Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network recognition, yet cant see workgroup computers

Network recognition, yet cant see workgroup computers

Ranjan

I had been running win 2000 pro with my wifi XP pro laptop, I wanted to
share my internet connection from desktop which runs internet connected via
Ethernet LAN card.
I inserted the IP address, the subnet, default gate, preferences, alt DNS
server ID's in TCP/IP which enables me to connect to the internet. On the
desktop the internet is running fine.

I shared both computer via administrator accounts using the same workgroups,
190.100.10.1 for desktop 190.100.10.2 for laptop it was working without
internet sharing, this worked fine for few hours, then I shared my internet
& while doing so I had a warning that by default that the IP will be set to
use 192.168.0.1 & i will loose the connectivity, else use the static IP
given by your administrator.

On doing so I got internet sharing but have lost the network sharing, now I
cannot share the 2 computers as it gives me an error "you might not have
permission to use this network resource" which I fail to understand from
where & what permission is it asking when I am signed with administrative
rights on both machines, the guest account on XPpro laptop is also enabled.

Then I tried the following

Click start go to run and type in \\190.100.10.2 did this from both
computers for each other.

Doing so i can see the shared folders on the other computer now, so finally
something works, yet I cannot see the computers in the network. Now I have
made a shared folder on both computers & I send the files to that shared
folder & can see it on both computers, so as of now with this method I am
able to surf the net as well as share the files/ folders but indirect way.

I cannot yet see the 2 computers in the network directly but they are
pinging to each other perfectly.

On both computers I get "workgroup not accessible" error for some reason,
other wise normally I can see desktop on desktop & laptop on laptop under
network neighborhood, where as both the desktop & laptop should be visible
on each other & I should be able to access it.

I am using zyxel G-220 on both computers reviewed here
http://www.slcentral.com/g-220-wireless-usb-stick/

1.I am using the latest driver for zyxel V2.0

2.zonalarm on both computers with IP range mentioned (switching off the
firewall does not solve the problem)

3.avg antivirus on both computers

4. Workgroup is same on both "WORKGROUP"

5. Signed on desktop win 2000 SP4 as "ADMINISTRATOR" NO PASSWORD

6. Signed on laptop XPP SP1 as "RANJAN" with administrative rights, no
password.

7. Guest account disabled on both, enabling them does not help either, yet
the indrect sharing is working,.

8. IP settings
desktop 190.100.10.1
subnet 255.255.255.0

laptop 190.100.10.2
subnet 255.255.255.0

Still scratching my head, will I get some solution........I am hopeful.

Ranjan

philip ashley

i had similar problems then started investigating WEP

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100641.asp

particularly this

'Because of encryption, if the wired network is invisible to the wireless
nodes and or the wireless nodes are invisible to the wired Ethernet network,
it is because by enabling WEP encryption your files are made "private". '

hth

philip ashley

"Ranjan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> I am using zyxel G-220 on both computers reviewed here
> http://www.slcentral.com/g-220-wireless-usb-stick/
>

> 1.I am using the latest driver for zyxel V2.0
>
> 2.zonalarm on both computers with IP range mentioned (switching off the
> firewall does not solve the problem)
>
> 3.avg antivirus on both computers
>
> 4. Workgroup is same on both "WORKGROUP"
>
> 5. Signed on desktop win 2000 SP4 as "ADMINISTRATOR" NO PASSWORD
>
> 6. Signed on laptop XPP SP1 as "RANJAN" with administrative rights, no
> password.
>
> 7. Guest account disabled on both, enabling them does not help either, yet
> the indrect sharing is working,.
>
> 8. IP settings
> desktop 190.100.10.1
> subnet 255.255.255.0
>
> laptop 190.100.10.2
> subnet 255.255.255.0
>

> Still scratching my head, will I get some solution........I am hopeful.

Ranjan

Hi Philips,
This is not the problem in my case as I have disabled WEP, even if I enable
WEP I can access via indirect access, but as usual "workgroup not
accessable" erorrs.
Seems to be that win 2000 & XPP have different ways of granting permission,
which I am not able to resolve.

Ranjan

"philip ashley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4TX1d.399$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > http://www.slcentral.com/g-220-wireless-usb-stick/
> >

> > 1.I am using the latest driver for zyxel V2.0
> >
> > 2.zonalarm on both computers with IP range mentioned (switching off the
> > firewall does not solve the problem)
> >
> > 3.avg antivirus on both computers
> >
> > 4. Workgroup is same on both "WORKGROUP"
> >
> > 5. Signed on desktop win 2000 SP4 as "ADMINISTRATOR" NO PASSWORD
> >
> > 6. Signed on laptop XPP SP1 as "RANJAN" with administrative rights, no
> > password.
> >
> > 7. Guest account disabled on both, enabling them does not help either,

yet
> > the indrect sharing is working,.
> >
> > 8. IP settings
> > desktop 190.100.10.1
> > subnet 255.255.255.0
> >
> > laptop 190.100.10.2
> > subnet 255.255.255.0
> >

> > Still scratching my head, will I get some solution........I am hopeful.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgTUI=?=

Ranjan,

Have identical problem running XP Home. Shared internet access across
wireless network not a problem but devices on LAN not visible to each other
or able to share services. Will try your work around for file sharing.

One difference appears to be that no workgroup services are shown on one of
the PC's I am running. Will carry on trying to resolve and post any progress.

Rgds

Peter

"Ranjan" wrote:

> [...]
>

> I am using zyxel G-220 on both computers reviewed here
> http://www.slcentral.com/g-220-wireless-usb-stick/
>

> 1.I am using the latest driver for zyxel V2.0
>
> 2.zonalarm on both computers with IP range mentioned (switching off the
> firewall does not solve the problem)
>
> 3.avg antivirus on both computers
>
> 4. Workgroup is same on both "WORKGROUP"
>
> 5. Signed on desktop win 2000 SP4 as "ADMINISTRATOR" NO PASSWORD
>
> 6. Signed on laptop XPP SP1 as "RANJAN" with administrative rights, no
> password.
>
> 7. Guest account disabled on both, enabling them does not help either, yet
> the indrect sharing is working,.
>
> 8. IP settings
> desktop 190.100.10.1
> subnet 255.255.255.0
>
> laptop 190.100.10.2
> subnet 255.255.255.0
>

> Still scratching my head, will I get some solution........I am hopeful.

BSOD

I have seen problems of this sort posted in forums all over the
internet. I too have had tremendeous grief with it. After
configuring my network using XP Pro and SP2 on both Dell computers, my
workgroup computers can see each other but the one cannot share it's
files with the other. Strangely enough, the shared printers work
flawlessly. I'll give a quick rundown of the many different solutions
I have read about and tried.

1. The number one issue is a firewall, specifically a third party
firewall. I have seen ZoneAlarm run in the background without being
in the system tray. I also have not reached a conclusion on this one
yet but I think that the presence of some firewalls, specifically
Norton Security, will not allow file sharing, even when it is
disabled.

2. "They" say you must have the same workgroup name. I think mine has
worked with differing workgroup names but it doesn't hurt to make sure
they are the same.

3. "They" say you must have your Guest account enabled. It doesn't
have to be turned on but it should be enabled.

4. "They" say you must have user accounts configured on both computers
with the same username and the same password. I disagree. I had it
working (mysteriously and sporadically) using only one account on each
computer with no login and no password.

5. "They" say you should make sure that you have Simple File Sharing
turned on. This is default and is rarely an issue unless you use your
computer on a Domain type network at work or school and have it
configured for higher security.

6. Try uninstalling your File and Printer Sharing service and then
reinstalling it under your network adapter's properties. This
solution didn't do crap for me but it is listed as a potential fix.
Somebody also recommended trying to install it from your original
Windows XP CD. I have not tried this solution but have little
confidence that it could make any difference.

To date, I have not yet fixed my file sharing problem. I originally
had the network configured with a D-Link DI-514 router but I had lots
of problems with it. If you try using a wireless router as a network
hub (wirelessly or wired) and your intentions are to not share any
internet connection, please stay away from wireless routers. Most of
the cheap ones are designed only for sharing broadband internet
connections and can be hellish to configure otherwise. I am now using
a Netgear 5 port switch and using static IP addressing and things are
fine, all except I cannot share the files on the one computer, even
though it gladly shares it's printers. Good Luck!

Ranjan

Tweak XP a software for tweaking XP was the main culprit which was installed
in the new laptop, as a last resort I uninstalled it & WAO!!!! its working
all fine.

A lesson learnt here is that tweaking utilities do mess up with system
settings.

Thanks all who gave answers.
Ranjan