Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Comments are welcome for two sequential search C functions

Comments are welcome for two sequential search C functions

August Karlstrom

Richard Heathfield wrote (in thread "Inflexible array members"):
> Just as I wouldn't criticise my wife for failing to tell me to fasten my
> seatbelt, so I don't criticise my compiler for failing to tell me about
> buffer overruns. Remembering to fasten my seatbelt is /my/ job, and I can
> take care of it myself, but of course someone needs to keep an eye on the
> kids in the back. Avoiding buffer overruns is /my/ job, and I can take care
> of it myself, but of course someone needs to keep an eye on the Java kids
> in the back.

You're not one of those kids in the back, are you?

Sorry for being such a pain in the behind. Just couldn't help myself.

August

Richard Heathfield

August Karlstrom said:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> Ben Bacarisse said:
>>
>>> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> <a very silly bug>
>>
>>> This has one of the worst kinds of UB

>> I know, I know - very embarrassing and all that. Would you believe me if
>> I told you my personal code library doesn't do things that way?
>>

> Richard Heathfield wrote (in thread "Inflexible array members"):

All right, all right! I KNOW! I KNOW!

It was my job to check that the code was correct before I posted it, and I
failed to do that. This is now the third time I have acknowledged the fact.
What do you want, sack-cloth and ashes?

If anything, this little incident does help to show why comp.lang.c is such
a valuable resource. The code reviews are first-class, and nobody is immune
from them. That's a Good Thing, even (or perhaps /especially/) when it
bites a reg.

But can we drop it now, please?

<snip>

> Sorry for being such a pain in the behind. Just couldn't help myself.

Don't worry about it. I'll get you the next time.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999