Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Computer Language Popularity Trend

Computer Language Popularity Trend

kwikius

> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.

What a pile of crud.

keep whacking the mole buddy!

regards
Andy Little

jmcgill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?

It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

Of course, that's not a sound research method.

Randy Webb

jmcgill said the following on 9/27/2006 1:31 PM:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
>> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
>> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
>> popularity trends.

> This would make a lot more sense if it included
> comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

Yeah, everybody knows that Java is a programming language and Javascript
isn't, right?

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Christopher Benson-Manica

In comp.lang.c jmcgill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
> was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

Only because (I presume) you haven't seen Xah Lee's drivel posted
previously. The charm wears thin rather quickly.

IchBin

Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
> In comp.lang.c jmcgill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
>> was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

> Only because (I presume) you haven't seen Xah Lee's drivel posted
> previously. The charm wears thin rather quickly.

Boy, I never knew he posted his STUFF in the PHP newsgroups. He has a
bad reputation in the Java newsgroups because of his, what would you
call it, megalomaniacal view.. Guess he likes to be ignored in more than
one language group.

--
Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

=?UTF-8?B?Ik5pbHMgTy4gU2Vsw6VzZGFsIg==?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.

I think it does not.

Among e.g. Lisp programmers, there seems to be a very high percentage
of developers that participates in online discussions on newsgroup
and mailing lists compared to e.g. C programmers.

The demographic of developers using certain languages vary way
too much to justify drawing any sensible conclution based on newsgroup
traffic.

Ancient_Hacker

Or one might deduce that the higher the curve, the more likely the
languge really sucks, and more people need lots of help and discussion
of really basic things.

For example, a good 25% of the "C" related discussions seem to be about
forgetting to allocate memoiry for a char * variable. Another 20%
regarding forgetting to read the ending "\n" with scanf().

Another 25% regarding seg faults due to the many ways of getting these
in C if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

gregarican

The graphs remind me of the Staples TV commercial that shows in the
U.S. To save money the office drone has a cat sitting there
paw-painting his presentation pie charts. Oy...

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.
>
> http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html
>
> Xah
> (E-Mail Removed)
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/

Alex Buell

On 26 Sep 2006 20:05:00 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of (E-Mail Removed):

> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
> popularity trends.

Folks, just kf him and have done with it.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

You've been eating the cat food again, haven't you?