Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Exam 70-300 and the Windows Exam 70-306

Exam 70-300 and the Windows Exam 70-306

Chris Kennedy

I have just passed my Web Applications exam and I am starting on the web
services one. Although I want the full MCSD qualification I would like to
know if you actually need Windows Exam 70-306 to pass the 70-300 solution
architecure exam. I work for a web design company and we never use or design
windows based apps. I really want to get up to speed on more object
orientated methodologies ASAP and would rather do 70-300 first and come back
to the Windows Applications exam when I have more time. We are in the
process of introducing .net in our company and I don't think we will get the
full benefit without better methodologies. I currently do specs but don't
have any formal training. I would like to have a few more tools and
approaches. Any thoughts or recommendations? Regards, Chris.

>I have just passed my Web Applications exam and I am starting on the web
>services one. Although I want the full MCSD qualification I would like to
>know if you actually need Windows Exam 70-306 to pass the 70-300 solution
>architecure exam.

one for you Cindy...

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Eric

Chris Kennedy wrote:

> I would like to know if you actually need Windows Exam 70-306 to pass

the
> 70-300 solution architecure exam. I work for a web design company and
> we never use or design windows based apps. I really want to get up to
> speed on more object orientated methodologies

That's hard to answer, but in my mind the 70-300 is for the "big
picture" of designing systems, whereas the 70-305 and 70-306 is more
for designing individual programs using OOP.

I'm guessing you don't need to take these in a certain order, but I'm
the kind of person who likes to start at the individual program unit
level and move up from there.

I wouldn't say it's "wrong" to start looking at it from the system side
first.

Eric

>That's hard to answer, but in my mind the 70-300 is for the "big
>picture" of designing systems,

If developing software was as easy as that exam, we would ALL be out
of a job.

Developing software [correctly] is *many* times harder than that exam
would have you believe. It involves procedures, practices and
techniques not even mentioned in the exam topics.

>whereas the 70-305 and 70-306 is more
>for designing individual programs using OOP.

No, it's only about related dot net technologies; hardly touches on oo
practices.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3