Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > UNIX header files to Windows header files

UNIX header files to Windows header files

anand.ba@gmail.com

Hi,

I need to port some C code from UNIX SGI to Windows (MS VC++ compiler).
The following header files arent available in windows:
#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/socketvar.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows versions of
these? Thanks!

CBFalconer

> I need to port some C code from UNIX SGI to Windows (MS VC++ compiler).
> The following header files arent available in windows:
> #include <sys/param.h>
> #include <sys/ioctl.h>
> #include <sys/socket.h>
> #include <sys/socketvar.h>
> #include <netinet/in.h>
> #include <sys/types.h>
> #include <sys/stat.h>
> #include <netdb.h>
> #include <arpa/inet.h>
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows versions of
> these? Thanks!

Those headers are not available in standard C, as discussed here.
Your code is not portable. What you need is the appropriate
libraries and their header files, not just the headers. For that
go to a group covering your peculiar system. It may well have
Microsoft in its name.

You will probably be better off avoiding windoze entirely and
switching to a linux system. Certainly cheaper and more reliable.

Eric Sosman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote On 05/01/06 10:13,:
> Hi,
>
> I need to port some C code from UNIX SGI to Windows (MS VC++ compiler).
> The following header files arent available in windows:
> #include <sys/param.h>
> #include <sys/ioctl.h>
> #include <sys/socket.h>
> #include <sys/socketvar.h>
> #include <netinet/in.h>
> #include <sys/types.h>
> #include <sys/stat.h>
> #include <netdb.h>
> #include <arpa/inet.h>

Bad news, Anand: They're not available in Standard C,
either.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows versions of
> these? Thanks!

Um, er, maybe somebody in a newsgroup that has "windows"
or "microsoft" in its name might know? Naaah -- that's too
obvious; try alt.rec.underwater.barbecue or something like it.

--
(E-Mail Removed)

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to port some C code from UNIX SGI to Windows (MS VC++ compiler).
>The following header files arent available in windows:
> #include <sys/param.h>
> #include <sys/ioctl.h>
> #include <sys/socket.h>
> #include <sys/socketvar.h>
> #include <netinet/in.h>
> #include <sys/types.h>
> #include <sys/stat.h>
> #include <netdb.h>
> #include <arpa/inet.h>

>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows versions of
>these? Thanks!

You can't, not really.

See however,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin