Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Difference b/w storage class and storage class specifier

Difference b/w storage class and storage class specifier

sarathy

Hi,
What is the difference b/w a "storage class" and "storage
class specifier"?
It is said that there,

Storage Class --> automatic static ( K&R )
Storage Class Specifier --> auto extern register static
typedef

What does a specifier mean? I see the name "specifier" also
being used in

type specifier
struct-specifier
union-specifier

etc...

Regards,
Sarathy

Keith Thompson

"sarathy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Hi,
> What is the difference b/w a "storage class" and "storage
> class specifier"?
> It is said that there,
>
> Storage Class --> automatic static ( K&R )
> Storage Class Specifier --> auto extern register static
> typedef

A storage class specifier is one of a set of keywords that can appear
in a C program source. A storage class is what those keywords
specify.

sarathy

Keith Thompson wrote:
> "sarathy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Hi,
> > What is the difference b/w a "storage class" and "storage
> > class specifier"?
> > It is said that there,
> >
> > Storage Class --> automatic static ( K&R )
> > Storage Class Specifier --> auto extern register static
> > typedef

> A storage class specifier is one of a set of keywords that can appear
> in a C program source. A storage class is what those keywords
> specify.
>
> --
> Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

Thanks. I got it now.