Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Two instances of Windows XP

Two instances of Windows XP

Ozemail News

I am having a problem on the start up of my Windows XP Professional and I
would appreciate any help from the experts out there, please.
With a very slow performance in my computer, I was recently notified, by my
Internet Provider, that I was sending heaps of SPAMs and I was blocked
because of that illegal practice. Since I did not know anything about it, I
assumed that some very good hacker bypassed my PCCillin, firewall,
"anti-everything" programmes, etc, and took control of my machine.
Congratulations! I tried many procedures and scans, including Sysclean,
recommended by Trendmicro, but nothing worked. In desperation, I
re-formatted my C Partition and re-installed Windows XP Professional, not
without a big fight, because it would not update without SP2, neither the
PCCilin would install too, and I could not download from the Internet
without being attacked by viruses that would not allow me to download
anything. A Catch 22 situation.
Once overcome those problems, I found 2 instances of Windows XP in the
machine, a normal one in Partition C and another one in Partition D, and I
didn't know why. I then tried to uninstall the latter, but it would not do
it and finally I deleted it. Now, when I start the computer, it keeps
looking for the second instance of Windows on Partition D and only when I
press Enter it continues the Windows loading. Please, does anyone know how,
and where in Registry, I could fix this problem? I would be much
appreciated.

Pen

Ozemail News wrote:
> I am having a problem on the start up of my Windows XP Professional and I
> would appreciate any help from the experts out there, please.
> With a very slow performance in my computer, I was recently notified, by my
> Internet Provider, that I was sending heaps of SPAMs and I was blocked
> because of that illegal practice. Since I did not know anything about it, I
> assumed that some very good hacker bypassed my PCCillin, firewall,
> "anti-everything" programmes, etc, and took control of my machine.
> Congratulations! I tried many procedures and scans, including Sysclean,
> recommended by Trendmicro, but nothing worked. In desperation, I
> re-formatted my C Partition and re-installed Windows XP Professional, not
> without a big fight, because it would not update without SP2, neither the
> PCCilin would install too, and I could not download from the Internet
> without being attacked by viruses that would not allow me to download
> anything. A Catch 22 situation.
> Once overcome those problems, I found 2 instances of Windows XP in the
> machine, a normal one in Partition C and another one in Partition D, and I
> didn't know why. I then tried to uninstall the latter, but it would not do
> it and finally I deleted it. Now, when I start the computer, it keeps
> looking for the second instance of Windows on Partition D and only when I
> press Enter it continues the Windows loading. Please, does anyone know how,
> and where in Registry, I could fix this problem? I would be much
> appreciated.

Edit the boot.ini file found in c:\ . It should look similar to this.
Edit yours to remove the 2nd instance.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
/FASTDETECT

Mr. Arnold

Ozemail News wrote:
> I am having a problem on the start up of my Windows XP Professional and I
> would appreciate any help from the experts out there, please.
> With a very slow performance in my computer, I was recently notified, by my
> Internet Provider, that I was sending heaps of SPAMs and I was blocked
> because of that illegal practice. Since I did not know anything about it, I
> assumed that some very good hacker bypassed my PCCillin, firewall,
> "anti-everything" programmes, etc, and took control of my machine.
> Congratulations! I tried many procedures and scans, including Sysclean,
> recommended by Trendmicro, but nothing worked. In desperation, I
> re-formatted my C Partition and re-installed Windows XP Professional, not
> without a big fight, because it would not update without SP2, neither the
> PCCilin would install too, and I could not download from the Internet
> without being attacked by viruses that would not allow me to download
> anything. A Catch 22 situation.
> Once overcome those problems, I found 2 instances of Windows XP in the
> machine, a normal one in Partition C and another one in Partition D, and I
> didn't know why. I then tried to uninstall the latter, but it would not do
> it and finally I deleted it. Now, when I start the computer, it keeps
> looking for the second instance of Windows on Partition D and only when I
> press Enter it continues the Windows loading. Please, does anyone know how,
> and where in Registry, I could fix this problem? I would be much
> appreciated.

Most likely, the boot.ini file has two entries in it. The boot.ini file
is a hidden and protected file that's located in the c:\ or d:\ -- the
root directory. You un-hide the file, un-protect the file and edit it
with notepad and delete the bad entry.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=boot.ini+file+on+windows+xp&btnG=Go ogle+Search>

dicts,instances,containers, slotted instances, et cetera. ocschwar@gmail.com Python 8 01-29-2009 09:52 AM
Two instances of Firefox wps Firefox 2 07-30-2004 12:51 PM
list of class instances within a list of a class instances John Wohlbier Python 2 02-22-2004 08:41 AM
Re: Syncronizing two instances of the same control Hermit Dave ASP .Net 5 01-13-2004 12:32 AM
Syncronizing two instances of same control Aaron Prohaska ASP .Net 0 11-19-2003 09:29 PM

Advertisments