 because it's quite different, and a
little buggy. Also, don't pay for Visual Studio 2003 right now. The
final version of VS 2005 is coming next year, so save your money for
that.

MS sells student versions of VS 2003 for about $100 if you know anyone
taking college classes.

I recommend the C# blue Training Guides by Amit Kalani. They assume you
don't know anything to begin with. http://www.techcontent.com

I'd start with the 70-316 Windows Forms test. It's a good place to
start if you don't have a background in Web development - there's not
much web-specific stuff in this test.

Eric

Cindy Winegarden

Hi Eric,

MCAD is a subset of MCSD. Depending on what order you took the exams in you
would achieve MCAD status on the way to becoming an MCSD. See
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/default.asp and
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...entsdotnet.asp for more
details.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.cindywinegarden.com

"Dinosaur Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:684601c4757f$89567ea0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have heard that it is best to get my MCAD first and
> that MCSD is only two exams away from that?

>You can download 180 trail versions of Visual Studio.NET

now that's just being greedy!

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3