Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > a question about moving to .net

a question about moving to .net

Jafar

Hi everybody
I already have my MCSD with VB6 and now I want to move
to .net world(specially vb.net) what is the best book out
there for me which won't have easy stuff, I mean what is
the best book for migrating to .net and give a good
knowloedge of .net architecture.
thanx alot

RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

I confess to having enjoyed the Sams book "Teach Yourself Visual Studio .Net
in 21 days." Yup, there were a lot of simple lessons and all that, but it
was fairly decent and to the point.

--
RL (do I know what I'm doing?) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
NorthEast Ohio

"Jafar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:133f701c443ab$ce29efe0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everybody
> I already have my MCSD with VB6 and now I want to move
> to .net world(specially vb.net) what is the best book out
> there for me which won't have easy stuff, I mean what is
> the best book for migrating to .net and give a good
> knowloedge of .net architecture.
> thanx alot

Larry

For one thing, it depends on whether your objectve is to
get a .NET certification or whether you're just trying to
get up to speed. There's a lot of dialoge in this
newsgroup on the relative merits of the different study
guides (Microsoft, Exam Cram, etc.). You'll probably
want to work with some of those if you a cert is your
objective but otherwise, save your money.

I liked "Visual Basic .NET and the .NET Platform" by
Andrew Troelsen (Apress). It's geared toward people who
already have some background, particularly VB people. I
felt it gave me a good grounding in some of the
fundamentals of how things are implemented in the .NET
framework. It, however, does not delve very throroughly
into major areas like ADO.NET and ASP.NET, which is what
I imagine a lot of people really want to know about.

Otherwise, I haven't found anything that really seems to
offer much insight beyond what I can get from looking at
MSDN. When I come accross something that I can't figure
out, I often stop in at Border's and look through all
those .NET books (seems like there's about twice as many
every time I go there.) I'll read what they have to say
on some topic, wade through reams of sample code and lame
pendaticism, and realize that the authors haven't really
figured anything out that you can't get from MSDN. I'm
not saying they are bad, but most computer books have a
way of wasting your time just as badly as your money.

You can always look at the reviews on Amazon.com. They
can be helpful.

One thing I thought was useful is a free download from
MSDN called "101 VB.NET Samples". Just small, concise
sample VB.NET projects that address some of the things
you might need to do.

HTH

very true.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3