Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > OT: Good introduction to CPU/Memory terms

OT: Good introduction to CPU/Memory terms

Seeker

When I read about registers, pages in memory, offsets, all that, my
head swings because I don't understand a word. Is there some nice
tutorial that can teach that stuff?

Richard Heathfield

Seeker said:

> When I read about registers, pages in memory, offsets, all that, my
> head swings because I don't understand a word.

Mostly you don't need to know it anyway, not to write C programs.

> Is there some nice tutorial that can teach that stuff?

I don't know of any *nice* ones, in the warm fluffy sense. But "The Art of
Assembly Language" is legally available online for free. It may or may not
be what you're looking for.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Robert Gamble

Seeker wrote:
> When I read about registers, pages in memory, offsets, all that, my
> head swings because I don't understand a word. Is there some nice
> tutorial that can teach that stuff?

www.google.com

Robert Gamble

santosh

Seeker wrote:
> When I read about registers, pages in memory, offsets, all that, my
> head swings because I don't understand a word. Is there some nice
> tutorial that can teach that stuff?

As Richard has mentioned, the 'Art of Assembly Langauge' available at
the URL below does an admirable job of introducing x86, 32 bit,
application oriented assembly programming. It only deals superficially
with Operating System related aspects like Paging etc.

<http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/>

Just Google for the terms that confuse you. Many links have excellent
information. However without some knowledge of Mathematics and Physics,
you're bound to be frustrated.

Skarmander

santosh wrote:
> Seeker wrote:
>> When I read about registers, pages in memory, offsets, all that, my
>> head swings because I don't understand a word. Is there some nice
>> tutorial that can teach that stuff?

> As Richard has mentioned, the 'Art of Assembly Langauge' available at
> the URL below does an admirable job of introducing x86, 32 bit,
> application oriented assembly programming. It only deals superficially
> with Operating System related aspects like Paging etc.
>
> <http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/>
>
> Just Google for the terms that confuse you. Many links have excellent
> information. However without some knowledge of Mathematics and Physics,
> you're bound to be frustrated.

No knowledge of physics is required to understand the concepts he mentioned,
and no more knowledge of mathematics is required than what you learn in
elementary school. The smidgeons of discrete mathematics you'll need that
you probably haven't had in elementary school (boolean algebra, mostly) are
easy to pick up.

To understand the entirety of processor design does require a good deal of
both, but that's probably not what he's asking.

S.

Seeker

Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Mostly you don't need to know it anyway, not to write C
> programs.

That's what the OT was in the topic for

>> Is there some nice tutorial that can teach that stuff?

> I don't know of any *nice* ones, in the warm fluffy sense. But
> "The Art of Assembly Language" is legally available online for
> free. It may or may not be what you're looking for.

It is definitely an interesting read, I've not read it all yet. But
it's specifically targeted at x86. I want something broader; I was
always interested in console emulators (8-16 bit). I've found some
tech docs and I've got the source code for some emulators so i want
to see how they work, but the technical docs describing the system
talk about registers, ports, pages, memory, addressing modes as if
they're well-understood terms. And of course we're not talking about
x86 there.

So I was basically looking for an intro to that stuff that will make
it easier to move from CPU to CPU.

Seeker

"Robert Gamble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> www.google.com

What is this? Is it a "search engine" or something? I keep hearing
about them. They must be catching on. I'm too reluctant to use one
yet though.

Robert Gamble

Seeker wrote:
> "Robert Gamble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
> > www.google.com
> >

> What is this? Is it a "search engine" or something? I keep hearing
> about them. They must be catching on. I'm too reluctant to use one
> yet though.

Apparently.

Robert Gamble

Ian Collins

Seeker wrote:

> So I was basically looking for an intro to that stuff that will make
> it easier to move from CPU to CPU.

google for 8051 programmers manual, it will give you a good introduction
to a venerable and still popular 8 bit micro.

--
Ian Collins.

pete

Seeker wrote:

> "Robert Gamble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
> > www.google.com
> >

> What is this? Is it a "search engine" or something? I keep hearing
> about them. They must be catching on. I'm too reluctant to use one
> yet though.

You may only act like it's your first day on the internet,
for one day.
After that, you turn into a troll.

--
pete